• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner - lots of questions and concerns

Tlynnjohnson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I purchased my beardie, Saphira, from PetSmart a couple of weeks ago. Based on her size I would guess she is 4-5 months old. I have a lot of questions regarding enclosure/lighting/feeding schedule etc. I currently have her in a 20 gal enclosure with a 20” Reptisun Terrarium hood and 18” 10.0 UVB. Basking fixture is a 100 watt CHE but after reading many post on here it seems I should switch that to a non-coil basking bulb. How should her lighting/heat differ from day to night? I am having a very hard time keeping humidity low - I live in NC so naturally we have a lot of humidity. I even bought a tank safe dehumidifier but it didn’t seem to do anything. What should the humidity levels be at consistently to avoid respiratory infections? Regarding feeding, she does ok with collards but hasn’t really taken to any other vegetables, I know she should be eating lots of protein w/ calcium and d3 but I’m having a hard time figuring out the right amount of crickets to feed her. Her poop fluctuates from normal to dark brown and I don’t want to cause impaction by over feeding. I’m very careful to feed her crickets the appropriate size (no larger than between her eyes) but approx how many crickets should she eat per day? I know there are a lot of questions here and I appreciate the time anyone takes to respond! I am eager to ensure I do everything perfectly for my little friend and will buy whatever I need to do so. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7D1932E3-5027-4F67-BC71-DD1016CC93A5.jpeg
    7D1932E3-5027-4F67-BC71-DD1016CC93A5.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 2787B3F7-783B-4F56-BDE6-102A260827AD.jpeg
    2787B3F7-783B-4F56-BDE6-102A260827AD.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 19701B22-C04D-4687-AF5B-A2E77C3BBFA3.jpeg
    19701B22-C04D-4687-AF5B-A2E77C3BBFA3.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I purchased my beardie, Saphira, from PetSmart a couple of weeks ago. Based on her size I would guess she is 4-5 months old. I have a lot of questions regarding enclosure/lighting/feeding schedule etc. I currently have her in a 20 gal enclosure with a 20” Reptisun Terrarium hood and 18” 10.0 UVB. Basking fixture is a 100 watt CHE but after reading many post on here it seems I should switch that to a non-coil basking bulb. How should her lighting/heat differ from day to night? I am having a very hard time keeping humidity low - I live in NC so naturally we have a lot of humidity. I even bought a tank safe dehumidifier but it didn’t seem to do anything. What should the humidity levels be at consistently to avoid respiratory infections? Regarding feeding, she does ok with collards but hasn’t really taken to any other vegetables, I know she should be eating lots of protein w/ calcium and d3 but I’m having a hard time figuring out the right amount of crickets to feed her. Her poop fluctuates from normal to dark brown and I don’t want to cause impaction by over feeding. I’m very careful to feed her crickets the appropriate size (no larger than between her eyes) but approx how many crickets should she eat per day? I know there are a lot of questions here and I appreciate the time anyone takes to respond! I am eager to ensure I do everything perfectly for my little friend and will buy whatever I need to do so. Thanks!
You want a clear bright white basking bulb one that keeps temps 105 - 110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-+ your uvb is good for now make sure it is unobstructed no clear plastic cover over the bulb and distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- 25-30 crickets per feeding 2 - times per day-- humidity optimal 40-50% nothing below 20 or over 70% taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer temps at night 65-75 ambient- 80's cool side during the day

Tlynnjohnson

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want a clear bright white basking bulb one that keeps temps 105 - 110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-+ your uvb is good for now make sure it is unobstructed no clear plastic cover over the bulb and distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- 25-30 crickets per feeding 2 - times per day-- humidity optimal 40-50% nothing below 20 or over 70% taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer temps at night 65-75 ambient- 80's cool side during the day
Thank you very much for the response!

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
I like most the advice. I would like to add age is very hard to judge due to growth rates. Currently have a 4.5 month old male that's 17" and about 300g, he's a bit on the big size, although skinny. Not for a lack of effort on his part, the number of roaches he consumes is staggering.

On the flip side I've met "adult" dragons his size, and even smaller. And they have been multiple years old.

I have noticed through raising him, their relative size determines their diet and behaviour alot more than actual age.