• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here: lighting & tank help

Tracy32176

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I just upgraded from a 40g to 75. Our beardie (Leroy) seemed to be doing great. Now he's been glass surfing, head bobbing and running around. I'm not sure if it's his reflection (which I'm working on ordering a background) or the tank, or what? I do feel I don't have my heat correctly. I do have the night lamp on (during the day)to add extra heat bc he's by a window. The basking bulb is a 75w Intense Spot bulb. Thoughts? Suggestions. He's 6 months old.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. I just upgraded from a 40g to 75. Our beardie (Leroy) seemed to be doing great. Now he's been glass surfing, head bobbing and running around. I'm not sure if it's his reflection (which I'm working on ordering a background) or the tank, or what? I do feel I don't have my heat correctly. I do have the night lamp on (during the day)to add extra heat bc he's by a window. The basking bulb is a 75w Intense Spot bulb. Thoughts? Suggestions. He's 6 months old.
Get rid of the daylight bulb if its COLORED ---- the basking bulb needs to be a higher wattage I would try a 100 watt bright white bulb -- MAKE SURE you have a digital probe thermometer to get the temp -- the head bobbing is part of the mating - it means dominance --- if he can see his reflection that would be part of the reason for his head bobbing --
you want temps in the tank 95-110 for basking 90's middle of the tank and 80's during the day cool side - temps in the tank at nite should be 65-75 NO lights on they like cool and dark -- also what are you using for a UVB --- NO coils please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Tracy32176

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your replies. For UVB we currently are using the bulb that came with the set we bought with the 40g tank ZooMed. I honestly don't remember. I'm due to replace the UVB now especially since I have a larger tank..right? What should I purchase. Also, do u have to be a member to post picts? I was wanting to show yall my setup.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thanks for your replies. For UVB we currently are using the bulb that came with the set we bought with the 40g tank ZooMed. I honestly don't remember. I'm due to replace the UVB now especially since I have a larger tank..right? What should I purchase. Also, do u have to be a member to post picts? I was wanting to show yall my setup.
The same UVB light at the same distance, but it needs to go across 75% of the tank to give the full spectrum of uvb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You should be able to post pics since you have posted here --- please get rid of the coil UVB --- I am assuming its in a dome? You need this for a UVB https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang onto it you can use it as a back up
you need this bulb for your 40 gallon tank https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb -- please get this ordered right away if your using a coil now -- these sell out very quickly these people are fast and good
let me know when you get the UVB and I will help you place it they require certain placement and distance