• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Berdie Owner (Owned?)

Ryan S

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, I have recently joined the world of beardie owners. I'm Ryan, and below is Sandy, whom I got a week and a half ago. Obviously, she is not a youngin'. 4 years old, her previous owner had life changes and could no longer give her the love and attention she deserves and was looking for a new, loving home. So she's been provided one.

I've done my bit of research, since this is my first beardie. Seems to be some conflicting information and all, but generally good stuff to go on. I was a little concerned about her adjustments to her new home, but she seems to be doing fine, for the most part. She's bonding with us, seems to feel comfortable as she'll easily go to sleep on or near us. She gets to explore the house, too, and loves to find new shady spots to plop down at.

I say mostly, though, because she's not hand feeding, nor is she eating any plant food. Her previous owner said she loved blueberries, bananas and kale, so I know she was fed plant stuff... but she's not having any of it here, yet. Crickets or bust. And I know at her age, that's not a good diet. I've tried a few different tricks to get her to eat greens, but no avail. I'm hoping it's still just moving stress. All I can do right now is keep trying.

IMG_5522.JPG
sandy sleeping.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Adults can be tricky especially when they are already set in their ways. Fruits are good as a treat and kale is okay to feed as long as you use it with other healthy greens. Kale and spinach bind to calcium and don't allow the body to absorb it properly. I have a picky 5 year old dragon and I trick her to eat her greens by sticking a piece in her mouth while she's chewing a bug. Another trick would be to sprinkle her greens with bee pollen. Lots of dragons love the taste of bee pollen and will eat them right up.

Ryan S

Bearded Dragon Egg
Adults can be tricky especially when they are already set in their ways. Fruits are good as a treat and kale is okay to feed as long as you use it with other healthy greens. Kale and spinach bind to calcium and don't allow the body to absorb it properly. I have a picky 5 year old dragon and I trick her to eat her greens by sticking a piece in her mouth while she's chewing a bug. Another trick would be to sprinkle her greens with bee pollen. Lots of dragons love the taste of bee pollen and will eat them right up.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely give that a try. I do think part of it is the move, even though we were given her old enclosure so she has some semblance of normalcy. But I noticed this morning that she was flexing her beard, which I hadn't seen her do in the mornings until today. She is also licking her surroundings (and us) more each day. So hopefully that means she is warming up to her new home and starting to feel even more comfortable.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Licking their surroundings is just their way of making sure everything is safe. Sounds like she's warming up!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like she is relaxing in her new home! Wonderful news