• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating and lazy... thoughts?

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
So toothless, girl, about 6-8 months old guessing? She is about 90 grams?
Been in her hide a lot for the last 3-4 weeks, if I get her out she seems totally normal and happy to hang out!
She is also not eating much at all, maybe 1 Super worm or 2 a Day, very little green stud if any some days.
We’re just to the vet, and dewormed again.. has very few.
Not sure what’s going on....
Any help?? Or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Know what you're going through!! Our little boy is 8 months we've had him since he was 2 months and he's always been very greedy and active but 4 weeks ago he stopped eating and just slept all day which I put down to brumation . He's still the same. Vets's given him the all clear and he looks healthy. Probably eating 4 roaches a day compared to his usual 25! It's worrying.

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
Mine has never been a huge eater, 4 to 5 super worms a day it was his max, Used to eat roaches also and crickets now he won’t be bothered to chase them…

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's the same! The few insects he is eating have to practically be waved in his face before he sluggishly takes them. Hoping some well informed dragon expert will comment on this behaviour

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would think a 6-8 month year old would be a little bit young to be brumating, but i could be wrong. I thought that they don't really start that until they're fully grown because they're constantly eating when they're growing. Maybe someone can hop in and confirm that or correct me. It is that time of year when temps get cooler and they want to nap so its within the realm of possibility.

When you have issues with your beardie not eating like you think he should, or it slows down, you want to check lighting, lighting, and more lighting. Gotta make sure your temps and UVBs are right and they're not having trouble digesting. If you want to post a picture of your viv, or let us know about your set up, we'd be happy to rule that out as a cause or help you with any corrections.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
its normal, dont worry. Mine are doing it now too, or at least one is. Even when they are too young to fully brumate, they still sense the seasonal change. The result is this, slowing down, semi-brumation. When my male went through it, it was only for a week, but I guess it varies. Just make sure there is food there and pretty much leave them to it. You only need to worry if there is a rapid weight loss, in which case its the usual, light/ temp check then vets.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragons that young do not brumate as they are still in their growth phase, check your husbandry like stated lighting, temps these are KEY if your UVB bulbs are old get new ones, with the changing of seasons many of us are upping the wattages of our bulbs to bring temps up because of the cold.
If over a year dragons may partially brumate, some just get lazy for a week or two.. some fully brumate..
VERY important if you suspect something is wrong get your dragon checked by a reptile vet and for sure get the fecal test to rule out parasites.. 2 times a year before fall and come spring to test fecals..

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
Here is my setup and lights, Lights are about seven months old so I’ve have replacements going in now.
99ec32500cb26197e41ddeafdc0790a3.jpg

81f68771f1d24f5a4ed5dfaee3e41657.jpg

1d475ca2a814b260f9c98673b5f2a9ed.jpg

Also in the dome light, one is a ceramic disc

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay, so whats the temperature right underneath the light where he basks? That looks to be a pretty tall viv.

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
Just checked... hammock is 100-105, and the branch top is 109-115

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
UVB should cover at least 2/3's of the tank. I would almost put your strip next to the dome fixture so it goes straight across the back.

How old are your UVB bulbs?

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
I can move the strip light over a bit to cover more, the bulbs were about eight months old, now they are about three days old

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
One other thing that I kinda learned when I got Dolly. After treatment for parasites they seem to eat less. As long as your girl is eating something each day and is pooping, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe add some probiotic to her diet and bee pollen to stimulate her.

When I first got Dolly, she ate like it was going out of style. I couldn't feed her enough, she was always hungry and pooped at least 4 times a day. After treatment for pinworms, she started pooping once a day or once every other day and didn't eat as much each day. Parasites take a lot of nutrients away from the dragon making it eat more because it's trying to replace them. Once the parasites are gone, there is nothing sharing the food with them so they don't need to eat as much.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I can move the strip light over a bit to cover more, the bulbs were about eight months old, now they are about three days old

The bulbs were 8 months old? Did you use them before for something? Remember the Reptisun T8 bulb needs to be replaced every 5-6months if used over the mesh of the tank.

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
There was a time during that eight months they were not used for about a month so maybe slightly overdue. They are all new now