• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Enclosure Relocating?

nuclearkielbasa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey there! Hoping I can get some tips for this issue!

We have a rescue Beardie (we are unsure of her age, vet thinks anywhere from 5-8) that we've had for 3 months, and her whole life was spent in a 36" glass enclosure - we've recently been lucky enough to find a used 45" Vivexotic tank.

So, my question is, how would we go about introducing her to this new tank? It's radically different than what she's been in, since it's 3 sides of wood with a glass front. We will be putting everything that's in her current tank into the same location in the new tank, to make the move a bit easier for her.

Do we just move it to the exact location of her current tank, and just plop her in?
Do we put it somewhere else in the house and put her in it for a few hours a day before moving it to where the current one is?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome to the forum and congrats on your rescue.. They typically don't like change so maybe let her in there to explore and taste so she can make mental notes of her new enclosure. If you put her things in there and make the change know that she may or may not just go thru a bit of a relocation period. So just be aware she may or may not go off food for a few days.. Hard to say what she will do unless you just do it and keep the outside stresses low..does that make sense?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I like Hdrydr31's idea. Let her explore her new enclosure for a few days before you actually move her in there. If you can put it on a floor where you can put her in with the door open so she can leave it if she wants, that might help. Maybe put something of hers in the enclosure while she's exploring so she knows that it's hers.

nuclearkielbasa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So she's in the new enclosure, but she hasn't stopped glass surfing! She goes black, and she will huff and puff.
Hopefully she will calm down soon?

MyFirstDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for posting this. My dragon is 3 months old now and has been in a 20 gal. tank since we got her as a baby. She is growing crazy fast and I'm thinking she'll need to move into her permanent home in a 75 gal. tank soon. I was wondering if they felt stress from moving. So maybe I'll block off part of the tank and gradually expand out so it's not such a sudden drastic change in space. I plan to use the same hammocks, climbing vines, etc.. hopefully that will make her feel more comfortable.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks for posting this. My dragon is 3 months old now and has been in a 20 gal. tank since we got her as a baby. She is growing crazy fast and I'm thinking she'll need to move into her permanent home in a 75 gal. tank soon. I was wondering if they felt stress from moving. So maybe I'll block off part of the tank and gradually expand out so it's not such a sudden drastic change in space. I plan to use the same hammocks, climbing vines, etc.. hopefully that will make her feel more comfortable.

Initially there might be stress but if you offer plenty of hiding places they should be fine.