• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to dragons, any ideas?

Crystal6.5

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to caring for dragons, I've done another of research but I still have questions for example 1. My dragon is shedding and doesn't seem to have a big appetite. He's a young dragon not a baby baby, but he is a couple months old. Is this normal? He's shedding on his tail right now. I do know not to pull off the shed. He spends a lot of time under the heating lamp. 2. He won't eat greens I've tried everything any ideas?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm new to caring for dragons, I've done another of research but I still have questions for example 1. My dragon is shedding and doesn't seem to have a big appetite. He's a young dragon not a baby baby, but he is a couple months old. Is this normal? He's shedding on his tail right now. I do know not to pull off the shed. He spends a lot of time under the heating lamp. 2. He won't eat greens I've tried everything any ideas?
Welcome to beardie world--- your dragon is going to go thru relocation stress so let him acclimate to the tank and his surroundings - this may take a few weeks to months - depends on the dragon --- so the first thing is you MUST HAVE proper basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons--- next a UVB that is NOT A COIL- they are inadequate ---- you need a long tube fixture like a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank - a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia are all good fixtures w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb----- these things are the MOST important things in that tank --- it will control the over all health and behavior of the dragon --- lets address the shedding --- DO NOT PICK - you can damage scales and cause an infection - let the shed do its thing - you can spray or mist him in his tank and get a soft baby toothbrush and when the shed becomes dry and crackly spray him and use the toothbrush - brush lightly so it loosens the shed --- NEVER PICK --
the appetite will be off as hes relocated -- as long as hes eating something thats good - crickets dubia roaches BSFL and silk worms are all good staple feeder insects -- that is his main diet for now - but you want him eating salads even a little bit http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - please dust the insects w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - in order for the calcium to be absorbed/ synethized you MUST have the correct UVB -- coils will not do that ---- please get a glass or ceramic bowl one like this or something similar https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
so the insects and BSFL cant get out of --- I would get some of them from here www.symtonbsf.com order medium eventually you can go up to large they are small DO NOT DUST them add them to his salads in front of him so he sees you do this hand feed a few of them and then add to the salads - feed as many as you want they make a nice compliment to the staple feeder - I recommend dubia roaches you can get them from here www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise - use this code when ordering they are having a discount on them now JULY42021 this is till the end of the month --
If you need help w/ the UVB please ask I can post websites for you so you know what to get BUT THIS IS EXTREMLEY important ---

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome to beardie world--- your dragon is going to go thru relocation stress so let him acclimate to the tank and his surroundings - this may take a few weeks to months - depends on the dragon --- so the first thing is you MUST HAVE proper basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons--- next a UVB that is NOT A COIL- they are inadequate ---- you need a long tube fixture like a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank - a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia are all good fixtures w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb----- these things are the MOST important things in that tank --- it will control the over all health and behavior of the dragon --- lets address the shedding --- DO NOT PICK - you can damage scales and cause an infection - let the shed do its thing - you can spray or mist him in his tank and get a soft baby toothbrush and when the shed becomes dry and crackly spray him and use the toothbrush - brush lightly so it loosens the shed --- NEVER PICK --
the appetite will be off as hes relocated -- as long as hes eating something thats good - crickets dubia roaches BSFL and silk worms are all good staple feeder insects -- that is his main diet for now - but you want him eating salads even a little bit http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - please dust the insects w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - in order for the calcium to be absorbed/ synethized you MUST have the correct UVB -- coils will not do that ---- please get a glass or ceramic bowl one like this or something similar https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
so the insects and BSFL cant get out of --- I would get some of them from here www.symtonbsf.com order medium eventually you can go up to large they are small DO NOT DUST them add them to his salads in front of him so he sees you do this hand feed a few of them and then add to the salads - feed as many as you want they make a nice compliment to the staple feeder - I recommend dubia roaches you can get them from here www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise - use this code when ordering they are having a discount on them now JULY42021 this is till the end of the month --
If you need help w/ the UVB please ask I can post websites for you so you know what to get BUT THIS IS EXTREMLEY important ---
I put salad in as soon as the lights come on. He eats after warming up.I give him roaches a little later after he finishes his greens. Just like a kid, he learned, if I eat my veggies then I get the good stuff.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
I put salad in as soon as the lights come on. He eats after warming up.I give him roaches a little later after he finishes his greens. Just like a kid, he learned, if I eat my veggies then I get the good stuff.
And shedding is random I think. Sometimes he turns dull all over then boom legs have shed all at once. Next day the body then the head. Next cycle it’s the head first then legs then body. My guy is full of surprises.

Crystal6.5

Bearded Dragon Egg
The set up i have right now(I know I'm going to have to up grade is a 20 gal from and I'm finding out petsmart is not the best place to get stuff... its made by Thrive. The lady help get me a different kit that doesn't come with the sand! And had the lights i needed.)I have been watching temperatures, and my basking area sits at 93. Tank temp is always around there. He does have a cooler side to the tank that runs about 85. He doesn't like eating from the bowl. He would rather chase things around. He does eat crickets, dubia roaches, but that all I can seem to get him to eat. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WEBSITES I WILL DEFINITELY CHECK THEM OUT!!

Crystal6.5

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll have to give that a try! I've been offering veg little later in the day so.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The set up i have right now(I know I'm going to have to up grade is a 20 gal from and I'm finding out petsmart is not the best place to get stuff... its made by Thrive. The lady help get me a different kit that doesn't come with the sand! And had the lights i needed.)I have been watching temperatures, and my basking area sits at 93. Tank temp is always around there. He does have a cooler side to the tank that runs about 85. He doesn't like eating from the bowl. He would rather chase things around. He does eat crickets, dubia roaches, but that all I can seem to get him to eat. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WEBSITES I WILL DEFINITELY CHECK THEM OUT!!
Thrive is terrible for UVB's basking bulb are ok as long as they are bright white and keeping temps to what they need to be--- decor is fine--- please get the long tube fixture for the UVB -- I would get the Zoo Med 24" fixture use the bulb that comes w/ the fixture it will be a 5.0 bulb its equivalent to a T 8 bulb --- it will need to be placed width wise across the tank w/ NO screen ----- decor directly under it 6-8 inches ---- if you do not have correct UVB placement and distance the dragon will quit eating and will get sick------------------- what lights are you using w/ that kit? Get the BSFL they will help get him to the bowl --- basking temps should be 105-110 ------------ NO stick ons!!!!!!!!!! Digital probe -- place on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 minutes get temp

Crystal6.5

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is what hes in right now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-205720_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-205720_Chrome.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210724-205737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-205737_Chrome.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is what hes in right now
Please get rid of that 13 watt uvb ASAP-- they are terrible bulbs and that is a coil - please get what I posted for a UVB - https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html please order this 24" fixture ASAP-- use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture-- please get a digital probe thermometer https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html
You need this now-- w/ out proper heat and UVB your dragon will get sick - cannot stress this enough--- let me know when you get the UVB I will help you place it on the tank

Crystal6.5

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of that 13 watt uvb ASAP-- they are terrible bulbs and that is a coil - please get what I posted for a UVB - https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html please order this 24" fixture ASAP-- use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture-- please get a digital probe thermometer https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html
You need this now-- w/ out proper heat and UVB your dragon will get sick - cannot stress this enough--- let me know when you get the UVB I will help you place it on the tank
I have one coming

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-224220_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-224220_Chrome.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 6

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
The picture on the back is nice. They don’t like seeing their reflection, they might think it is another beardie. Try to put something on the ends so only the front is reflective.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie I'm still learning but thats just a uvb light what about the other one?
The other bulb is a 75 watt it should be bright white that's your basking bulb--- it needs to keep temps 105-110 which it probably is for that tank but you still need to take your probe and put it on the spot where she sits for basking - take a pic of the tank and post it so I can see