• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie here!

Captain.Nib

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I'm new here!

My rescue, Nib, and I have been together for 4 years, and I cared for an old girl, ZeeZee, for 3years previous to Nib's arrival.

I'm actually here because I've noticed a weird growth appear on Nib's side and am a little concerned since I've never witnessed anything like it in my 7yrs as a lizard Mumma.

If anyone can point me in the direction of where I might find some help/advice, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to finding my way around the community

Captain.Nib

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi and welcome! May we see a picture of the growth?
Thank you, and yes of course.
I didn't get a picture of the growth itself, and a hard ball has since fallen out, leaving
20210317_191258.jpg
this hole with a solid edging..it doesn't seem to bother him, I've just never seen anything like it.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thats super weird, idk what im looking at, his lateral spines are above it so its not one of those obviously, when it was intacked what did the head of it look like? Super weird, atleast whatever it was either popped or left, was there blood at all? What kind of setup does the beardie have? Could he of gotten a splinter ? Definitely get it nice and clean and try to keep crud out of it if u can.

Captain.Nib

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is odd, isn't it! His set up is half tiles, half sand-mat, and his branch is as smooth as you like, so I can't see that it's a splinter from anything.
There was no blood at all, it just kinda popped out (with a little tease from me, I was really puzzled by it) it was a solid mass of something, but I was able to break it in bits with my sharp nails, it was kind of almost chalky. Like maybe a really condensed pus/spot or something?

As I said, he doesn't seem bothered by it. I'm doing my best to keep it clean, and hopefully the hole will heal itself soon enough.

It's just very odd, isn't it?

Thank you so much for your input! It's been greatly appreciated!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The only things i can think of is either a bug stung him(very unlikely) its a lizard pimple????? it almost looks like a pore, the fact that it has scales right up to it is very odd(not concerning but weird) are you shure this just showed up one day ? Or was it something hes had for a while ? (Im in no way trying to question ur recollection, im curious myself) can u try to get another picture of it like a super close up?

Captain.Nib

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only things i can think of is either a bug stung him(very unlikely) its a lizard pimple????? it almost looks like a pore, the fact that it has scales right up to it is very odd(not concerning but weird) are you shure this just showed up one day ? Or was it something hes had for a while ? (Im in no way trying to question ur recollection, im curious myself) can u try to get another picture of it like a super close up?
There had been a hard patch for a little bit but nothing poking out or anything, so I passed it off as just a tough spot...it all kind of just came to a head at the weekend.
Here's a closer pic, it's not great..but the hole is kind of like a massive open pore!
20210318_220146.jpg

Maybe it was some kind of a bug bite, he does come outside with me sometimes!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That just so bizarre looking, I have no clue what where when why how, if another one pops up id immediately get him an appointment , its good it came to a head, if u have a pair of fine tip tweezers next bath time see if u can get out anything out from inside it, it looks like theres still dead material still inside or maybe its just the lighting ?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new here!

My rescue, Nib, and I have been together for 4 years, and I cared for an old girl, ZeeZee, for 3years previous to Nib's arrival.

I'm actually here because I've noticed a weird growth appear on Nib's side and am a little concerned since I've never witnessed anything like it in my 7yrs as a lizard Mumma.

If anyone can point me in the direction of where I might find some help/advice, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to finding my way around the community
Hi; take the Beardie to the vets asap for this; I’m not familiar; it could be a tumor or growth; but best to have a good reptile vet see him to be certain. Also make sure the uvb long tubular bulb is replaced every 6Mnths & that u are using only a clear bulb for heat; the best is zoomed. Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs; it burns their eyes. and all lights off at nite; they like pure dark & quiet like humans & u cannot keep lights on at nite. If Beardie needs warmth buy a 60watt ceramic heat emitter to use in the winter.

Captain.Nib

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all,
Just to let you know how it went with the vet.
It seems to have been a cyst of some sort, and has sorted itself out. Nib's acting normal and the area is sealed so the vet doesn't feel the need for any meds or creams or anything.
It's just one of those things, apparently...

At least we have peace of mind now though!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all,
It seems to have been a cyst of some sort, and has sorted itself out. Nib's acting normal and the area is sealed so the vet doesn't feel the need for any meds or creams or anything.

Good to hear- did they drain it?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey all,

Phew! Glad to hear it was nothing too serious and that it sorted itself out. So happy Nib is fine! :)