• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newb with a Juvenile

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all. I’m new to the bearded dragon game. I’m sure a bunch of this has been covered somewhere on this forum BUT I’d like to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before going to town.

The girl is 4 months old. We pick her up Friday!!
We have a 40gal enclosure
Basking bulb not sure wattage
Reptisun t5 for UVB

ENCLOSURE
im shooting for an average ambient temp of 75degrees day time
70degrees at night NO colored bulb

Basking spot 100 degrees? I’m seeing this temp will change with age?
T-5 bulb (I learned to add big hole screen to keep the UVB on top of VS small hole screen)

A hide in both the basking and cool side?

I’m making some fake rocks (using water based polycrylic for sealing) hope that’s ok!

FEEDING::
Dubia roaches, crickets, superworms

Salads- little unsure EXACTLY what is recommended in that category and saw I should put the worms in the salad?

I have a calcium powder with D3 any other powders??

Is there anything else to prepare for or add to my list? Just trying to make it as perfect for her as we can when she arrives! She’s pictured below. Thanks all!

Attachments

• D05C7BE0-FC15-4513-AC5E-3F5E5CC36F65.jpeg
    D05C7BE0-FC15-4513-AC5E-3F5E5CC36F65.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all. I’m new to the bearded dragon game. I’m sure a bunch of this has been covered somewhere on this forum BUT I’d like to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before going to town.

The girl is 4 months old. We pick her up Friday!!
We have a 40gal enclosure
Basking bulb not sure wattage
Reptisun t5 for UVB

ENCLOSURE
im shooting for an average ambient temp of 75degrees day time
70degrees at night NO colored bulb

Basking spot 100 degrees? I’m seeing this temp will change with age?
T-5 bulb (I learned to add big hole screen to keep the UVB on top of VS small hole screen)

A hide in both the basking and cool side?

I’m making some fake rocks (using water based polycrylic for sealing) hope that’s ok!

FEEDING::
Dubia roaches, crickets, superworms

Salads- little unsure EXACTLY what is recommended in that category and saw I should put the worms in the salad?

I have a calcium powder with D3 any other powders??

Is there anything else to prepare for or add to my list? Just trying to make it as perfect for her as we can when she arrives! She’s pictured below. Thanks all!
All sounds good - you need two digital probe thermometers this is a must - surface basking temps 105-110 - uvb placed directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches- bsfl on top of salads used as lures if she's not eating them - I can post a website later- yes temp will change w/ age 6 months or so 95-100-- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding dusted on the insects- calcium 5 x per week ONCE per feeding dusted on the insects - day time temps cool side 80's night time 65-75

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
could you post exactly what you’re using? “Bsfl” I’m guessing a simple google search will lead me to that?

Vitamins with beta carotene-any particular brand?

To raise the enclosure temp, add a light BESIDES the basking light?? So 3 bulbs. Uvb, basking, and what type of light to raise temp?

Also, thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
could you post exactly what you’re using? “Bsfl” I’m guessing a simple google search will lead me to that?

Vitamins with beta carotene-any particular brand?

To raise the enclosure temp, add a light BESIDES the basking light?? So 3 bulbs. Uvb, basking, and what type of light to raise temp?

Also, thank you!
What wattage now? Please look on bulb it will tell you- you can either up the wattage add another dome and use like a 75 watt or so - you need the digital probe thermometers to tell you -- you dont want to cook her -- or are you talking about cool side of the tank? cool side of the tank if your middle of the tank is 90's the cool side should go to 80's

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
The basking bulb is 100W.

I was curious what type of bulb is recommended for just adding heat to the enclosure. So as long as my enclosure temp is 80 with a basking spot of 105-110 that’ll be ok??

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
So the thermometers that get stuck on the side of the enclosure and a heat gun wouldn’t be sufficient? Get the probe type?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So the thermometers that get stuck on the side of the enclosure and a heat gun wouldn’t be sufficient? Get the probe type?
The stick ons are ambient only -- the IR guns are good but some times they are off because of the decor material - they cannot read off of hammocks as an example - probes are the most accurate --

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
The stick ons are ambient only -- the IR guns are good but some times they are off because of the decor material - they cannot read off of hammocks as an example - probes are the most accurate --
Perfect! I’ll get on ordering 2. One for each side of the enclosure! Thank you. The basking bulb is there a “no go” bulb. I’ve read the UVB “coil” type is a no go but don’t know much about the basking bulbs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking bulb is 100W.

I was curious what type of bulb is recommended for just adding heat to the enclosure. So as long as my enclosure temp is 80 with a basking spot of 105-110 that’ll be ok??
where in the tank is the 80? You want 3 temps in the tank ---- surface basking spot 105-110 for now till hes / shes over 6 months - then it should drop to 95-100 most older dragons do not like real hot temps- 90's in the middle of the tank and cool side low side 80's -- ambient temps around your surface basking area 100 or so -- adding heat can be gotten by a low wattage basking bulb or you can use a house hold bulb in a dome like 40-60 watt - these are the old house hold bulbs not LEDS' they do not produce heat --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Perfect! I’ll get on ordering 2. One for each side of the enclosure! Thank you. The basking bulb is there a “no go” bulb. I’ve read the UVB “coil” type is a no go but don’t know much about the basking bulbs.
You want a clear bright white basking bulb -- like Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen --- no off white or yellowish bulb and no Neodymium bulbs
the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking instead.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Example of the Neodymium is Day time bulbs

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
You want a clear bright white basking bulb -- like Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen --- no off white or yellowish bulb and no Neodymium bulbs
the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking instead.
Perfect! I’ll see exactly what I got and make sure it fits and buy what you’re recommending! Thank you so much

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Example of the Neodymium is Day time bulbs
Ok. I’ll check mine and find out to make sure it’s bright white.

As for the UVB and the screen type. This is a 40gal 18” high. If I put the UVB inside the enclosure, will that be too close? Im not sure where to find the wide hole screen to replace what is currently there?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I’ll check mine and find out to make sure it’s bright white.

As for the UVB and the screen type. This is a 40gal 18” high. If I put the UVB inside the enclosure, will that be too close? Im not sure where to find the wide hole screen to replace what is currently there?
Look at some of your pet stores- and no you want at least 18" high -- the uvb needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor