• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nose blockage, plz helpp

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I gave spyro sum baby food the other day n its all gone up his nose n its all blocked!, can he breathe? How do I get it out??

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If its baby food just was it away in a soak.
Its more than likely just a nose plug cause by shedding. Dragons shed the skin inside their nostril as well.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
wow, that sounds scary..im new to these guys so I wouldnt have any idea...hope everything works out! I didnt know they shed the skin in the nostril! thats interesting.

Rhys

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmmm, this is quite a pickle you have here... If he is not gaping then he can still breathe via his nostrils, yet the fact of getting the blockage out I imagine can be addressed by misting him with water. Just don't spray right up there... If the blockage becomes moistened it should just pop out bit by bit. Just try doing this around 3 times a day for h
A handful of days, but if he is gaping on a regular basis take him to your reptile expert, the vets should know one. Hope I helped

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gaping isnt a sign of not being able to breath. Its thermoregulation. Lets go out on a limb and say the nostril it blocked hard. The pooper still has another nostril. My question is why are you even feeding baby food?? Even in a sick dragon I have never had to resort to using it.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sick dragons should be fed a mixture of critical care and carnivore care. baby food is ok short term but not the best option. the plug will eventually come out so dont worry!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A soak or 2 should take care of this, I wouldn't sweat it. @ Tom - 2 years ago 1 of my dragons picked up a parasite from a bad batch of feeders. After treatment & during recovery my vet recommended baby food to trigger an appetite & it actually worked, not sure if the colors or smells attract them. I do agree with Richard that it is only good 4 short term use because products like Critical Care are available but I was amazed at how it worked. My Vet's college roommate paid for all of his schooling by breeding dragons & think this tip might have been passed on from him. I agree, it is a strange method but it does or can work.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks guys we are giving him a couple baths a day at the mo as the vet recommended to, to.help.him go to the toilet and yes the vet also recommended baby food, but yes it isnt good long term but he hasnt eaten in a week n half and hes underweight a hes only 82grams and hes 6months old :/ since we have been giving him the baby food hes showing a bit more interest in his food but.still not eating, I will try misting him n hopefully the baby food will make its way out, thanks guys

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
A couple of comments: 1st, I use a soft baby toothbrush sometimes when soaking my beardie, especially during his late shed stage (when old skin starts to fall off naturally). I very gently brush his entire body, face, tummy, toes and all. When his nose sheds, I gently remove the nose plug either with the brush or by hand - no biggie. 2nd, I feed baby food to my 15 month old and have done so for 9 months. At times, he turns his head at the last minute and thus can get a nose full of peas but dipping the brush in warm water and giving his face a quick wash does the trick of cleaning him up nicely!

FYI = I've been feeding baby food because my dragon got sick last October and refused to eat ANYTHING for over 2.5 weeks. In desperation, I tried baby food and it worked. But because he had a bad case of parasites, he was on meds from November-February which made him not want to eat much. He went off crickets completely (has never gone back) and it took me weeks to get him eating any protein at all - now he's addicted to supers! In the process of his treatment and recovery (November-March), he also stopped eating salad COMPLETELY. He's never gone back to this either! Because he needs his veg and because he WILL eat baby food (via a meds dropper), I resorted to feeding him this way for the last 9 months.....it's a full time job - lol.

Vet said it's not opptimal of course but it's fine as long as he gets some protein, vitamins and calcium weekly. Now w/this said, don't misunderstand, I do TRY to get him back on salad buttttt.....I've created a spoiled diva and he holds out for his baby food! He's really good at the holding out thing. Currently we're in an 11 day stand off......I'm trying to get him to eat salad and he's refusing (shocker).

I've cut his supers intake in half for the last 11 days, I've not offered baby food but instead I've given him a daily dish of beautiful mixed greens and fruit. So far, he has not touched a single bite! He's been offered bok choy, kale, mustard greens, parsley, basil, clover, petunias, dandelion greens, green & red pepper, carrots, tomatoes, zuchini, squash, pumpkin, kiwi and red & green apples....he has not so much as eaten a single piece. I've tried putting his worms in it, I've tried dusting it, I've tried feeding in his viv, in his feeder tank, outside in the sun, in the AM, in the PM, after bath, etc......no success. I'm about to give up AGAIN and resort back to the baby food......dragon, 10/me, 0!

Bottom line Kaykayy - your guy will probably be fine. If the nose is still plugged, try the soft brush idea. If your guy is eating salad at all - congratulations. If not, baby food works too, it's just not the best thing for them. Only resort to it if you absolutely HAVE to (see above saga)!

Best wishes - Cheers

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi packman, thankyou for that info.i found that really helpful and interesting, thankyou..good news tho, spyro ate 4 waxworms today! By himself! For the first time in 2weeks :) so was it the babyfood that inticed him to eat? Ive been givin him alsorts of different flavours, strawberry n apples, broccli n peas, n carrot n parsnips, I kno that sweet food does intice them, im just so happy he ate by himself, we really thought we was going to lose him, his nose is fine now and it has all come out due to me bathing him everyday and trickling water on his nose aswell as gently rubbin it with a wet cotton bud, so spyro might not even go bk to crickets......do u think he was just eating today cuz he was so hungry or that he IS actually on the mend?im hoping hes on the mend now, he must be else he wouldnt eat I guess?

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
KayKayy,

Sorry for the delay (I don't log in everyday). To answer your question, yes, the baby food did make him more interested in eating....my problem was, it didn't make him interested in eating his salad (as I had hoped). It only seemed to make him interested in eating his protein (a/k/a super worms). I started it in hopes that it would only be temporary; just to get him thru his parasite problem. Never did I image I'd still be feeding him via a dropper for the rest of his life!

I do feed wax worms but only every couple of weeks as a treat. Otherwise my guy gets supers every other day. He's 15 months / 18.5 inches so he can put away 10+ supers per feeding; when he's really hungry, he'll eat close to 20! Which makes him look more like a pack man frog afterwards than a dragon - lol!

Today he too didn't want to eat much - only 3 supers, which is fine w/me cuz I'm still holding out on the baby food hoping he'll give in and go for the salad I offer every day. If I have to give up and go back to jar food, I do switch it up every week in terms of flavors. One week he'll get squash and applesauce, the next week he'll get green beans and mixed berries, etc. I try not to give him any baby food with alot of starch or protein. One, because they don't need it and two, because he eats protein on his own, it's only the veg we have difficulty with. I also do not feed any carbs either; no baby food w/grain - cereal, rice, oatmeal, etc.

I'm beginning to think I just have a very spoil dragon and that he is too lazy to eat salad. He'd rather lick up the baby food cuz it may feel better in his tum tum (no digestion required)! I will say this however, on his current diet, BMs are a bit slow. Supers take a while to go thru! Slow BMs make for stinky clean ups - lol Currently, I'm searching for a local supply of Horn or Silk worms to add to the menu cuz I've heard beardies get bored of the same-old-same-old which can lead to a slow down in eating.....maybe your guy is bored; just saying.

Glad to see that your nose troubles are over! But welcome to the world of picky eaters - once they start this behavior, I'm told they can stick w/it for life which can make ownership challenging. I'll cross my fingers your dude is just going thru a temporary slump. He's young so eating at his age should not be a problem. Just keep offering salad EVERY DAY. Find a good vet in your area and put his # in your cell phone. Invest in good quality care, organic food, education and daily attention. You'll end up w/a recipe for a long and happy life for your Spyro & Zuko!

Best Wishes - Cheers

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks packman, I really do hope hes just re-adjusting himself to eating again and he will be back on his salad n crickets in no time ive been giving him quite a few waxworms just to get his weight back on track as hes quite underweight, but I really need him to get bk onto his crickets, I have been giving him organic baby food and I range from strawberry n kiwi, carrots apples n parsnip, and brocclli and peas, I bb's ometimes add a little vitamin powder to the baby food just for goodness hes not interested in any greens I put in, not even his cress where zukos cress is usually gone within a day! Lol, I really appreciate you taking time to give me all this help and advice :)