• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating crickets

Kimberly Tse

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, we got my son a bearded dragon for Christmas. he’s about 5 months old. He eats everything fine but he will not eat crickets. Live freeze dried. Even if we hold them in front of him. He will eat any type of worm love or freeze dried he eats his veggies and fruits with no problems. But he won’t eat crickets. Is that ok? Should we try something different? Thank you.

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
What are the temps in the enclosure, if it’s potentially too cold he could just be in brumation. They sleep a lot and slow down on eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If he eats other things with no problem, my guess is he doesn’t like crickets. I have a dragon that will eat almost any kind of worm but refuses to eat dubia roaches. When she does eat one by “accident” she looks pained and hurt like she was completely betrayed LOL!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What are the temps in the enclosure, if it’s potentially too cold he could just be in brumation. They sleep a lot and slow down on eating

Since this dragon is only 5 months old it is not brumation. A dragon that is over a year is when brumation is "triggered" genetically when the weather gets cooler, but their bodies are grown and are able to support them as they sleep. But a baby/juv dragon is no where ready to enter brumation.

David Crouchman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, we got my son a bearded dragon for Christmas. he’s about 5 months old. He eats everything fine but he will not eat crickets. Live freeze dried. Even if we hold them in front of him. He will eat any type of worm love or freeze dried he eats his veggies and fruits with no problems. But he won’t eat crickets. Is that ok? Should we try something different? Thank you.
Are you getting the right size. They have to be the same size as the distance between the eyes. You could always try locusts. I don't feed mine crickets. He is fine with locusts you will probably need a size 2 or 3.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Kimberly Tse

Bearded Dragon Egg

Temps are between 80-100. He gets out and plays at least an hour each day. He’s active and seems happy.

Kimberly Tse

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you getting the right size. They have to be the same size as the distance between the eyes. You could always try locusts. I don't feed mine crickets. He is fine with locusts you will probably need a size 2 or 3.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Thank you. I’ll try those. They were smaller ones.

Kimberly Tse

Bearded Dragon Egg
Since this dragon is only 5 months old it is not brumation. A dragon that is over a year is when brumation is "triggered" genetically when the weather gets cooler, but their bodies are grown and are able to support them as they sleep. But a baby/juv dragon is no where ready to enter brumation.
Thank you. I am new to bearded dragons so I’m trying we are doing our best to keep him happy and healthy. He has the cutest personality and has really become a big part of the family. He does eat everything else with no problem. But he is getting spoiled and wants to eat out of our hands over eating out of his food dish. Lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps are between 80-100. He gets out and plays at least an hour each day. He’s active and seems happy.
you should bump that temp up to 107F it's amazing what a few degree's will do and how important they are.

Kimberly Tse

Bearded Dragon Egg
you should bump that temp up to 107F it's amazing what a few degree's will do and how important they are.

Ok I will. Also what should temps be at night? I have read various things. He has a dark purple heat lamp it doesn’t give off any light just heat. Is that ok?

He knows it’s sleep time when that one goes on. He climbs into a corner and puts his front legs under his head and goes to sleep. So he seems to enjoy it. I’m in so cal so it doesn’t get to cold here at night. The lowest in winter inside the house was probably about 63.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I will. Also what should temps be at night? I have read various things. He has a dark purple heat lamp it doesn’t give off any light just heat. Is that ok?

He knows it’s sleep time when that one goes on. He climbs into a corner and puts his front legs under his head and goes to sleep. So he seems to enjoy it. I’m in so cal so it doesn’t get to cold here at night. The lowest in winter inside the house was probably about 63.
They need the cool down at night so as long as it doesn't go below 65F they are just fine.... You shouldn't have any colored bulbs on day or night the ones at night casts shadows that their 3rd eye the organ on top their head not allowing them to fully rest and get the restorative rest that allows their bodies to do a re set sort of speak. They can see all color spectrum's. during the day they don't allow their pupils to function correctly and causes eye damage.

Last edited:

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you checked out the links that you find below several of our comments? the one that would be of interest for you would be the one about general info set up 1st timers.. These threads are also found in the general care section pinned at the top.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

So they need a 20 degree temp difference at night for their body systems to rest. Personally i would allow his body to do what comes natural. Provide him a hide on both warm and on cold side that he can go to to sleep, this hide will also be where when he's old enough to brumate..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk