• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Enclosure Lighting help

Sdrudy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I currently have a 36/18/18 terrarium and am looking to get a bigger 48/18/24 soon and have 2 questions. For a beardie is a 24 high better than 18? Not sure if height makes a difference to them.

also I currently have a 22 inch uvb light. Would this be enough or do I need to get bigger too? It is inside the cover.

Carolina Custom Cages Reptile 22" T5HO UVB + Double GU10 Basking Light Fixture https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMS85B...abc_H5HSH87AZFPH124DXJ64?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I currently have a 36/18/18 terrarium and am looking to get a bigger 48/18/24 soon and have 2 questions. For a beardie is a 24 high better than 18? Not sure if height makes a difference to them.

also I currently have a 22 inch uvb light. Would this be enough or do I need to get bigger too? It is inside the cover.

Carolina Custom Cages Reptile 22" T5HO UVB + Double GU10 Basking Light Fixture https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMS85B...abc_H5HSH87AZFPH124DXJ64?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Your 22" is good-- dragons dont need height per day but the floor space- w/ the 24" it needs to go inside the tank - T 5's need 12-15 inches distance directly above the basking decor- if you went w/ a 18" tank depending on the screen it could sit on top- but your screen needs to be a wide holed- no fine screen like a screen door -- the 22" is a T 5 correct?

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
I'm currently trying to setup my enclosure (Carolina Custom 48"L x 18"W x 24"H). I'm using the same lighting fixture you posted above, but 34" length. I'm using the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5HO.

I'm having trouble getting any temperatures over 86 degrees, with my 2x GU10 75W bulbs mounted about 10" above the basking area.

I'm assuming I need to either lower the lighting fixture (wondering if I should have purchase the 18" high enclosure), or purchase a taller basking area.

Attachments

• IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4564.jpg
    IMG_4564.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
The representative at Carolina Customs advised that my LED bulbs are not going to be as hot as Halogens. Perhaps that will be the difference I need?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The representative at Carolina Customs advised that my LED bulbs are not going to be as hot as Halogens. Perhaps that will be the difference I need?
Please get a bright white basking bulb like Exo Terra- no LEDs they do not put out heat- temps should be 105-110 for a baby an taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Sdrudy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm currently trying to setup my enclosure (Carolina Custom 48"L x 18"W x 24"H). I'm using the same lighting fixture you posted above, but 34" length. I'm using the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5HO.

I'm having trouble getting any temperatures over 86 degrees, with my 2x GU10 75W bulbs mounted about 10" above the basking area.

I'm assuming I need to either lower the lighting fixture (wondering if I should have purchase the 18" high enclosure), or purchase a taller basking area.
I have 2 20w bulbs and that is more than enough in my 36/18/18. Must be the halogen though. LED won’t produce heat.

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
I hope the GU10s will work. I ordered 75W Halogens. Maybe they’ll be too hot now. It’s a double fixture, so I’ll order some 50Ws in case a 50+75 is better than 2x75.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope the GU10s will work. I ordered 75W Halogens. Maybe they’ll be too hot now. It’s a double fixture, so I’ll order some 50Ws in case a 50+75 is better than 2x75.
Just make sure your taking the temps w / the digital probe thermometer - place it on the spot where he basks - wait a hour or so then get the temp --

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have the same lighting setup in my tank it is only 18" high but the same tank. bought 50W, 35W and 25W GU10 bulbs. I use a combination of them depending on the average temperature of my house sometimes I use a 50W and a 25W in the winter and in the summer i may just use a 35W. i also have a WIFI Temp unit that monitors the relative temperature of the Tank next to the basking spot and if it gets to hot it turns the Basking lights off to cool it down and then back on after it cools down.

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
I have the same lighting setup in my tank it is only 18" high but the same tank. bought 50W, 35W and 25W GU10 bulbs. I use a combination of them depending on the average temperature of my house sometimes I use a 50W and a 25W in the winter and in the summer i may just use a 35W. i also have a WIFI Temp unit that monitors the relative temperature of the Tank next to the basking spot and if it gets to hot it turns the Basking lights off to cool it down and then back on after it cools down.
This is good to know. Thank you for sharing!