• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie!

Grantjmit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a young bearded dragon in a 40gal terrarium. I just had a lighting question. I have a 150watt heat lamp for basking, a compact florescent 10.0 reptisun uvb bulb, and a 100watt bulb at the cooler end. Each bulb is in a deep light fixture. Is this enough UVB for my enclosure? The temps are in the right range, just wondering about UVB. Thank you!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
There is no need for an extra bulb on the cooler end of the tank, especially since beardies like to have a darker area in the tank to escape the light and heat. Having the extra bulb can make it harder to set up a proper heat gradient, and it wastes electricity.

The compact bulbs, regardless of brand, don't provide much UVB. The UVB they do provide is only in one area, so the beardie doesn't get enough of it. Certain brands can also damage the eyes. A Reptisun 10.0 tube light in a reflective fixture is the best choice for UVB.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the site!
Yes that UVB should be OK. It's not ideal as described above but it can work. I'd center it so it's covering the most area