• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member of the Beardie fam

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Today my wife and I got our first bearded dragon together, named Jiraya! So as a complete newbie, we just had some questions to make sure we’re doing everything right.

1. Is it normal for a new Beardie to not have an appetite and be not as active on the first day you bring them home?

2. We have the eco terra 20g long terrarium starter kit, does anyone have any advice on the kit itself or any additions we could add to make it better for our Beardie?

3. Right now the temp at his basking end is around 95 degrees F. Is that good for a juvenile?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer!

Attachments

• 46A194B0-75DB-4BE9-977C-2F6C303806D6.jpeg
    46A194B0-75DB-4BE9-977C-2F6C303806D6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: <T>

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please ask more questions you are off to a good start -- I can recommend the UVB for you and I would start there so he keeps eating stays healthy along w/ good basking temps those 2 things are the MOST important thing in that tank -- I would start looking for a bigger tank I can suggest places as well please ask if you need help

The one thing we did upgrade on is a digital proble thermometer for his basking area. The bulb that came with our kit is the exo terra solar glo 125w.
So what ideal temps do you recommend? Also if he’s not actively eating right away, should we take out the uneaten crickets and just continue to try to feed him on a regular schedule until he starts to eat regularly? He did just poop after a few hours of having him. Thank you!

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes do not leave crickets in the tank they bite and cause infections-- feed a few at a time so you know how many is in the tank --- recommended temp is 105-110 but I would offer a heat gradient for him a good piece of decor would offer that something like this
also the basking decor for your Solar Glo should be about 12 inches make sure your getting a basking temp at the 12 inches --
some people use these
solar_glo_use.jpg

to me the All in Ones are a pain in the *** -- it is easier to keep temps and UVB separate --- but for now you can use the All in One I guess if it was me I would change out the lighting set up when you upgrade your tank - you may haft to go to a higher wattage solar glo if you decide to keep it when going to the larger tank -- you want to get your baby started on salads now --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html kale is good to feed ignore what the site is saying
if you need help getting him to eat his salads please ask I can give you some tips on how to do that

So here is what our set up looks like currently. The basking temp still sits at 95-96 degrees f. I’m going to take out the crickets and clean up his poop before I shut the lights off but any other suggestions for a good morning/night routine?

Attachments

• 78A3B479-3709-4790-844F-B2EC0A795B0F.jpeg
    78A3B479-3709-4790-844F-B2EC0A795B0F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 76

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure you get all the crickets - you need to get those probe thermometer s tomorrow+ you want a ambient temp in the morning of that tank so before lights are turned on see what it is---- if it's 65 or better your good-- they like cool and dark to sleep-- I would take out the food and give him fresh salad in the morning do you have any medium size super worms to put on his salad in the morning? It will entice him to the food bowl-- I can give you websites for insects- and worms tomorrow

do you recommend a second thermometer for the other side of the tank? Idk if you can see but there’s already one by his basking area. Also, the room he is in is naturally warm so is there such thing as too warm for him? Any recommendations for lights, food, etc would be greatly appreciated.

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are some websites for you to order from and I am posting a nutritional website as well - ignore the kale thing its good to feed as a staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
BSFL -- they are a great staple feeder for little ones - they are small so order large and do not dust them w/ calcium D3 they are calcium enriched they are also known as calci worms nutri grubs and phoenix worms-- you can order from here as well as some other sites I am going to give you - you will need a glass or ceramic dish to feed them in so the worms etc cant get out-- you can keep them on your kitchen counter for 2 weeks before they turn to flys and then you can feed the flys to the dragon
www.symtonbsf.com
I recommend you switch him over to dubia roaches - they are a far better staple feeder than crickets -- they are easy to keep - you will need a 10 gallon aquarium or tote they dont stink they dont chirp they last longer and they are more nutritional-- you can feed them dubia food and food you feed the dragons they love squash - and carrots for hydration --you can order from here
www.dubiaroaches.com they also have great worms like butter worms horn worms - super worms -- do not feed meal worms they are too hard on babies stomachs feed those when hes older the horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow really fast -- so if you order them get a small amount - these people are out of Kansas and are really good
Silk worms are another good staple feeder - I would order small ones if you can for now if you order them they dont grow as fast and are really soft -- if you order them and you get alot or bulk make sure you get food for them -- you will need to feed them every day and clean out the containers they come in getting rid of old food and frass poop
www.repiltianarts.com
www.mulberryfarms.com
www.coastilsilkworms.com
If you have any more questions please ask I am checking on the distance for that MVB you have to make sure I am correct

Wow, thank you so much! The guy at the store where we got our Beardie from did say the same thing about Dubia roaches but recommended we start with crickets until we found a good supply of Dubias or start a colony ourselves. I am just getting up myself so I will be checking on my Beardie here soon, checking the ambient temp of his terrarium and then turning the lights on for an hour before feeding.

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you order dubias get small ones - you dont want the insect too big - dont order the real tiny ones I think they are like a nymph - the rule is insects no bigger than the space between his eyes or there abouts -- colonies usually take about 3 months to get going -- make sure your dusting his bugs 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week

I see some people only dust their bugs while some dust both their bugs and veggies. What’s your take on that?

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dust the bugs as they are going to eat the bugs more than the veggies- if you can get them started on the salads now it is good - but they prefer bugs -- main diet up till they are a year is 80% insects w/ 20% salads but if they are eating the salads good then you can dust the salads -- for most it is hard to get them to eat the salads it is good to entice them w/ worms on top like your BSFL and super worms -- the movement gets them to the bowl -- so feed the salads first thing in the morning let them eat from the bowl for like an hr or longer putting the BSFL on top of the salads and let him see you do this only use 1-3 supers or butter worms -- then use your roaches and put them in the bowl -- crickets are hard to use you need to disable them by taking a leg off so they cant jump out

So I just checked the morning temp before turning on the lights and it was sitting at 69 degrees F. Going to let him heat up for an hour before feeding his first meal of the day. And yes, I already experienced how hard it is to just catch the crickets. Will be looking to get another thermometer for his cool side of the terrarium later today as well.

Another thing, what’s your experience with handling a new Beardie? I know the store we got him from were pretty good with handling their reptiles regularly so they already had consistent human interaction. But I know with the relocation stress and adjusting to his new environment that handling him might not be the best thing to do right now? Trying to make his transition as easy as possible so he can grow up big and happy.

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let him get used to your hands being in the tank - approach from the side not over head they have a third eye they call it for predators -- so he will think your a predator coming from above --- handle him a little at a time during the day -- hold him outside his tank for like 5 minutes or till he starts to squirm -- you can put a piece of clothing or soft fleece blanket in his hide for him to get used to your scent -- hand feed as much as you can -- either salad greens or fruit or a worm --- that will get him used to your hand -- and be consistent that way he will know what to expect -- mine got to where he would be waiting every morning when he was ready to eat in a certain place in the tank -- eventually your gonna want to upgrade your tank -- the 40 gallon is minimum for a full size dragon --- and the sand mat you might want to eventually get rid of too -- they are hard to keep clean - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store that is cheap and easy to clean and or slated ceramic tile from there as well but you might want to hold off on going that route till you have something permanent for a enclosure -- its so much easier to keep clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle - but the shelf liner would be a good idea now

Sounds like great advice! You did say the exo terra solar glo light we have now is good for now right? At the height it’s at now above the terrarium, it holds his basking area around 96 degrees f. Can’t really get any closer either.

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes you would need to try and get it closer - I got my answer about the distance and he said around 15 inches from basking spot --- how far is it - you want the basking temp to 105-110 but that needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- so dont do anything til you get an accurate temp from that probe -- when you get it place the probe on the spot he sits and leave for 10 minutes then get it - then adjust accordingly --- he needs the temp to be 105-110 since hes a baby -- a piece of decor that he can climb higher up would be good but you need to keep an eye on that temp

So I put the thermometer probe on his basking log and it was definitely too hot for him so I lifted it higher above for the 15in above his basking area and going to see what the temperature is then. Unfortunately, the solar glo bulb has a safety feature that has a 8-15min cool down before it can be turned back on. But still considering going to buy a new light set up.

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I can help w/ that if need be just ask - NO COIL UVB'S! I can recommend a good UVB the best on market at this time

Yes please that would be greatly appreciated. Most likely we’ll keep the solar glo as a back up but whatever set up you recommend we’ll definitely look into today. So based on the pic I posted earlier in this thread of our set up, what’s your recommendations?

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- most pet stores do not carry that size fixture-- you may haft to order on line and you can order from here these people are fast and good -- they ship Fed ex www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures and then lights-
I do not like the All in Ones as you can't get temps and UVB equaled out - w/ you raising to get temp in specs you have now scarifced his UVB Ray's

So would that be the only light I would need? Would that need to be installed inside or above the terrarium?

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need a good bright white basking bulb -- I would start w/ a 100 watt and go from there it can sit on top of the screen --- a good piece of decor offering a heat gradient would be ideal --- the T 5 can go on top of the tank or inside the tank -- you tell me where you want to put it and I can tell you the distance it needs to be at -- I will give you ideas of how to hang if you want it inside the tank --- your tank is a 20 gallon or 40 gallon?

My tank is a 20 long. His basking spot is on the right as seen in the picture (I’ll post here again for reference) I feel like the MVB that came with the kit may be too strong because his eyes are always closed when basking even with the adjustment I made earlier and that’s a 125w bulb. The lighting at the store we got him from wasn’t as strong as this one.

Attachments

• 22024346-7FFF-4E32-A2CD-539CB2435055.jpeg
    22024346-7FFF-4E32-A2CD-539CB2435055.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 47

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok w / that said are you changing the UVB and basking light out? the T 5 will need to sit on top of your tank ---- it will do best w/ the screen because the T 5 is a strong bulb I was under the impression it was a 40 gallon tank --- I am sorry I talk to so many people I cant keep their tanks straight etc .......... so w/ the T 5 you want the basking decor approx 8-10 inches from the UVB and you will probably haft to sit it width wise across the screen --- and your basking light is going to be trial and error --- start w/ a 75 watt bright white bulb --- make sure you have your temp probes to get temps

So we changed out his lighting for a 50w Zoo Med Repti Halogen light for basking(basking temp set around 105 degrees F) and a repti sun Fixture for a T8 fluorescent tube bulb. Cool side is around 80 degrees F.

He still doesn’t have much of a appetite but hoping this new light set up helps with that. Also, is there such a thing as light irritating a beardie’s eye? I noticed he favors his right eye so I’m wondering if the light that came with our terrarium kit was too strong. Any suggestions with that too?

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes coils are notorious for that---- the T 8 will be perfect take cover off-- what is the bulb you got? Is it a Reptisun 10.0 T 8-- it needs to be on top of tank No screen basking decor 8-10 inches from bulb--- that 50 watt you need to get basking temp w/ digital probe it may not be hot enough but start there

Yes it’s a Reptisun 10.0 T8. What do you mean by no screen? And I did do a temp check with the digital probe on his basking spot and temps were at 105 consistently. I’ll show a pic of new set up tomorrow after the lights are on.

Will his eye get better with the change of lights? I don’t believe it’s a parasite or anything like that since his eyes were clear when we got him so my guess is that it was the bulb we had him in for the first day and a half.

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
No screen means the T 8 needs to have no screen between him and the UVB - the screen will block out 30% of those rays-- the T 8 is not a strong enough bulb and it will need to be changed out in 6 months -- so mark the bulb or the box or your calendar and I would change it out about a month before -- and yes certain bulbs can cause eye issues but you haft to recognize if its actual eye irritation or if its just them closing their eye -- they will do that when basking -- or even both its them relaxing -- if the eye starts to look funky or have matter coming out of it then its irritated etc.......... keep an eye on it no pun there and if there is an issue take a pic post it and we can go from there - we have some remedys for things like that that work wonders w/ out having to go to the vet

So here is a pic of the eye in question and a picture of his current set up with the new lights. With the T8, should that be mounted inside the tank then? It’s a 20g long.

Attachments

• E327ED56-C8D0-4F80-A315-E540BD804A8E.jpeg
    E327ED56-C8D0-4F80-A315-E540BD804A8E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 37B89DE8-06B4-498E-A386-B498B8B85373.jpeg
    37B89DE8-06B4-498E-A386-B498B8B85373.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Take the screen off and set the UVB width wise and get a piece of decor 8-10 inches directly under it -- your little dude looks rough I dont know if its because of shed or what - is he hydrated? He needs water so get a eye dropper or syringe and drop water on his nose see if he will drink -- you can give him a bath but I would not recommend at this time - hes probably still going thru relocation stress - the best way is to have him eating his salads that have been rinsed or washed before serving -- is he eating anything at all now? And make sure your gut loading your insects --- they need to be hydrated as well as he will get hydration thru them

I just checked on him and he had his eye open like normal but closed it once I came closer to him. I’ll try to move the light and give him some water now

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can move the UVB towards the basking light and move that wood stick under the both of them so hes got 8-10 inches for the UVB--- that screen is blocking 30% of those rays
Is he eating?

Here’s him now after giving him some water. He won’t eat any veggies and hasn’t eaten any crickets yet.

Attachments

• 1AFD6181-CA02-4814-B141-9A8584CF93FB.jpeg
    1AFD6181-CA02-4814-B141-9A8584CF93FB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is he eating?
Update: He just started eating his crickets. Not sure if hunger finally came over him or the change of light and giving him some water got him going but while I was cleaning out the cricket cage, he started to get excited and once I put some in there(dusted) he went straight for them

MasterJiraya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now get him some worms for his salad we call it steak and salad and hopefully we are on a upward climb now ---- feed as many crickets he will eat in a 10 minute time frame after you have enticed him to his salad bowl --- make sure no crickets are left in the tank as they bite

Very happy that he finally ate. I’m keeping track of how many crickets he’s had so far. Also, is having my T8 fixture positioned sideways along the tank going to be a permanent thing or is there a way to mount it on the inside? It’s only a 20g long

mflavin79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Today my wife and I got our first bearded dragon together, named Jiraya! So as a complete newbie, we just had some questions to make sure we’re doing everything right.

1. Is it normal for a new Beardie to not have an appetite and be not as active on the first day you bring them home?

2. We have the eco terra 20g long terrarium starter kit, does anyone have any advice on the kit itself or any additions we could add to make it better for our Beardie?

3. Right now the temp at his basking end is around 95 degrees F. Is that good for.

Basking temperature
should be hotter I’d say 95 to 110° for his age other side of tank should be around 80 to 85°. Nighttime temps no colder than 65° if your house gets colder than that at night you need to do a ceramic heat emmitter it gives out ZERO light. Also very normal for them to be stressed first few days to a week in their new home try not to handle too much let him get used to his new home he will eat when he’s hungry. What do you have for his UVB light you need a long tube bulb Best is T5 repti sun 10.0 If you have a curly looking light for his fake sunlight get rid of it ASAP and get the tube light Make sure tube light a.k.a. UVB is on the hot side of tank And also make sure he has a place that he can hide out for shelter if he gets too hot or scared