• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the dragon world!

Bria Cryer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Were a new dragon family. He is my 8 year olds friend with mom, dad and big sister helping take care of him, We want to make sure were doing the best we can for him. I will break it down and let you know our set up and let me know anything we need to change!

Dragon : About 6in long baby ( we got him from a mom and pop pet shop but he seems very active and healthy)

Tank: 50 gallon breeder tank with wire top

Light/ Heat: Warm side we have a 160 Watt mercury light , with a long uvb bulb in the middle. for night we have a no light infrared bulb to give heat but no light. Top of perch reads 105 with a temp gun
Cool side has a 75Watt mercury bulb

inside tank: Vinyl floor in a sand color, a shallow water bowl with water depth about to bottom of his belly. shallow food dish. tall wood perch on warm side, and 1/2 log den for cool side .

Food : dragon salad with few types of greens ( no lettuce) Shredded squash, apple, carrots, squash, and bell peppers.
tiny crickets ( ordered on line and feed them same fresh salad as the dragon gets along with water crystals they are in a 40 gallon tote with home made mesh top ) dusted in vits and cals. Butterworms, Dubia Roaches, He gets about 15-20 3 times a day.
dry baby dragon pellets in his bowl offered all day

M/W/F he gets a bath and other days he gets misted
Held every day for about 15-20 min
no lights on at night but has the heat bulb on

What else do we need or do different, We want to make sure he stays healthy and happy to make a good friend for my son.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would get rid of the dragon pellets, they aren't the healthiest. If you do continue to use them, wet them a little so they expand before they get into his belly.

They don't need to be misted, in fact misting them opens them up to respiratory problems. Baths are only necessary for shedding, cleaning poop off or if they like to drink out of the water. They don't absorb anything through there skin so unless they are drinking it, the water doesn't hydrate them.

Try to bump up his heat a couple of degrees 107-110 is ideal for little ones. Sounds like he's eating like a king! Variety is the key you are on the right track.

At the bottom of my comment there are some links to general care and lighting and food that are real helpful.