• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New food...

Jreyesortiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
So when my wife bought out beardie about 2 months ago she bought a tank kit from PetSmart all the dried food they have for beardies plus mealworms and crickets. I decided to do some reseach and see what else they actually eat. Now finding out that mealworms aren't that great and he should be eating some greens.

He now has small Dubia roaches, superworms, hornworms, and greens. What's an appropriate amount he should be eating in a day?

I may have also bought too many hornworms (25) cause they are running out of food. How many can I feed him?

Thanks!
ec96c9a6e16354cc568c2e93542a8478.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hi, when they are babies you should basically feed them as much as they will eat, as often as 3 times a day. Just be careful not to feed insects that are larger than the space between their eyes, if their food is too large it can cause impaction and paralysis (possibly causing eventual death). Also make sure you dust their bugs, 5x per week with pure calcium, once with calcium +D3 and once a week with a multivitamin. Its unlikely it will eat the greens (some do, some dont) but you should still offer them regardless. The older they get the fewer bugs they will eat and the more veggies.
Thats a good variety of feeders you have there anyway, should keep it interested.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You may have answered my question on your other post. The kits are horrible and you have to replace most everything in it. Here's a link to basic setup and care, in case you haven't seen it yet https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/

Babies should eat 2X a day 3X is ideal, and they should eat whatever they want in about 10 min. Hornworms are good for hydration but eating too many can cause loose stools. Hornworms also grow real fast when they are kept near the light of the tank so try to keep them at room temp away from light so they don't get too big for him. There are a few things you can feed them, Repashy makes a hornworm food that you can make. They also have something called grub pie, or veggie pie, both are things I've fed my horns. You can also just feed them the greens that you would feed your beardie. Most of the time they will eat them, the only difference is that the worms will turn green instead of blue and when your beardie eats them, the juices are going to be green. They also poop black when they eat fresh greens. I am currently feeding my horn worms greens because I ran out of everything else.

So the big question is how close are you to Tinely Park? The reptile expo is next weekend and it is AWESOME! I started going a few years ago. You can buy feeders and reptiles and all sorts of stuff there. It's nice because a lot of the feeder places will offer free samples. I make everyone in our group pick up the samples! The other great thing is NO TAX! Which you know in IL is a *****!