• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

No crickets or dubia roaches?

Ryan Konieczka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is there another alternative to crickets or dubias for a 4 month old beardie, when it comes to protein? I'd like something i can breed in house. I've been doing crickets, but I hate the noise and the jumping. My wife wont go for dubias being in the house (No garage). I've got a small breeding center for mealworms, but I understand that those can be fattening. What's a good feeder I can breed indoors that aren't dubias or crickets?

Also, I don't mind having a small collection of crickets, but I want something reliable I can breed for the beardie. I looked up silkworms, but I don't know how reliable those guys will be pumping out more worms. I use a file cabinet-looking thing to hold the crickets and mealworms. I'd like something I can keep in there, if possible.

Ryan Konieczka

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only thing I can think of is Black Soldier Fly Larvea--- or BSFL--also known as nutri grubs but I dont think any one I know breeds them -- they are full of calcium and dont require dusting -- the only thing is they are small and hes going to need to eat like a lot ---- your best bet is dubia roaches here is some info on them --
Dubias
· Wide range of sizes
· Long life span
· Excellent nutrition
· Easy to digest
· High in protein

Convenient for you
· Odorless and soundless
· Will not infest your home
· Can be stored out of sight
· Easy to care for
· Cannot jump, fly or climb

they are easy to care for and can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium -- fed carrots apples squash strawberries and of course dubia food --- I was really skeptical about them at first but I like them way better than crickets -- I hated them things plus they dont last --- dubias last for a long time --- plus they are way more healthier than crickets ------------- show this post to your wife and at least try them out --- they can be ordered on line from suppliers --- please dont feed the little one meal worms they are for adult dragons --- meal worms have a hard exo skeleton that babies cant digest ----- try butter worms they are fattening ---horn worms for hydration -- supers very sparingly as they too can be harsh and not used as staple --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
your dragon should be offered salad every day ---- check out the website for a variety of greens etc - make sure the bugs your feeding are gutloaded or hydrated as beardies get most of their hydration from the bugs-----------
kaylyn

Got a site to suggest purchasing from, if i decide on going for it? I live in the midwest area.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Got a site to suggest purchasing from, if i decide on going for it? I live in the midwest area.
Symtonbsf.com is a good source to get the BSFL from. You can get them in bulk, and if you keep them cool they last longer. I've used mini/portable electric coolers for that. You want something not quite refrigerator cold.

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your best bet would be to try to educate your wife on the benefits of dubias, use the info Kaylyn posted and remind her that they are nothing like the common north American roach, they cant climb, and even if a pair do happen to get loose they can not naturally reproduce in our climate. They are one of the easiest insects to raise and more nutritious than most other options.

Sandra Hirst

Bearded Dragon Egg
As far as live feeders go, there is no comparison to Dubias. Bsfl are mainly bred outdoors as the larvae eat just about anything and it has to be fairly moist which could lead to unpleasant odors. When they turn into flies, there are almost always escapees so indoors is not suitable, even though the flies only drink water and nothing else. They don't eat.
Turks are real escape artists even with tape and vaseline at the top of their bins.
Dubias are not difficult to breed at all. From nymph to adult, approx 5 months. Another week for the female to breed and then the nymphs hatch at around 65 days from then. She carries her oothica (egg sac) within and the nymphs are born live. She looks after them for around a week and then breeds again. Food needed is decent quality cat pellets for dry food and sliced carrots/potatoes for moisture. I give them no water source at all but do lightly mist their bins/tubs/totes once every 3rd day for a little humidity. They are clean roaches and no noticeable adour. You can put cleaner crew insects in the tubs, but I personally don't. In about 8 months from now my colonies should reach around 300-400k. As mentioned the Turks (Red Runners are escape artists and do have an odour eventually). Unfortunately silkworms are seasonal so not a constant supply for the beardies. We dont have wax worms in S.Africa so I breed what we do get here. Dubias, crickets, Meal and Super worms, Turks, Hissers, Bsfl and Red Wigglers.

TheSauce

Bearded Dragon Egg
I lied to my family and told him it was dubia Beatles. And that they can't breed at room temperature. Lol