• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New enclosure. Light check

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,
I finally got a new terrarium and I’m setting up the lights. Did I do it right? Is it maybe too dark in there? Should I add more?

Attachments

• ADEFB783-B49A-4F5E-8C80-9145D46BBAE6.jpeg
    ADEFB783-B49A-4F5E-8C80-9145D46BBAE6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • CBA76DFD-5301-4803-86E3-F6E8FFECD75A.jpeg
    CBA76DFD-5301-4803-86E3-F6E8FFECD75A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
I finally got a new terrarium and I’m setting up the lights. Did I do it right? Is it maybe too dark in there? Should I add more?
The tank looks very nice --- your UVB does it have a reflector in it? And what brand and bulb are you using? Distance is key here--- your basking light looks really close you want it at least 6 inches away from him - you dont want to burn him and I dont see a digital probe thermometer -- if you dont have one please get one - you will need to place the probe on the spot where he basks leave for 10 minutes or so then get the temp - temps need to be 95-100 for adult / juvie dragon --- your stick on is fine for ambient temps only --- I would also invest in a digital probe hygrometer -- Exo Terra sales them look on google -- when you get it place the probe on the back center wall of your tank it will read the whole tank --

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Hello. This is What I’m using. It does in fact seem way too hot in the whole enclosure. I have another light, sun glo by exoterra 220-240V 50 Hz 75w. Should I use it instead of the basking bulb?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • CE2FFD2A-B5F6-4F22-BBC0-24346F885CB0.jpeg
    CE2FFD2A-B5F6-4F22-BBC0-24346F885CB0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Hello. This is What I’m using. It does in fact seem way too hot in the whole enclosure. I have another light, sun glo by exoterra 220-240V 50 Hz 75w. Should I use it instead of the basking bulb?
Cuz I can’t possibly lift the basking lamp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No your basking bulb is good but please get a temp w/ a digital probe the 100 may be too hot drop down to a 75 if it is but you want a actual basking temp --- Please tell me if that UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 --- there is a difference between the two bulb please look on the bulb itself it will say T 5 or T 8 I am going to have you get a better brand -- when you tell me the bulb T 5 or a T 8 I can better help --- how long is your fixture ?

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
No your basking bulb is good but please get a temp w/ a digital probe the 100 may be too hot drop down to a 75 if it is but you want a actual basking temp --- Please tell me if that UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 --- there is a difference between the two bulb please look on the bulb itself it will say T 5 or T 8 I am going to have you get a better brand -- when you tell me the bulb T 5 or a T 8 I can better help --- how long is your fixture ?
Sorry I don’t understand what a fixture is. And what brand should I use? It’s impossible to find something other than exoterra here where I live. And the uvb is a T8. I know I need a T5 but I have not been able to find one.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I don’t understand what a fixture is. And what brand should I use? It’s impossible to find something other than exoterra here where I live. And the uvb is a T8. I know I need a T5 but I have not been able to find one.
UVB hood / fixture -- ok so you need a T 5 bulb how long is the UVB hood? I am going to search for Zoo Med hoods / and Reptisun bulbs --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
So the hood is a 24" ? What brand is it? How tall is the tank ?
Yes the Hood is about 70 cm. It doesn’t have a brand. But why does it matter what kind of hood I’m using? It does reflect the light so it’s doing it’s job, right?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So the bulb is 50-55cm from the ground
Ok so its 24 inches high--- you can use a T 5 bulb you have the height --- as long as the fixture has a reflector your good but yes they do make a difference in brand --- you have a odd size for a hood/ fixture -- what size is the bulb you are using ? the hood I am getting for the size is a 27" hood --- in the states they sell them 18-20-24-30-36 and up most use a 24" hood/ fixture depending on the tank length --- you want at least 1/2 of the tank covered but not the whole tank --- they need to be able to get out of the UVB rays w/ out having to hide from the UVB --

ok here you go this is a real good fixture comes w/ a bulb
https://www.amazon.ca/SunBlaster-09...eywords=24"+UVB+fixture&qid=1634400399&sr=8-9
Please order this ASAP --- you will need to change the bulb out in a year approx I recommend a month prior to

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please let me know when you get the UVB I will help you place it in the tank -- the distance for this UVB would need to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- If I am off on the height of the tank please tell me -- you need at least 18 inches high for the T 5

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so its 24 inches high--- you can use a T 5 bulb you have the height --- as long as the fixture has a reflector your good but yes they do make a difference in brand --- you have a odd size for a hood/ fixture -- what size is the bulb you are using ? the hood I am getting for the size is a 27" hood --- in the states they sell them 18-20-24-30-36 and up most use a 24" hood/ fixture depending on the tank length --- you want at least 1/2 of the tank covered but not the whole tank --- they need to be able to get out of the UVB rays w/ out having to hide from the UVB --

ok here you go this is a real good fixture comes w/ a bulb
https://www.amazon.ca/SunBlaster-0900302-Nanotech-Reflector-Medium/dp/B0748CH4B9/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=24"+UVB+fixture&qid=1634400399&sr=8-9
Please order this ASAP --- you will need to change the bulb out in a year approx I recommend a month prior to
I dont understand why I need to change the hood. The tank is 1.5 meters and the bulb is 0.6 meters. Do you mean that I need a longer bulb??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s a 150x60x60 cm tank
Ok so you have a 150 gallon tank -- I recommend a 36" hood for your tank -- https://www.amazon.ca/SunBlaster-09...ds=24+inch+uvb+fixture&qid=1634404159&sr=8-44
I dont know what your using but you want a good fixture and bulb --- thats all I can say and if your using a Exo Terra fixture and bulb they arent very good --
Please let me know what you decide --- and when and if you change it out please let me know so I can help you get it placed in or on the tank