• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Pet for the children!

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
IMG_20171204_215148.jpg

Hi everyone. This is Sugar Gal, our new bearded dragon. Guessing she is about 2 mnths old. We have 3 boys age 3, 5 and 6 that named her and love helping with her care.
Setup is a 40 gal breeder, 150W basking bulb, UVB and a night heat bulb that i turn on sometimes
She ate 16 crickets in 3 feedings her first day home and has slowed down a little since.
Today she ate 3 crickets and 4 wax worms. An order of phoenix worms should arrive soon.
IMG_20171202_223810.jpg

Not sure what you would call her color.
She's drinking water when i sprinkle it on her snout. Starting to shed on her face. She also has refused kale and carrots so far, but has eaten a few pieces of tomato.
I am considering breeding a feeder, maybe crickets or phoenix worms.
Looking forward to meeting some people that know more than i do to get some ideas Thanks

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
I like the idea of setting the soldier fly box outdoors...it looks like they nd alot of old produce to sustain them. The real issue is will the dragon still be interested in a smaller worm like that by the time they start reproducing? (is the setup cost worth it for her diet)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and to beardies...for sure check that food link as it gives you lots of choices and will tell you how often an item should be fed.. babies don't always eat their greens right off the bat however providing them good greens is important.. Kale is not a stand alone green you want to use it along with say collards, turnip, mustard, dandelion greens..
another really beneficial bug are dubia roaches way better than crickets and way easier to maintain.. 1 roach = 6 crickets.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
also to add to what Hdrydr31 just said, you can buy a pack of of collard, turnip, and mustard greens all mixed together at walmart for like $2-$3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks alot...ya the roaches are tempting to breed. We live in FL so constantly fighting off roaches...hafta talk my wife into that one haha Any thought on her color? Is she just a normal? It was the lightest colored dragon in the group.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks alot...ya the roaches are tempting to breed. We live in FL so constantly fighting off roaches...hafta talk my wife into that one haha Any thought on her color? Is she just a normal? It was the lightest colored dragon in the group.
looks like a normal to me, they all have special colors/markings. mine is more of a lighter grayish color

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
e3f86c7504d06be2902ac6fe4f1568ce.jpg

heres a pic of my beardie! also, i think you breeding feeders would also be a cool way to teach your kids about the life cycle. i can almost guarantee itll be something theyll wanna tell their friends about.

Beautiful dragon you got...how old? And ya the more videos i watch i'm leaning toward dubias. So many pros...no cons

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When you say you use a night heat light, make sure it's a ceramic heat emitter and not a bulb that gives off any light. They see all sorts of color and at night colored bulbs create a shadow over their head that makes them think they are being hunted. Makes for a tired dragon during the day and could make them not want to eat.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for that...ya its a purple bulb so i'll stop using it

Hi. Check out this list: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2XHSAJRKRFZKD here! this is the stuff you should buy. also make sure if youre putting it on the screen to use the large dome otherwise it will touch the screen and potentially damage it. also if you want to use more than one upgrade to the 1000 watt temp controller. or you could do a digital one for $30 i think

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
also to add to what Hdrydr31 just said, you can buy a pack of of collard, turnip, and mustard greens all mixed together at walmart for like $2-$3

Oh yeah? What's the mix called? [emoji177]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon

We actually can’t get Dubia roaches in Florida, they’re considered an invasive insect from my understanding so we’re out of luck on that one.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We actually can’t get Dubia roaches in Florida, they’re considered an invasive insect from my understanding so we’re out of luck on that one.

I'm in Florida too. I get discoid roaches from Joe's bugs. He's a grest guy and good prices.

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
I'm in Florida too. I get discoid roaches from Joe's bugs. He's a grest guy and good prices.

Yea that was what I was looking at to, BUT THEY HAVE WINGS!!! [emoji33] lol