• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member after top tips for friends feeding my beardie when I am away!

Laura Steele

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will be leaving my Beardie in the good hands of friends for the first time whilst I am away for 10 days on holiday. He is a very easy going little chap who loves locusts and watercress/rocket!! I will be leaving loads of locusts, but just in case he eats them all, rather than expecting my friend to restock their tank (don't want to be too demanding as I am being done a favour) I wondered what top tips you all have for back up food, so he doesn't end up on just leaves for 4 days!! Thank you!!!!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, how old is your beardie? adult ones dont need bugs every day, so a few days on just veggies wont do any harm at all. You might want to try getting him to eat a better staple veg, such as collard/spring greens or squash, as watercress and rocket arent the best food to give on a daily basis. Have a nice holiday!

Laura Steele

Bearded Dragon Egg
He will be 9 months - on a bucket of locusts every other day and greens every day. I had read spring greens weren't great regularly, but if you can recommend them thats fab!! Its grated butternut squash? Thanks for advice - have you ever tried the 'dry food' as a back up?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Spring greens are the UK name for Collard Greens, they are a great staple for beardies. Most people on here feed it daily, mixed with other stuff of course. Butternut squash is also a really good one and yes, grating it seems to be the best way to prepare it. My dragons wont eat squash, but I keep trying it with them cos they are so fickle with food, they might decide they like it one day (fingers crossed).
We have a great nutritional list that we use, it tells you how often its safe to feed different stuff, take a look:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Never tried the dried stuff, its not as good as fresh but makes sense to have something as a standby for emergencies

Latest posts