• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon - tank feedback

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there. I just got a baby dragon, after a good deal of research. Wanted to show my tank and get some feedback. Also / any suggestions to start veggies and non proteins? The store only had them on crickets.

Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 8FD14529-A3DC-407C-9BD7-DED648F910D2.jpeg
    8FD14529-A3DC-407C-9BD7-DED648F910D2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
I should add I have ordered a tubular Light that comes tomorrow. Does this take the place of my current round UVB bulb? Picture attached..

Attachments

• 188A3AD0-24DB-483F-B1FF-B01F7956320A.jpeg
    188A3AD0-24DB-483F-B1FF-B01F7956320A.jpeg
    837.7 KB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I should add I have ordered a tubular Light that comes tomorrow. Does this take the place of my current round UVB bulb? Picture attached..
What size is the tank -- and yes you got good UVB which is crucial to him -- distance for that bulb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- if the screen is a wide hole type the UVB can sit on top w/ a certain distance if the screen is fine mesh screen like a screen door it will need to be unobstructed --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer IR guns do not read off of hammocks-- how old is the dragon? - also I would recommend getting him a different hammock those green mesh one tend to cause injuries w/ the claws getting stuck in the causing sprains etc -- you can get a cloth or fleece one from here www.papmerbeardies.com
diet should consist of green salads every day ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
insects should be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding for a baby up to a year --
distance for the T 5 is 12-15 inches inside the tank for a fine screen or 8-10 inches sitting on top for a wide hole screen directly above basking decor
basking temps need to be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a juvie / adult dragon-
you will need to upgrade that tank very soon ---- he will out grow it fast for adult dragons he will need a 75 or 120 gallon tank - if you need more help there please ask -
the UVB will come w/ a 5.0 bulb for a tank thats 20 gallon use that bulb but it must be unobstructed w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above basking deor - its considered to be a T 8

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum:) Please listen to sadies advice, we only want ur dragon happy and healthy, yes he will outgrow that tank in a matter of weeks, he absolutely needs a 75gallon enclosure at the very minimum, 120gallons are recommended…

Attachments

• 97F68FD9-02AB-48C0-8D67-EB10DB43FA88.jpeg
    97F68FD9-02AB-48C0-8D67-EB10DB43FA88.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 8
  • C31862ED-45E7-4E0A-9752-F3A7EFFBDC1E.jpeg
    C31862ED-45E7-4E0A-9752-F3A7EFFBDC1E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
What size is the tank -- and yes you got good UVB which is crucial to him -- distance for that bulb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- if the screen is a wide hole type the UVB can sit on top w/ a certain distance if the screen is fine mesh screen like a screen door it will need to be unobstructed --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer IR guns do not read off of hammocks-- how old is the dragon? - also I would recommend getting him a different hammock those green mesh one tend to cause injuries w/ the claws getting stuck in the causing sprains etc -- you can get a cloth or fleece one from here www.papmerbeardies.com
diet should consist of green salads every day ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
insects should be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding for a baby up to a year --
distance for the T 5 is 12-15 inches inside the tank for a fine screen or 8-10 inches sitting on top for a wide hole screen directly above basking decor
basking temps need to be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a juvie / adult dragon-
you will need to upgrade that tank very soon ---- he will out grow it fast for adult dragons he will need a 75 or 120 gallon tank - if you need more help there please ask -
the UVB will come w/ a 5.0 bulb for a tank thats 20 gallon use that bulb but it must be unobstructed w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above basking deor - its considered to be a T 8
Thank you so much. This is very helpful… one other question. I have seen people talk about s dig area. Do you recommend?
Welcome to the forum:) Please listen to sadies advice, we only want ur dragon happy and healthy, yes he will outgrow that tank in a matter of weeks, he absolutely needs a 75gallon enclosure at the very minimum, 120gallons are recommended…
I appreciate the advice and will follow. Its really a shame that Petsmart sells the tank kits, leading you to think this is good. they are pricey and its too small. They also sale the sand for the dragon kit, which i put it for the first day until I read how bad it was.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much. This is very helpful… one other question. I have seen people talk about s dig area. Do you recommend?

I appreciate the advice and will follow. Its really a shame that Petsmart sells the tank kits, leading you to think this is good. they are pricey and its too small. They also sale the sand for the dragon kit, which i put it for the first day until I read how bad it was.
I bought a kit when i first had my dragon, for a new baby it’s recommended to keep their setup super simple and sterile, (if the dragons sick and infects its enclosure full of substrates , youll have alot harder time to clean it) keep the dragon on paper towels or something for a couple months, only then id recommend a dig area :)