• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon will only eat kale

rugergirl612

Bearded Dragon Egg
I adopted Flame from a rescue. He’s about 1.5yrs. From what I gathered, he was given kale, carrots and strawberries. I went out and bought collard greens, arugula, dandelion greens and butternut squash, also carrots. He wouldn’t touch any of it. So I bought kale and gave him that with squash, carrots and I sprinkled bee pollen on it. He ate it. I know kale isn’t a good staple but he won’t touch any other greens, even if I sprinkle bee pollen on them. At a loss. I’m going to try to mix it up but every time I do, he barely touches it. He also eats dubia roaches. Why is kale bad?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I adopted Flame from a rescue. He’s about 1.5yrs. From what I gathered, he was given kale, carrots and strawberries. I went out and bought collard greens, arugula, dandelion greens and butternut squash, also carrots. He wouldn’t touch any of it. So I bought kale and gave him that with squash, carrots and I sprinkled bee pollen on it. He ate it. I know kale isn’t a good staple but he won’t touch any other greens, even if I sprinkle bee pollen on them. At a loss. I’m going to try to mix it up but every time I do, he barely touches it. He also eats dubia roaches. Why is kale bad?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Kale is not bad in fact I just learned it is better nutritional value than the other greens-- many people feed kale and studies have been done and it is fine to feed- I would lay off on the fruits so much as they have alot of sugar and feed squash raw shredded sweet potatoes keeps them regular green beans - I will post a website later today for nutrition

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yup, kale is safe. Bell pepper is also an excellent fruit to feed and can be a staple. I recommend mixing some mustard/collar greens in with the kale just for some variety and to train him to eat many different kinds of greens in case kale is ever unavailable.