• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New set up

Fache

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright folks,
I am doing my investigation before I make the purchase for the kids. I want to have everything set up before we bring our new addition home.

I have a bunch of questions, unknowns and just not enough knowledge about the reptiles and their eco system and set up. I have vast experience in salt water aquariums and would like to apply those skill sets if possible. Also, am a big DIY’r and enjoy creating/re-creating things I can make for half the price of big box pet stores.

Below are some questions I am trying to confirm and if I would be able to purchase things at a lower price or just make so please bare with me if my questions seem out there. Trying to teach the kids there are always other alternative, just have to inquire

Lighting:
UVA/UVB - are there any alternatives I can purchase at a Home Depot or Amazon to save on costs or are the bulbs specifically made for reptile use? I.e. light fixture, bulbs etc?
How do I control the heat in the tank, I know to place thermometers to gauge but how do I increase/decrease/disperse heat?

Eco set up:
Flooring - reptile carpet (felt). Our tank is 4 feet by 18”. I wanted to line the bottom with 2 layers of felt, one I can remove to clean/wash. Question here is can I buy regular felt or does it need to be reptile carpet specific? I know I can buy felt by the yard and is much cheaper than the box store

Infrastructure: seen some set up where folks have built multilevel platforms and enclosures out of plywood. I am reading about some mixed reviews around material (stay away from pine, cedar etc). Are there any concerns if I did this out of solid wood (maple or oak) and sealed with a varnish then decorate with a type of moss or covering?

Feeding:
I understand that a healthy diet consist of live food, but some forums I am reading that 0-12 months, a Beardie should be eating 70/30% live to prepared food ratio...about 50-80 insects a day 3 times daily? Is that a rule of thumb? 50/80 insects per day sounds like I will need to harvest insects or be at Pets Mart every other day. What is everyone out there doing?

appreciate any advice, direction, experiences, and knowledge.

thanks in advance!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lighting: No, not at all. You need to get both kinds and from a pet store or Amazon to get the right bulb.

Eco set up: I'd recommend tile from a home improvement store, so it's easy to clean after it messes.

Infrastucture: No pine or cedar. I recommend some big rocks to imitate the desert.

Feeding: A baby beardie should eat about 10 - 15 insects a day with a small salad on the side. To much food will make them bloat and die. only get crickets at first. Mealworms are sort of dangerous, so I wouldn't feed it those until it's an adult. Only 4 - 6 mealworms a day for an adult though.