• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Beardies, glad for this forum

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I bought a young beardie today at a reptile show, kind of on impulse (though I've always wanted one).
I should have bought all the supplies and researched it first, but here I am.

It is currently using spare supplies from when my veiled chameleon was young (chameleon's now 3 years old and healthy).

I'll get new stuff this Wednesday, like the uvb bar and a ceramic heat emitter. I'll also go refund the bag of walnut shell substrate after reading about how bad it can be. Better to play it safe.
(I am happy a forum like this exists. I joined the Chameleon Forums when I bought my chameleon too).

I'll start taking pictures of the beardie soon.

I do have a question I hope someone can help me with. Is there a sheet/graphic here or general rule I can see for how far a heat source should be from the reptile in relation to its watt output?

Do I just buy a high power one and fiddle with distance until I get the right temp? I'd rather know a good approximation rule to start with.

Thanks!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome! I’m sorry to say you’ll have to fiddle with it. It depends on your ambient room temp, tank size, etc, etc. A lot of people just get a household halogen bulb (they can get really hot) and put them on a dimmer so they can easily adjust. If you don’t want to do that, I’d start at 100* and go from there. Easier to move a higher power further away than be too cold.

You don’t need a CHE unless your house goes below 65* at night. Beardies need a cooldown period at night.

Glad you found us!

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you
You don’t need a CHE unless your house goes below 65* at night. Beardies need a cooldown period at night.
I use CHE's for basking in daytime as I don't like having different light colors or shapes going on.

Guess I'll just get creative with how I raise the emitter farther from the tank. It did read temps hot enough but I need more testing to know there are gradients in there.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks @ BeardedHippy
I'm just gonna go with a Mercury Vapor bulb since it does both the UV and heat. No need for multiple lights this way.

The tank will already always be bright during the day since I have him and my chameleon by a window (that stays shut).

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am being told, actually, that a mercury vapor bulb is not adequate for a bearded dragon. That its output and range just isn't enough and that they're just too hot without a huge enclosure.

I see some people here do use mercury vapor bulbs though, so I'm confused.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I’ve heard mixed reports about them, too. Personally, I like having two separate bulbs. It gives me the ability to fine-tune distances, temps, etc independently and more precisely.

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve heard mixed reports about them, too. Personally, I like having two separate bulbs. It gives me the ability to fine-tune distances, temps, etc independently and more precisely.
I'll go with two. In addition to substrate discouragement, I guess the healthiest setup simply isn't a natural one. But that's ok, because that doesn't mean it can't look wonderful.

My chameleon also has no substrate and I like its cage just fine. I actually tried doing a bio-active substrate tray but my planted plants all died lol. So I threw the whole thing away and just bought a drain tray instead.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Nature is dirty and rough and has predators. Lol

Bio-active sounds too labor intensive for me. I’m using paper towels at the moment. I think we’ll use tile in her new tank. That’s really not that far off from hard, packed clay.