• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Enclosure Setup Help

ScienceShell

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I thought I had done my research, but now I am not so sure. I purchased a used 40g breeder tank. It came with an under tank heater (which I know not to use). I was sold what I think is a mercury vapor bulb (it was very expensive) and told that I should just use that one in the tank. Clearly, I think I need to rework this setup. Please excuse the crumpled paper towels in the bottom. We were in the process of pulling all of it out and cleaning the enclosure.

dragonenclosure.jpg

Any lighting (or other help) is appreciated!

Thank you!
Shelley

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Under my comment are links to general care and lighting info. Some people have used MVB bulbs with success. Majority of us use a tube style UVB covering at least 2/3'rds of the tank and a basking bulb. The tube style bulbs are more popular because it spreads your UVB throughout the tank where the MVB is an intense beam of light in one area of the tank.

As far as cleaning a used tank, if you have a steam cleaner that is your best option. Steam kills everything. Ammonia is a close second but you need to dilute it and make sure that it is completely out of the tank before you put your bearded dragon in. If you go to beautifuldragons.com and click on disinfecting, it lists all the ways to clean.