• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New uvb bulb, zilla is turning a bit red.!

ZillaBest

Bearded Dragon Egg
So when we first adopted Zilla a few weeks ago, we started to replace ..well almost everything in his enclosure. He needed more hides as well as a better basking rock, and new basking bulb and uvb bulb. We've had the new uvb bulb (arcadia t5 12% with reflector which covers 3/4 of the length of his viv, also is 13 inches from his highest basking level) for just over a day now. Now I'm not sure if its just because his old uvb bulb had ran out of life (I know how often they need changed and I think the person we received him from had fibbed about when it had last been replaced) or not but Zilla has gone from being a pale orange colour to having slightly more red in his colouring.

This might sound silly, but I wanted to check he isn't being burnt or anything.! His temps have all sat steady since we changed the basking bulb and he doesn't seem off, if anything he seems much livlier sitting under his uvb much more now.

Any advice would be appreciated, I want to make sure I'm doing it all right. Thank youu x

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So when we first adopted Zilla a few weeks ago, we started to replace ..well almost everything in his enclosure. He needed more hides as well as a better basking rock, and new basking bulb and uvb bulb. We've had the new uvb bulb (arcadia t5 12% with reflector which covers 3/4 of the length of his viv, also is 13 inches from his highest basking level) for just over a day now. Now I'm not sure if its just because his old uvb bulb had ran out of life (I know how often they need changed and I think the person we received him from had fibbed about when it had last been replaced) or not but Zilla has gone from being a pale orange colour to having slightly more red in his colouring.

This might sound silly, but I wanted to check he isn't being burnt or anything.! His temps have all sat steady since we changed the basking bulb and he doesn't seem off, if anything he seems much livlier sitting under his uvb much more now.

Any advice would be appreciated, I want to make sure I'm doing it all right. Thank youu x
It sounds like his colors are turning more vibrant which they will do w/ good lighting -- can you post a pic of him please

ZillaBest

Bearded Dragon Egg
It sounds like his colors are turning more vibrant which they will do w/ good lighting -- can you post a pic of him please
Yeah I thought that, I will tomorrow its light off just now so you can't really tell. Thank you for replying though x

ZillaBest

Bearded Dragon Egg
20210228_103106.jpg

Here is Zilla now. Its hard to tell but there are certainly darker red bits of him compared to how he was previously. His face is also white because he's starting to shed and getting rather annoyed haha. He's going for another bath shortly hopefully that will help x

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I see darker maroon colors ur talkin bout , i dont think its a burn, a burn would take a couple days to show up, i