• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new owner with some questions

Travis Rufus Gustavo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I’m new owner to a male trans bearded dragon aged probably about 9 -12 months old. I’m fairly confident about the set up- that the viv is ok and it’s big enough etc as we have as spent a lot of time and advice on getting all the lights, different spots to bask and temperature gradient etc before we got him. We have had him exactly one week and was advised to leave him alone for about 4 weeks to get used to his new home. He seems to be eating fairly well a mix of dusted greens and loaded locusts which he loves and some meal worms. He has taken some veg from our hands. He seems quiet & laid back. My main question is about if we should give him a bath and get him out so can give his place a clean. Obviously we are picking out the poo and uneaten food, but place already looks like it needs a good clean as he is messy plus mainly worrying that his head look look much paler, almost white. Does this mean he is shedding already.? There seems to be quite a bit of confusing advice around on everything and our book differs to the internet and the reptile centre where we got him from so I’m feeling confused and don’t want to make a mistake . what do you think?. Is it too soon to take him out and interact with him as he is quite calm and maybe shedding or should we really wait 4 weeks.? Thanks for your help.

Travis Rufus Gustavo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your reply. I thought 4 weeks was a too long time to leave him before letting him come out. Maybe they said 4 days and I misheard.. That’s great news. He is eating fine so hopefully there are no problems with his lighting or temps or health at the moment.. We are measuring the temps with digital probes & have a thermostat for the heating bulb. and the strip makes and strengths as advised by the reptile centre when we set it up. the big bulb warms at one end and the strip is the uv Generally it’s 35 degrees At the warm end then 30 in the middle /bottom and 26-27 at the cooler end. It falls to about 19 at night with all lights off. We have no coloured bulbs. I’ve looked up some pictures of shedding and I think this may be what is beginning to happen. Maybe a bath will help. It is great to have your advice. Thanks again.

Travis Rufus Gustavo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the welcome. Just to update on things, yes - his head going white was because he was shedding his skin. There is still a bit of skin to come off, but mainly is completed now for his head and it’s nice and bright colours underneath. We have had him out daily for some interaction and he is eating and pooping well. Thanks.