• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to reptiles

Merida

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everybody! We recently got a new Beardie. 9 months old, named Arlo. He needed to be rehomed due to his owner moving. We've only had him about 1.5 weeks and we're adjusting. This is my first reptile ever, my daughter begged for a lizard for her birthday. Anyways, about 3 times now he's had a really gooey nasty poop that smelled awful. One of those times it looked more like puke with chunks of super worm in it. Wondering if it could be stress, something he's eaten or if he needs a vet. He's eating fine, didnt really want any crickets today but ate super worms and his veggies (zucchini, sweet potatoes, and collard greens). Still active and interested in what's happening. Any thoughts or advice?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everybody! We recently got a new Beardie. 9 months old, named Arlo. He needed to be rehomed due to his owner moving. We've only had him about 1.5 weeks and we're adjusting. This is my first reptile ever, my daughter begged for a lizard for her birthday. Anyways, about 3 times now he's had a really gooey nasty poop that smelled awful. One of those times it looked more like puke with chunks of super worm in it. Wondering if it could be stress, something he's eaten or if he needs a vet. He's eating fine, didnt really want any crickets today but ate super worms and his veggies (zucchini, sweet potatoes, and collard greens). Still active and interested in what's happening. Any thoughts or advice?
Undigested bugs is a sign of incorrect basking temps- they need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- place the probe on the spot where he sits to basks- if the smell continues you might want to take a fecal in to a reptile vet for testing of parasites- NO enemas please they often end in disaster- the vet likes 24 hour sample- let's go over your uvb please no coils they are inadequate - what size tank is he in? Your basking bulb should be a solid clear bright white basking bulb - like a Exo Terra intense or flukers or zoo med repti basking bulb or a Arcadia halogen please no off white or colored bulbs of any kind- no daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that causes eye issues-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! I've had hamsters, rats, cats and dogs. So far the lizard has been very tricky
Dragons need special uvb and basking lamps along w/ temps- if any of this husbandry is off they will not thrive

Merida

Bearded Dragon Egg
I moved his UV light down under the mesh top, and another heater to warm up his basking spot yesterday. He pooped today and it was less smelly, had more shape, and less food in it. I think it's working!! I'm so relieved!!!! Thanks for the input!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I moved his UV light down under the mesh top, and another heater to warm up his basking spot yesterday. He pooped today and it was less smelly, had more shape, and less food in it. I think it's working!! I'm so relieved!!!! Thanks for the input!
The UVB is what brand and bulb -- they have certain distance and placement for the different bulbs- and are you getting your surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Merida

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do not have a digital probe but he has been gaping while he's basking so I figured our little stick in thermometers were pretty accurate. I'm not sure what UV bulb he has, it came with him when we got him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do not have a digital probe but he has been gaping while he's basking so I figured our little stick in thermometers were pretty accurate. I'm not sure what UV bulb he has, it came with him when we got him
Please take a pic of the uvb - please get 2 digital probe thermometers- these things I am asking about are crucial to his health- how old is the uvb? Distance and placement is critical