• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie!!!

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! I'm looking to buy 2 baby beardies. Any suggestions on how to start? Any type of beardie better than another? Was looking to put both in a 40 gallon tank. Tank suggestions? Lighting? I've been reading up on the care and all the info for new parents...lol. But would love to hear from you guys.

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
I Would separate them, but if you cant do 2 tanks at once, then at least tile they are 6 months then they should be separated. Thats just my opinion. Others may say longer. But as adults, I wouldnt put them together.

Tank is preference of yours based on budget, most will tell you a 40 min. That what I have mine in, but I am starting to build her forever enclosure which is about 130 gallons. I would say 75 and above is best for adults. 40 gals is fine for them as littles.

Read and look at tank set ups. Price it out. Total start up for me was around 700 with the purchase of her as well, I went a little more expensive. Luckily the wife loves me lol.

Here is my set up. Its the Thrive 40 Bearded dragon set up from petsmart. I changed the lighting almost immediately. Do not use the coil uvb, its the worst. I used one of the hygrometer and thermometer combos, added digital one with a digital temp probe thermometer and added 2 digital hyrometers. I probably have more than I need but I like to be sure. I am very OCD. Added an 18" uvb strip light and a 150w bulb.

20200516_08193.jpg

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
I love your set up!! So I can get that from Petsmart? What lighting are you using? And does all the decoration come with set up? should I get the same sex beardies?

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
I got her from a breeder in PA.

As far as decoration, I bought the hammock and wood log. Oh and the little Joker is from my batman collection lol.
You can save some money if you find a good piece of driftwood in a river, just let it dry, throw it in the oven for 30 mins at 350 and you can use that. I should have done that but loved this piece I got.

Lighting I have a 150w basking lamp and a t5 18" uvb tube light with fixture.

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
While we're talking,,,, what do you think about Mercury bulbs? 2 in one..

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
So here is my set up and my new friend. Any suggestions? He is in the bottom left in the water bowl.

Attachments

• Beardie.jpg
    Beardie.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
Why are you not a fan? Just curious, trying to set up my own tank and my husband uses those for his tortoise.

Not a fan for Beardies.... The dual and coil lights can hurt their eyes in the long run. Certain animals can use those, I just dont like them for Beardies.

So here is my set up and my new friend. Any suggestions? He is in the bottom left in the water bowl.

It looks ok. I would definitely get a digital probe thermometer and hygrometer.

Is that the 40?

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes...getting a digital therm/hydr..yes it's a 40. He likes to lay in the water for a bit..that normal or ok?? He was doing that when I bought him.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
I Would separate them, but if you cant do 2 tanks at once, then at least tile they are 6 months then they should be separated. Thats just my opinion. Others may say longer. But as adults, I wouldnt put them together.

Tank is preference of yours based on budget, most will tell you a 40 min. That what I have mine in, but I am starting to build her forever enclosure which is about 130 gallons. I would say 75 and above is best for adults. 40 gals is fine for them as littles.

Read and look at tank set ups. Price it out. Total start up for me was around 700 with the purchase of her as well, I went a little more expensive. Luckily the wife loves me lol.

Here is my set up. Its the Thrive 40 Bearded dragon set up from petsmart. I changed the lighting almost immediately. Do not use the coil uvb, its the worst. I used one of the hygrometer and thermometer combos, added digital one with a digital temp probe thermometer and added 2 digital hyrometers. I probably have more than I need but I like to be sure. I am very OCD. Added an 18" uvb strip light and a 150w bulb.

View attachment 22227
i can't help but notice you have your substrate as sand this is very bad as it can cause impaction i'd recommend repti-carpet but i house my beardie on excavator clay[it's like what they live on in the wild they don't live in a desert with sand they live in arid forests and scrubland that has a mixture of clay and dirt.]Sand is very bad for them because it causes impaction and when they try to dig it damages their joints i used to have mine on sand but when a vet told me this i went and got repti-carpet and now i switched him to something more natural and that is excavator clay

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
i can't help but notice you have your substrate as sand this is very bad as it can cause impaction i'd recommend repti-carpet but i house my beardie on excavator clay[it's like what they live on in the wild they don't live in a desert with sand they live in arid forests and scrubland that has a mixture of clay and dirt.]Sand is very bad for them because it causes impaction and when they try to dig it damages their joints i used to have mine on sand but when a vet told me this i went and got repti-carpet and now i switched him to something more natural and that is excavator clay
Its desert color mat..no sand

ashb41685

Bearded Dragon Egg

View attachment 22227
Hi! So you use sand? I do too but I hear so many negatives