• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie in need: Is he brumating or is he sick?

Zax

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone,
A week or two ago I have has Sherlock refuse to eat anything I have to offer. He is lethargic and all he wants to do is sleep. When I pick him up, I'm not sure if hes gulping or trying to find room for his tongue. It doesn't seem swollen persay, but I'm pretty new to this behavior if it is one.

I took him to the vet and his results came up with a hemoglobin count of 10% and a glucose of 975! The vet thinks it can be due to a tumor in his stomach (GNT) and that I should give him the critical care powder to see if I can raise that count higher. I've read that spikes in sugar can also be due to stress. I don't know what to do at this point, i don't want to stress him by force feeding anymore.

Zax

Bearded Dragon Egg
JPEG_20180809_153818.jpg

Hes been pale and black as well

unknown.png

This is the blood and fecal results

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry Zax :( If he has a tumor in his stomach, it doesn't sound like anything can be done for him.

Where did you get him from? Was he a rescue?

Zax

Bearded Dragon Egg
So sorry Zax :( If he has a tumor in his stomach, it doesn't sound like anything can be done for him.

Where did you get him from? Was he a rescue?

I got him at a petco, I don't know hes so alert at times and now hes back to his original beige color. We haven't done an ultra sound or x-ray of him as I don't currently have the funds for that, but I keep getting the feeling that he also wants to go through with the brumation. Hnnn I wish it wasn't the tumor and I'm still hoping that it really isn't.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This doesn’t look like brumation and even if it was, you need to keep him awake. You don’t want a sick dragon to brumate. Keep trying to get the critical care in him. Try to make your own slurries too with healthy greens and a bit of water and supplements. Avoid any kind of fruit.