• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New heat bulb and cage environment stuff ideas needed

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello, I just got a new tank for my bearded dragon. It’s 4x2x2 120 gallon by dubia and my original tank was 3x2x1 40 gallon by exoterra. My original lightbulb was the zoo-med 100 watt bulb . It got from like 88f to 97f for the 3x2x1 and for this new cage it gets around 80f average. ( jsut to mention I also have a uvb/uva light that goes with the heat lamp and that’s it, is that enough ?(Including the heat bulb I’m going to order after this post ) using the info I could provide what heat bulbs would you guys recommend?

I also need new decorations for his domain. He has a hammock, a water bowl, a food bowl, bigger water bowl. A small not-tall-enough-to-bask rock, and a not very tall stick. ( also his floor is tile, a lot of people recommended that but that was years ago, is tile still good? I heard sand isn’t good because it messes with their stomachs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hello, I just got a new tank for my bearded dragon. It’s 4x2x2 120 gallon by dubia and my original tank was 3x2x1 40 gallon by exoterra. My original lightbulb was the zoo-med 100 watt bulb . It got from like 88f to 97f for the 3x2x1 and for this new cage it gets around 80f average. ( jsut to mention I also have a uvb/uva light that goes with the heat lamp and that’s it, is that enough ?(Including the heat bulb I’m going to order after this post ) using the info I could provide what heat bulbs would you guys recommend?

I also need new decorations for his domain. He has a hammock, a water bowl, a food bowl, bigger water bowl. A small not-tall-enough-to-bask rock, and a not very tall stick. ( also his floor is tile, a lot of people recommended that but that was years ago, is tile still good? I heard sand isn’t good because it messes with their stomachs.
Tile is fine - there is a matt by zen habitats that is good - inside have all tile but it's hard on joints so I went to the mat w/ 2 pieces of tile on top to keep the nails down - you need two digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps-- zoo med makes them - your basking bulb needs to be a solid clear bright white basking bulb no colored or off white or yellowish bulb and no daytime bulbs they have a neoyodium coating causes eye issues- examples to use are flukers basking- exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen-- you want surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 months old and older- your uvb should be a long tube fixture 24" for a 120 gallon I can post good uvb's- if you need me to- all uvb's are not the same-

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tile is fine - there is a matt by zen habitats that is good - inside have all tile but it's hard on joints so I went to the mat w/ 2 pieces of tile on top to keep the nails down - you need two digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps-- zoo med makes them - your basking bulb needs to be a solid clear bright white basking bulb no colored or off white or yellowish bulb and no daytime bulbs they have a neoyodium coating causes eye issues- examples to use are flukers basking- exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen-- you want surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 months old and older- your uvb should be a long tube fixture 24" for a 120 gallon I can post good uvb's- if you need me to- all uvb's are not the same-
I don’t know what Probe thermometers are but I have two zoo med thermometers midway on the wall on either side. My uva/b is a small coiled bulb in a Flukers bulb surrounding thing. Please do recommend me that uvb/a but I’m most worried about the wattage I need for the heat bulb. I’m not sure about the costing on my last bulb but it was a mercury bulb is what I do know. Does flukers make the bulb or the thing to surround the bulb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don’t know what Probe thermometers are but I have two zoo med thermometers midway on the wall on either side. My uva/b is a small coiled bulb in a Flukers bulb surrounding thing. Please do recommend me that uvb/a but I’m most worried about the wattage I need for the heat bulb. I’m not sure about the costing on my last bulb but it was a mercury bulb is what I do know. Does flukers make the bulb or the thing to surround the bulb?
I will post links for you to see
https://www.petmountain.com/product/flukers-basking-bulb-incandescent-reptile-light start w/ this one but also get this one it's trial and error w/ them https://www.petmountain.com/product/flukers-basking-bulb-incandescent-reptile-light digital probe thermometers https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/heating/heat-lamp-cage/
Did you get a uvb w/ the tank?

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
No I didn’t get a uva/b. I have 2 circular not digital thermometers. And 2 flukers basking lamp clamp one for heat bulb and one for my uva bulb ( the metal thing that goes around the bulb is what I mean by lamp clamp idk what it’s called) so should I get the flukers bulb 150watts? One article said that’s how watts I should get. And I guess I’m going to have to get a new uva/uvb aswell .

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No I didn’t get a uva/b. I have 2 circular not digital thermometers. And 2 flukers basking lamp clamp one for heat bulb and one for my uva bulb ( the metal thing that goes around the bulb is what I mean by lamp clamp idk what it’s called) so should I get the flukers bulb 150watts? One article said that’s how watts I should get. And I guess I’m going to have to get a new uva/uvb aswell .
Yes on the uvb no coils I will post links for good ones- if your basking bulb is 6" or higher which it should be your not going to need the heat cage- get the 150 watt bulb - but you must have the digital probe thermometers I linked you to - here are 3 uvb's pick one-
24" this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need the reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb I will post link https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood this is the bulb 22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs
This one can be found at PetSmart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this one you need the 2ft or 24" fixture and you will need to change the bulb out to the one I posted above https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
The fixture needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
So get the first link with the second link or get the third link and the fourth link and switch out the bulb that comes in the third link with the one that is the fourth link?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So get the first link with the second link or get the third link and the fourth link and switch out the bulb that comes in the third link with the one that is the fourth link?
The zoo med fixture you need that second link- that's the bulb-- the 3rd uvb sunblaster needs the 2nd link I posted that should be the reptisun bulb-- that is the only bulb I posted - the Arcadia pro T 5 comes w/ a bulb -

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
The zoo med fixture you need that second link- that's the bulb-- the 3rd uvb sunblaster needs the 2nd link I posted that should be the reptisun bulb-- that is the only bulb I posted - the Arcadia pro T 5 comes w/ a bulb -
Alright I got a 150 watt flukes bulb. And I’m going to get the first and second link when I can along with two digital thermometers . Also Are my flukers lamp clamps ok? And in your original message you said you “ i have a Mat with two pieces of tile to keep the nails down” and I didn’t understand what that meant.

Also thank you for all your help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I
Alright I got a 150 watt flukes bulb. And I’m going to get the first and second link when I can along with two digital thermometers . Also Are my flukers lamp clamps ok? And in your original message you said you “ i have a Mat with two pieces of tile to keep the nails down” and I didn’t understand what that meant.

Also thank you for all your help
I use a zens habitat mat for substrate w/ 2 long pieces of tile on top for keeping the nails down -

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_161142207.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220930_161142207.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I

I use a zens habitat mat for substrate w/ 2 long pieces of tile on top for keeping the nails down -
Must of posted twice the clamps are for clamping to the side of the tank? Do you have a screen?

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
If the screen is the top of the bearded dragon cage then I have a metal one with little holes in it. Also when I say lamp clamps I mean the metal thing that surrounds the bulb, I can’t find what it’s called

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the screen is the top of the bearded dragon cage then I have a metal one with little holes in it. Also when I say lamp clamps I mean the metal thing that surrounds the bulb, I can’t find what it’s called
Do you have a ceramic dome w/ a socket? If so use that place on top of the screen - uvb will need to go inside the tank-- make sure the dome is wattage compatible- the dome will tell you what it can handle

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you have a ceramic dome w/ a socket? If so use that place on top of the screen - uvb will need to go inside the tank--
The dome isn’t ceramic but the thing you screw the bulb into is. Also how would you put that inside the cage?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dome isn’t ceramic but the thing you screw the bulb into is. Also how would you put that inside the cage?
Sorry I meant dome w/ a ceramic socket- check the wattage on the dome - it's best on top of screen - what are your surface basking temps w/ the dome on top of screen? People with solid tops have to hang inside and screw the hardware into the top but w/ screens they can sit on top

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry I meant dome w/ a ceramic socket- check the wattage on the dome - it's best on top of screen - what are your surface basking temps w/ the dome on top of screen? People with solid tops have to hang inside and screw the hardware into the top but w/ screens they can sit on top
80 at most now on the basking surface. used to get up to 105 so I’d have to hang the lamp up with a metal thing. The socket is ceramic. And I have a metal screen so I can just rest the uva/b on it and it’ll all the light will go through.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
80 at most now on the basking surface. used to get up to 105 so I’d have to hang the lamp up with a metal thing. The socket is ceramic. And I have a metal screen so I can just rest the uva/b on it and it’ll all the light will go through.
Place the basking light directly above the basking decor take the digital probe thermometer and place it on the spot where he would sit - why has the temp dropped from 105 to 80?

Voiromi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Place the basking light directly above the basking decor take the digital probe thermometer and place it on the spot where he would sit - why has the temp dropped from 105 to 80?
The distance between the bulb and the basking rock grew by 1 foot when I got a new cage because the new cage is 1 foot taller. But I got the 150 watt bulb instead of the 100 watt one I used so that should be fixed from what I read.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The distance between the bulb and the basking rock grew by 1 foot when I got a new cage because the new cage is 1 foot taller. But I got the 150 watt bulb instead of the 100 watt one I used so that should be fixed from what I read.
The only way to tell is to get a digital probe thermometer on the surface basking area and get the temp --