• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New mom- 2 questions

Nikmad39

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi
So we got our baby (2 months old) about a week ago. I got the set up from a friend of a friend and I think I have it mostly figured out. Right now I am trying to fix these 2 issues.

1. What uvb light should I be using. I currently have a CFL coil bulb but I think the tube light is better? Do I go with a T5 10.0 or the T5 10.0 HO? The highest spot he can get to would be about 4.5 inches from the screen. I would”d prefer. Under the screen but wouldn’t he be too close? I have a 40g breeder tank.

2. How do I keep the crickets alive for longer than a few days.

Thanks,
Erin

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I like the HO. My beardie can get about the close, too, but has a range of distances/spots to choose from. For the crickets, what are you doing with them now? Meaning what do you keep them in, feed them, how do you hydrate them, etc.

Nikmad39

Bearded Dragon Egg
So you think the 10.0 T5 is ok? What about the hood. Reflector hood or no?

The crickets are in a cricket keeper but I just took 2 tubes out to give them more room. I feed them the orange cube

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I have the T5 HO fixture (with reflector), with a 10.0 bulb, on a 40 gal tank. It does fine. Try placing the cricket keeper somewhere warm, like on top of your fridge (if nobody in your house will object). Just be prepared to hear more chirping. Mine are in a cricket keeper on the fridge, and I mostly give them the orange cubes and repashy bug burger. They have egg carton cardboard folded over, so they have places to hide. I actually stuck 2 tubes back in about halfway, and rest the open ends on the top of the egg crate stuff. It's been a nice easy way to collect them for feeding.

Nikmad39

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much. I will try the egg crates under the tubes. That’s a great idea! I ordered the 10.0 HO last night with the hood. I hope it gets here quick

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks so much. I will try the egg crates under the tubes. That’s a great idea! I ordered the 10.0 HO last night with the hood. I hope it gets here quick
Here's what their box looks like

Attachments

• 20190327_013422.jpg
    20190327_013422.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes the Reptisun T5 10.0 HO is perfect. Crickets are really finicky they need alot of ventilation as they put off alot of heat which turns to moisture and that is a big killer for them.

JeanBD

Hatchling Dragon
I have a seperate tank for them since i have 7 dozen or so , so a plastic container thats high enough will do good. you can just throw in carrot or fruit slices in the tank and i have a folded paper towel thats wet and the crickets loves it. and put pieces of egg cartons and tubes. they'll go in.