• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to dragons

James greenhalgh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone I’m new to owning a dragon, my baby dragon doesn’t eat very much and is always up close to the lights. My enclosure is 18 by 18 by 46 have a 100 w basking light and a 5.0 uvb is there something wrong with the set up? It’s 100 degrees basking area and 90 on other side and 30 and 35 humidity

Attachments

• 2FB79600-C55F-42A1-BD4B-7E463966D17C.jpeg
    2FB79600-C55F-42A1-BD4B-7E463966D17C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
What type of UVB is it? Tube? Coil? Is it shining down on the basking spot along with the basking light? What are you feeding? How are you measuring temps? And how long have you had the beardie?

James greenhalgh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for replying the uvb is a tube the basking light is separate from the uvb I have 2 thermometer s on each side. And I’ve had him for only 10 days

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
You need the uvb light right beside the basking light, both shining down onto the basking spot. They need both shining on them in order to digest and absorb the nutrients. For temperatures, you want probe thermometers, or even better, a temp gun (about $15 on Amazon). That way, you can get accurate temps of specific spots right where the beardie sits. He is also still settling in. With the lighting arranged correctly, the right temps, and a few more days to get used to you, I bet his eating will pick right up.

Caren Sealover

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also he should be under a 10.0 uvb- 5.0 is not enough for beardies. And babies need it a little warmer- 105 to 110 degrees. The cage setup looks good, with the exception of moving the uv light over the basking area like Janelle said. Good job with not including substrate as it can be dangerous for young beardies. You can put paper towels on the bottom to help with cleanup- beardie babies poop a lot .

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
Wow, that s a lot of wattage for a 18" high with inside lighting. My 17" high ABS enclosure gets to 105 to 108 degrees on basking spot which is only 1-1/2" off floor using a 25 watt bulb. Get an accurate temp gun.

James greenhalgh

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need the uvb light right beside the basking light, both shining down onto the basking spot. They need both shining on them in order to digest and absorb the nutrients. For temperatures, you want probe thermometers, or even better, a temp gun (about $15 on Amazon). That way, you can get accurate temps of specific spots right where the beardie sits. He is also still settling in. With the lighting arranged correctly, the right temps, and a few more days to get used to you, I bet his eating will pick right up.
So I moved the uvb light next to the basking hot a temp gun, the temp is between 105-115. 85 on the cooler side. The tree that he hangs in all day is 95-97 and he still isn’t eating. When I take it out he rubs around acts fine, put him back in it sits on the basking for about ten min.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Poor thing! I'm so sorry! Have you been keeping track of his weight? Is he eating at all? Gaining at all? How is his poop? Is he going daily? Does it look normal? Parasites can make them have a lack of appetite. You may want to get a stool sample looked at by the vet.

James greenhalgh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poor thing! I'm so sorry! Have you been keeping track of his weight? Is he eating at all? Gaining at all? How is his poop? Is he going daily? Does it look normal? Parasites can make them have a lack of appetite. You may want to get a stool sample looked at by the vet.
He is going daily, I hand fed him 5 roaches yesterday first time he ate in 5 days his poop looks normal .no i haven’t been keeping track of his weight. He looks small I take him out and he stays asleep sometimes

Attachments

• 5B21CD92-B329-4032-923D-2DFDE9E41571.jpeg
    5B21CD92-B329-4032-923D-2DFDE9E41571.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I'm glad he ate! Sometimes they need a little longer to settle in. Pooping normal poop daily is good. I'd still give him a few days. Did you get a 10.0 UVB for him? 5.0 does not emit enough UVB for a beardie.

James greenhalgh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes I did get a 10 uvb . The only other I can think of is his tank is 75 gal and he never goes to the cooler side. I’ll give it another few days. Thanks for all your help

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
When my girl was super little, she barely left her basking spot at all. Hope he continues to perk up and eat!