• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating as much

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all!
My boy brain is not eating as much as we feel he should. We bought him on February 12 of 2021. I think he was at least 2 months old? He was 16 grams and 7.5 inches at the time. We got him from petsmart and they didn't give me a hatch day. I fed him live crickets as a daily feeder up until about mid September. We would also feed him as treat the occasional mealworm or hornworm or dubia roach. And a variety of veggies like kale, collard, green pepper and other stuff lightly like blueberries squash and strawberries. So mid September I switched to dubias as the staple insect. I started a colony for my reptiles and it became usable then.
Brain since then has been eating less insects. To the point where I'm lucky I can get him to eat a mealworm a day or a roach every three day. His veggie intake has also dropped. I feed him a cup of veggie a day usually but the past 3 weeks he's only eaten 4 out of the 7 days. I weighed him today and he was 421 grams. I think he's switched from bugs to veggies and is regulating his own diet, But my SO feels thiers a problem so to appease her I figured I'd write about it for advise. He is in a 4x2x2 enclosure with a 75watt zoomed heat lamp and a 24 inch t5 10.0uvb. He has a cave big enough he can fit in without it being cramped. A hammock. He has driftwood to lay on. He has black river rocks under his basking light for a basking spot its temp is 105. His substrate is sand, but I feed all food in a separate tank. He has access to water. I bathe him 2x a month.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all!
My boy brain is not eating as much as we feel he should. We bought him on February 12 of 2021. I think he was at least 2 months old? He was 16 grams and 7.5 inches at the time. We got him from petsmart and they didn't give me a hatch day. I fed him live crickets as a daily feeder up until about mid September. We would also feed him as treat the occasional mealworm or hornworm or dubia roach. And a variety of veggies like kale, collard, green pepper and other stuff lightly like blueberries squash and strawberries. So mid September I switched to dubias as the staple insect. I started a colony for my reptiles and it became usable then.
Brain since then has been eating less insects. To the point where I'm lucky I can get him to eat a mealworm a day or a roach every three day. His veggie intake has also dropped. I feed him a cup of veggie a day usually but the past 3 weeks he's only eaten 4 out of the 7 days. I weighed him today and he was 421 grams. I think he's switched from bugs to veggies and is regulating his own diet, But my SO feels thiers a problem so to appease her I figured I'd write about it for advise. He is in a 4x2x2 enclosure with a 75watt zoomed heat lamp and a 24 inch t5 10.0uvb. He has a cave big enough he can fit in without it being cramped. A hammock. He has driftwood to lay on. He has black river rocks under his basking light for a basking spot its temp is 105. His substrate is sand, but I feed all food in a separate tank. He has access to water. I bathe him 2x a month.
Your dragon is of good weight -- they will slow down in the winter time -- he for his size he maybe getting ready to go into brumation -- he is not quite a year old but he is of good weight --- keep offering food - I do recommend getting him off the sand -- it harbors bacteria and can cause impaction - here is some info on brumation

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
Can you direct me to information about starting a live substrate? My SO would like to go that way if we have to get off the play sand.
Thanks for the brumation info! I'll read that right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you direct me to information about starting a live substrate? My SO would like to go that way if we have to get off the play sand.
Thanks for the brumation info! I'll read that right now.
What is live substrate? Are you talking about a bioactive tank? If so you can watch the biodude website / video google him and contact wickedpogona -- shes a member on here and can answer more of your questions better than I