• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon Rescue Owner

Phasma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hope everyone is doing well,

I have been a Veiled Cham. keeper for many years. I am new to the Dragon world and my intro is a rescue... That being said i have a general understanding of how to care for my new dragon i would just like to touch base with some veteran keepers. I cant tell you the size of his enclosure not 100% sure of his age/gender. But at this point what I do know is that he has had 0 supplements his whole life and have started a cycle heavier that i would normally use but i only intend to keep that for a month. i have him on a cycle of gut loaded Dubai and superworms. He will not eat anything but Kale not sure how to get him to eat greens.

I would love to have a feeding tray to keep bugs in place. (any suggestions)

Need something to store vegetables and something to make him eat them.

Temps are perfect 90-102 Hot zone with a hide, 80ish in the cold.

All help is welcome and thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome fellow grumpy cham owner! Sounds like you have the right idea with the beardie. I did the same with my rescue girl, went heavy on the supplements for the first month or so because I had no idea what she had before me. You could put the bugs in a glass bowl so they don't escape, you could also use one of those metal dog/cat feeder bowls just make sure the sides are high enough. Dubia are tricky and like to climb on top of each other to try to get out.

Something to store your veggies in? Are you talking in the fridge or in the tank? I cut mine up and put them in plastic ziplock bags with a paper towel. The greens keep for weeks if I make sure to squeeze the air out when I close the bag and change the paper towel if it gets too wet. I use the metal cat/dog food bowl to keep the greens in the tank. Try sprinkling bee pollen on the greens to help get him to eat them. I have two that go crazy for bee pollen and one that doesn't. My oldest girl is 5 1/2 and she refuses to eat greens on her own. I have to trick her by giving her a super worm and while she's chewing I slip a green in her mouth.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and good for you on taking in a rescue.. I would just keep offering better staple greens like the collard/turnip/mustard/dandelion greens and in time when he/she is hungry it will be there. Also gut loading the feeders with those in the long way around he/she is getting some of the nutrients.
I use glass dishes that I get at petco/petsmart that the sides are about an inch high (they are replacement dishes for a feeding set up and come in different sizes)
For salad bowls I use short sided dishes, I personally use tart dishes as they seem to be a great size..

Please post some pictures of your dragon and set up and maybe we can help

Phasma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here it is.

Attachments

• 20180906_203912.jpg
    20180906_203912.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180906_203904.jpg
    20180906_203904.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12

Phasma

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have him/her on a diet of Superworms, Hornworms, Dubia, and Green Banana roachs.

The green bananas are gut loaded with Red peppers and different types of apples

The supers and dubia have collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion leaf, bee pollen, and a combo of oats that I buy at the show as a dry gut load

The horns are just there food and sometimes I can get them to eat dandelion leaf

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have him/her on a diet of Superworms, Hornworms, Dubia, and Green Banana roachs.

The green bananas are gut loaded with Red peppers and different types of apples

The supers and dubia have collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion leaf, bee pollen, and a combo of oats that I buy at the show as a dry gut load

The horns are just there food and sometimes I can get them to eat dandelion leaf

Yeah, I can sometimes get the horns to eat the salads that I make for the dragons. All my other bugs get the stems and ends of the greens I cut up for the dragons.

The only thing I can say about the tank is that the analog temp gauges are inaccurate and they are reading the temps of the glass, up high where your dragon isn't sitting. Get a digital probe thermometer or an IR temp gun that can read the temp right in the area your dragon is sitting. Also, be careful of the mat and make sure the little pebbles aren't breaking off.

Phasma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yup that's where I got the numbers from, and when i got the best I broke off the loose ones but I will keep an eye ot for them breaking

Adrian Davis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hope everyone is doing well,

I have been a Veiled Cham. keeper for many years. I am new to the Dragon world and my intro is a rescue... That being said i have a general understanding of how to care for my new dragon i would just like to touch base with some veteran keepers. I cant tell you the size of his enclosure not 100% sure of his age/gender. But at this point what I do know is that he has had 0 supplements his whole life and have started a cycle heavier that i would normally use but i only intend to keep that for a month. i have him on a cycle of gut loaded Dubai and superworms. He will not eat anything but Kale not sure how to get him to eat greens.

I would love to have a feeding tray to keep bugs in place. (any suggestions)

Need something to store vegetables and something to make him eat them.

Temps are perfect 90-102 Hot zone with a hide, 80ish in the cold.

All help is welcome and thank you!

Adrian Davis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Learn how to hand feed your bearded dragon. Squash is also a very important part of their diet. Try it without the skin.
Cut in round circles and introduce it to the dragon.
You can learn to open their mouth slightly and let them bite down on it, but be careful with your fingers.
Some can bite aggressively and get your finger. Others may eat aggressively at first, but then get used to your touch.
They will let you know when they have had enough by not keeping the food in their mouth.

I have (at times) hand fed all three of my dragons and it is a great bonding moment especially when you see them perk up and get healthier.

Also, Repashy Superfood Calcium Plus is excellent as well as Reptaid (when needed) to help with ailments and energy.

Finally try introducing a clear bulb into the tank if you don't have one for heat and the day cycle. My beardies have the option of 2 basking sites, and a cool area with hiding places.

100 clear watt bulb for 40 gallon
60-75W for lower
And Reptisun for UVB to prevent metabolic bone disease.

Also. don't forget to give warm baths if they are constipated.

Goood Luck.