• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie here!

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone! I am completely new at owning a dragon. I’ve been doing extensive research and have finally ordered everything I think I need to keep a happy, healthy dragon. (I hope) I ended up going with a MVB with a 64 gallon terrarium hoping this was the right thing to do...my plan is to get everything set up by the end of next week. I’ve seen so many conflicting things about whether or not I need vitamin d3 with a MVB...I ordered the repti-cal with the D3 hoping it was the right choice, especially since the enclosure is on the larger side. I found this forum and am hoping to get some answers for this question, and many many more questions to come.... Thanks for any and all help! Also, is there anything you think I need to know as a first timer that may not be readily available online? I’ve read so much, it’s all starting to run together. I’ll take all the help I can get!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone! I am completely new at owning a dragon. I’ve been doing extensive research and have finally ordered everything I think I need to keep a happy, healthy dragon. (I hope) I ended up going with a MVB with a 64 gallon terrarium hoping this was the right thing to do...my plan is to get everything set up by the end of next week. I’ve seen so many conflicting things about whether or not I need vitamin d3 with a MVB...I ordered the repti-cal with the D3 hoping it was the right choice, especially since the enclosure is on the larger side. I found this forum and am hoping to get some answers for this question, and many many more questions to come.... Thanks for any and all help! Also, is there anything you think I need to know as a first timer that may not be readily available online? I’ve read so much, it’s all starting to run together. I’ll take all the help I can get!
Welcome to beardie world- the mvb is brand and bulb please--- you will need the calcium D 3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene- I can help w/ getting the tank set up and diet and substrate- please ask

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome to beardie world- the mvb is brand and bulb please--- you will need the calcium D 3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene- I can help w/ getting the tank set up and diet and substrate- please ask
Thank you for replying! I have the zoo med power sun uv 100w bulb. My terrarium is 48x18x18. Can a bearded dragon get too much D3? I read that the D3 in the MVB was enough? So many different things online...lol. Just wondering what everyone here does with vitamins if using a Mercury vapor bulb. I also ordered the Flukers liquid vitamin lizard supplement to put on the food. When I get everything in (ordered everything yesterday) I will post more questions on setup...I would love the input! I’m super excited! Never owned a reptile before....currently just have a bird and a dog.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for replying! I have the zoo med power sun uv 100w bulb. My terrarium is 48x18x18. Can a bearded dragon get too much D3? I read that the D3 in the MVB was enough? So many different things online...lol. Just wondering what everyone here does with vitamins if using a Mercury vapor bulb. I also ordered the Flukers liquid vitamin lizard supplement to put on the food. When I get everything in (ordered everything yesterday) I will post more questions on setup...I would love the input! I’m super excited! Never owned a reptile before....currently just have a bird and a dog.
Yes it is possible to over feed D3 -- ok the Power Sun is good here is the distance info on this bulb I dont personally use them but there are a few people that do that know more about them Here is the info I have for the Power Sun and Mega Ray the 100w version of each should be at around 12'' or so without any screen in front of it. Using a screen top, they should be maybe 8-10'' away or using the 160w versions should be around 14-16'' away through a screen. I don't have measurements from the output of the 160w versions, but I do have the 100w and can verify the outputs.
Your liquid calcium is only going to be good IF the dragon is eating the salads -- alot of them will not eat them so its always recommended to dust the insects because we know hes going to eat them --- his diet should consist of 80% insects now and 20 % salads -- but you want him eating those salads even if only a little bit --- that is why I always recommend getting BSFL to lure them to the bowl -- you can feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder those you DO NOT dust they are calcium enriched --- now for the Power Sun some of those MVB do not emit enough UVB and often it is recommended that another tube fixture UVB be added to the tank - that way you know hes getting adequate UVB a Reptisun T 8 can be added inside the tank for that exposure -- the UVB helps the dragon absorb / synthesize the calcium he needs to prevent MBD and neurological issues along w/ many other health issues -- calcium D3 should be dusted on his insects 5 x per week once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- bearded dragons are unique they will not show signs of illness till they can no longer or about dead -- it is in their nature to hide it --- that is why correct basking temps and correct UVB is imperative to the tank --- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps NO stick ons they are good for ambient temps ONLY -- please ask if you have more questions -- I can post websites for more insects / worms and a nutrition website as well

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Yes it is possible to over feed D3 -- ok the Power Sun is good here is the distance info on this bulb I dont personally use them but there are a few people that do that know more about them Here is the info I have for the Power Sun and Mega Ray the 100w version of each should be at around 12'' or so without any screen in front of it. Using a screen top, they should be maybe 8-10'' away or using the 160w versions should be around 14-16'' away through a screen. I don't have measurements from the output of the 160w versions, but I do have the 100w and can verify the outputs.
Your liquid calcium is only going to be good IF the dragon is eating the salads -- alot of them will not eat them so its always recommended to dust the insects because we know hes going to eat them --- his diet should consist of 80% insects now and 20 % salads -- but you want him eating those salads even if only a little bit --- that is why I always recommend getting BSFL to lure them to the bowl -- you can feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder those you DO NOT dust they are calcium enriched --- now for the Power Sun some of those MVB do not emit enough UVB and often it is recommended that another tube fixture UVB be added to the tank - that way you know hes getting adequate UVB a Reptisun T 8 can be added inside the tank for that exposure -- the UVB helps the dragon absorb / synthesize the calcium he needs to prevent MBD and neurological issues along w/ many other health issues -- calcium D3 should be dusted on his insects 5 x per week once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- bearded dragons are unique they will not show signs of illness till they can no longer or about dead -- it is in their nature to hide it --- that is why correct basking temps and correct UVB is imperative to the tank --- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps NO stick ons they are good for ambient temps ONLY -- please ask if you have more questions -- I can post websites for more insects / worms and a nutrition website as well
This is very helpful!! Thank you so much!!!! I’m sure I’ll be back for more advice when everything comes in that I’ve ordered, and when we bring our little guy home!