• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

not eating much, sleeping/curling up often, etc.

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my dragon is about 8 months old and has slowed down his appetite for the past few months, only finally pooping towards the end of december after some encouragement. i originally thought it was just signs of brumation, and on going to the vets they told me to keep him awake as much as possible, as brumation can affect a beardies growth if they are too young. but now i’m starting to suspect maybe it’s stress. on two occasions i noticed he has prominent stress marks on his belly, and i noticed he gets a little nervous when i open the tank, as i’ve had to handle him when he attempts to sleep. he eats waxworms if offered to him but not always, and the occasionally mealworm. i have caught him eating salad too, and i give him two baths daily with a vitamin powder for nutrition and hydration. he also had some worming medicine a while back, which was said to increase his appetite but not definitely. it didn’t really. i just want him to feel comfortable and safe but i think i must be doing something wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my dragon is about 8 months old and has slowed down his appetite for the past few months, only finally pooping towards the end of december after some encouragement. i originally thought it was just signs of brumation, and on going to the vets they told me to keep him awake as much as possible, as brumation can affect a beardies growth if they are too young. but now i’m starting to suspect maybe it’s stress. on two occasions i noticed he has prominent stress marks on his belly, and i noticed he gets a little nervous when i open the tank, as i’ve had to handle him when he attempts to sleep. he eats waxworms if offered to him but not always, and the occasionally mealworm. i have caught him eating salad too, and i give him two baths daily with a vitamin powder for nutrition and hydration. he also had some worming medicine a while back, which was said to increase his appetite but not definitely. it didn’t really. i just want him to feel comfortable and safe but i think i must be doing something wrong.
Ok usually dragons that are 1 year old or younger DO NOT brumate --- your vet should of gone over the lighting in the tank w/ you --- improper UVB and incorrect basking temps will bring on that type of behavior --- so first thing we need to do is start w/ the UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- you need a digital probe thermometer --- we will start there -- those two things I have just asked about are VERY IMPORTANT and control the behavior and over all health of the dragon

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok usually dragons that are 1 year old or younger DO NOT brumate --- your vet should of gone over the lighting in the tank w/ you --- improper UVB and incorrect basking temps will bring on that type of behavior --- so first thing we need to do is start w/ the UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- you need a digital probe thermometer --- we will start there -- those two things I have just asked about are VERY IMPORTANT and control the behavior and over all health of the dragon
the brand of UVB is Arcadia, same goes for the basking lamp. it’s a tube, so it stretches across the entire tank, and is inside of the tank. the basking temperature is between 34-35 degrees Celsius. (that was using a probe).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the brand of UVB is Arcadia, same goes for the basking lamp. it’s a tube, so it stretches across the entire tank, and is inside of the tank. the basking temperature is between 34-35 degrees Celsius. (that was using a probe).
Your Arcadia is the T 5 or T 8 and is it in a hood w/ reflector--? This is very important

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it is a T 5, and is in a hood with a reflector
Distance should be 12-15 inches from basking decor-- any closer it will be too strong-- I would lay off the bathing 2 times per week is over kill - it can really dry out the scales - I would recommend dusting the insects -- crickets dubia roaches or silk worms are real good staple feeders along w/ BSFL or calci worms --- those will not need to be dusted - as far as the appetite being off it can be related to the cold weather / and shedding or both -- they do slow down in the winter time and not eat as much they do more lazing around a lot of the are brumating now -- for hydration you can rinse the salads and he will get moisture thru that -- so your temps are good your basking temps are good - how is the poop? Any runniness or really stinky poop ? That could be signs of parasites which will throw the appetite off as well -- is he losing weight?

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Initial thoughts are that he might either have parasites or his UVB might have worn out and no longer be emitting the proper radiation levels. Assuming you had him as a hatchling and he grew up to the beautiful dragon in your pics, there shouldn't be anything foundationally wrong with your setup. The problem should be new. Since your vet dewormed him, it leads me to believe that your UVB light might be too old. Usually, the recommendation is that they be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on brand even if the light is unchanged, although some people get lucky and can use them for much longer without ill effects. I don't know the recommendations for Acadia but if you were not that lucky and it were to fizzle out at 6 months and you are currently on your 8th month, then it would explain things. You may just need to replace your UVB bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Initial thoughts are that he might either have parasites or his UVB might have worn out and no longer be emitting the proper radiation levels. Assuming you had him as a hatchling and he grew up to the beautiful dragon in your pics, there shouldn't be anything foundationally wrong with your setup. The problem should be new. Since your vet dewormed him, it leads me to believe that your UVB light might be too old. Usually, the recommendation is that they be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on brand even if the light is unchanged, although some people get lucky and can use them for much longer without ill effects. I don't know the recommendations for Acadia but if you were not that lucky and it were to fizzle out at 6 months and you are currently on your 8th month, then it would explain things. You may just need to replace your UVB bulb.
Arcadias T 5's are one year expiration date same as the Reptisun 10.0 T 5's

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he hasn’t lost any weig
Distance should be 12-15 inches from basking decor-- any closer it will be too strong-- I would lay off the bathing 2 times per week is over kill - it can really dry out the scales - I would recommend dusting the insects -- crickets dubia roaches or silk worms are real good staple feeders along w/ BSFL or calci worms --- those will not need to be dusted - as far as the appetite being off it can be related to the cold weather / and shedding or both -- they do slow down in the winter time and not eat as much they do more lazing around a lot of the are brumating now -- for hydration you can rinse the salads and he will get moisture thru that -- so your temps are good your basking temps are good - how is the poop? Any runniness or really stinky poop ? That could be signs of parasites which will throw the appetite off as well -- is he losing weight?
he hasn’t lost any weight, just a bit slower gaining it. his poop is fine though, normal texture and smell. thanks for the advice or staple foods, i’ll look into those.