• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie!

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! Just got this little guy about a week ago. Does everything look adequate? Ignore the background, it's a temporary fix until I can find one that won't cost me 150 bucks to do three sides.. any suggestions on that? He seems to be doing well, on the health front at least, he's generally alert, but he still seems very nervous. Refused to eat greens so far but I've been gut loading all of his insects.. 50/50 crickets and wax worms. Hasn't been super active, assuming it's nerves, from what I can find lighting/ temps are good.. any suggestions? Thanks guys! (Also I HAVE left him alone for the most part, I understand that moving is stressful, I'm just obsessing over him and wanting to make sure I'm doing everything in my power to make him happy and comfortable.)

Attachments

• PXL_20230520_111141496.jpg
    PXL_20230520_111141496.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pics didn't go through
Ok so the tank looks high how tall is it? You have a wide screen so the UVB can stay on top but you need to get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 8-10 inches -- I dont see any temp gauges in the tank -- please get 2 digital probe thermometers place one probe on the basking decor where he sits for basking you dont need to leave it there but you want to get actual surface basking temps 105-110 -this is extremely important - the other one place on the cool side of your tank ambient temp low 80's -- if there is a coil in the one dome I cant really tell DO NOT use it--- he needs more climbing decor pieces -- if the tank has more height your going to want to get a tank w/ floor space by the time hes a year old - dragons like floor space not height - his eating will be off as long as hes eating that is good but if he stops all together thats not good - you can order him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com they are a small larvae use them as salad lures drop them on his salads in front of him you can hand feed him to tame him - are you dusting the insects? calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene -- I can give supplement schedule - the BSFL are a great staple feeder and compliment to the main insect - I recommend dubia roaches instead of crickets - they are cleaner feeder and less hassle than crickets - insects should be no bigger than the space between their eyes - this site has a chart for the roaches and the BSFL are called nutri grubs www.dubiaroaches.com please get all your lighting on par temps etc and the UVB -- this is what is going to help the dragon adjust to his tank and surroundings

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the tank looks high how tall is it? You have a wide screen so the UVB can stay on top but you need to get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 8-10 inches -- I dont see any temp gauges in the tank -- please get 2 digital probe thermometers place one probe on the basking decor where he sits for basking you dont need to leave it there but you want to get actual surface basking temps 105-110 -this is extremely important - the other one place on the cool side of your tank ambient temp low 80's -- if there is a coil in the one dome I cant really tell DO NOT use it--- he needs more climbing decor pieces -- if the tank has more height your going to want to get a tank w/ floor space by the time hes a year old - dragons like floor space not height - his eating will be off as long as hes eating that is good but if he stops all together thats not good - you can order him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com they are a small larvae use them as salad lures drop them on his salads in front of him you can hand feed him to tame him - are you dusting the insects? calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene -- I can give supplement schedule - the BSFL are a great staple feeder and compliment to the main insect - I recommend dubia roaches instead of crickets - they are cleaner feeder and less hassle than crickets - insects should be no bigger than the space between their eyes - this site has a chart for the roaches and the BSFL are called nutri grubs www.dubiaroaches.com please get all your lighting on par temps etc and the UVB -- this is what is going to help the dragon adjust to his tank and surroundings
The tank is 36x18x18 (bought the thrive starter kit from PS), I'm in the furniture business so I am building him a custom 120g tank w/ stand. No coil, second dome is a heat emitter, house gets to about 60-65 at night so it gives me peace of mind. Two hydrometer thermometers in there, I also have a laser thermometer. Basking spot is around 110, 90-95 on hot side, about 80 on the cool side. I have mostly only hand fed him, he doesn't seem comfortable enough to eat from his bowl. Humidity stays around 45%, a little higher at night but never above 55-60%. I didn't know about the food size, but I did notice that he doesn't seem to like the bigger worms, most are appropriate size though. I have tried dusting but it seems to put him off his appetite. I really want to get dubias but I've been really nervous about ordering bugs in the mail and no one local has them. What do you suggest in way of climbing/ basking decor? Do they like driftwood? Thanks for the tips!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tank is 36x18x18 (bought the thrive starter kit from PS), I'm in the furniture business so I am building him a custom 120g tank w/ stand. No coil, second dome is a heat emitter, house gets to about 60-65 at night so it gives me peace of mind. Two hydrometer thermometers in there, I also have a laser thermometer. Basking spot is around 110, 90-95 on hot side, about 80 on the cool side. I have mostly only hand fed him, he doesn't seem comfortable enough to eat from his bowl. Humidity stays around 45%, a little higher at night but never above 55-60%. I didn't know about the food size, but I did notice that he doesn't seem to like the bigger worms, most are appropriate size though. I have tried dusting but it seems to put him off his appetite. I really want to get dubias but I've been really nervous about ordering bugs in the mail and no one local has them. What do you suggest in way of climbing/ basking decor? Do they like driftwood? Thanks for the tips!
Ok the hygrometer is a analog? If so I recommend a digital probe hygrometer they are the most accurate -- digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - IR guns are good but certain materials will throw the temps off --- 60-65 at night is good temp -- dragons like cool and dark - unless hes sick it is good to have the heat emitter - thats when you want warmer temps at night low 80's- but if hes good and healthy those temps of 65 are good --- so he doesnt like the powder ? Then we need to get some liquid calcium -- he needs calcium D3 now hes growing -- you dont want to feed worms or insects bigger than the space between his eyes it will impact him --- we dont want that - mot people order on line -- I gave you two good websites for ordering - pet stores are unreliable for feeders and more expensive --- there is a vet tech on here that has a store and she can help you w/ the liquid calcium--- your dragon needs to stay hydrated or he wont eat --- please drop water on his nose and see if he will lick you can also use a eye dropper as well - most dragons get their water from the greens they eat -- you can rinse them before serving but we need him to start eating them so that is why I suggested the BSFL / nurtri grubs --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
here is a bowl that works good for salads and insects https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
yes driftwood is good but you need to bake it in the oven to kill what ever is living in it - 300 for like 25 minutes or so --- its hard to keep clean tho -- I use decor pieces made out of resin so I can disinfect them and wash them - most of my decor has come from Pet Smart --
https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
I would set up a 10 gallon aquarium and order 200 dubia roaches along w/ dubia food and dubia dew / water crystals - feed them what you feed the dragon just not carrots to both of them too much Vit A feed one or the other -- you said worms what worms are you feeding? NO meal worms they will impact him the exo skeleton on the worm is too harsh -- wait till hes close to a year old before feeding those and wax worms are too fatty and long term and too many will cause liver issues -- get him some small super worms use them on his salads 1-3 every other day -- small horn worms are good but they grow very fast and you would need to feed them off - 1-2 every day on his salads as well - they are a good hydrating worm
I am going to post a website for liquid calcium Tracie is the vet tech on here she can advise on the calcium--
https://bug-de-lite.com/ you can send her a message on the website and ask about the liquid calcium and how much to give and how to give-- I would ask about vitamins as well -- she can help w/ that too but he needs this

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the hygrometer is a analog? If so I recommend a digital probe hygrometer they are the most accurate -- digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - IR guns are good but certain materials will throw the temps off --- 60-65 at night is good temp -- dragons like cool and dark - unless hes sick it is good to have the heat emitter - thats when you want warmer temps at night low 80's- but if hes good and healthy those temps of 65 are good --- so he doesnt like the powder ? Then we need to get some liquid calcium -- he needs calcium D3 now hes growing -- you dont want to feed worms or insects bigger than the space between his eyes it will impact him --- we dont want that - mot people order on line -- I gave you two good websites for ordering - pet stores are unreliable for feeders and more expensive --- there is a vet tech on here that has a store and she can help you w/ the liquid calcium--- your dragon needs to stay hydrated or he wont eat --- please drop water on his nose and see if he will lick you can also use a eye dropper as well - most dragons get their water from the greens they eat -- you can rinse them before serving but we need him to start eating them so that is why I suggested the BSFL / nurtri grubs --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
here is a bowl that works good for salads and insects https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
yes driftwood is good but you need to bake it in the oven to kill what ever is living in it - 300 for like 25 minutes or so --- its hard to keep clean tho -- I use decor pieces made out of resin so I can disinfect them and wash them - most of my decor has come from Pet Smart --
https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
I would set up a 10 gallon aquarium and order 200 dubia roaches along w/ dubia food and dubia dew / water crystals - feed them what you feed the dragon just not carrots to both of them too much Vit A feed one or the other -- you said worms what worms are you feeding? NO meal worms they will impact him the exo skeleton on the worm is too harsh -- wait till hes close to a year old before feeding those and wax worms are too fatty and long term and too many will cause liver issues -- get him some small super worms use them on his salads 1-3 every other day -- small horn worms are good but they grow very fast and you would need to feed them off - 1-2 every day on his salads as well - they are a good hydrating worm
I am going to post a website for liquid calcium Tracie is the vet tech on here she can advise on the calcium--
https://bug-de-lite.com/ you can send her a message on the website and ask about the liquid calcium and how much to give and how to give-- I would ask about vitamins as well -- she can help w/ that too but he needs this
Bought a cup of wax worms just to try and get him to eat more. Heard they're high fat but also have a lot of moisture so I wanted to try it. Will do on the vitamins. Thank you!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is a nice little setup for him. As Sadie suggested, try to lower your UVB some, so he gets a stronger
exposure.
It is challenging to get calcium supplementation into them if they wont eat the insects or greens with it on
them. A liquid is very helpful & easy to give as well.
Are you giving vitamins too?
The waxworms are good for a treat & they usually like them but limit them since they are higher in fat than
other insects.

Tracie

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

That is a nice little setup for him. As Sadie suggested, try to lower your UVB some, so he gets a stronger
exposure.
It is challenging to get calcium supplementation into them if they wont eat the insects or greens with it on
them. A liquid is very helpful & easy to give as well.
Are you giving vitamins too?
The waxworms are good for a treat & they usually like them but limit them since they are higher in fat than
other insects.

Tracie
Hi guys, so he's had time to adjust, and I've also got two digital hygrometers in the tank, and the humidity is LOW. Staying around 40 on the cool side, but hot side is reading low 30s upper 20s. Had to mist twice today to get it up.. upgraded to a 150w basking bulb to get temps up to 95 hot side, 80 cool side, should I drop back down? And Tracie, today I was able to get him to eat the dusted crickets,(vitamin powder today) so hopefully he's done being stubborn. I gave him a hornworm a week ago and he outright refused to eat anything the next couple days, had me worried sick. He does still have very dark lines, but only when he's alone in the tank for a while.. would tv/ animal sounds bother him? He's in a very public space atm (my coffee table). Any other ideas? I fixed the uvb, also been taking him outside for a few minutes once or twice a day. Do babies sleep during the day? He has periods of high activity (tbh looks more like freakouts than playing..) but mostly he just lays around all day, dark, with his eyes closed

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys, so he's had time to adjust, and I've also got two digital hygrometers in the tank, and the humidity is LOW. Staying around 40 on the cool side, but hot side is reading low 30s upper 20s. Had to mist twice today to get it up.. upgraded to a 150w basking bulb to get temps up to 95 hot side, 80 cool side, should I drop back down? And Tracie, today I was able to get him to eat the dusted crickets,(vitamin powder today) so hopefully he's done being stubborn. I gave him a hornworm a week ago and he outright refused to eat anything the next couple days, had me worried sick. He does still have very dark lines, but only when he's alone in the tank for a while.. would tv/ animal sounds bother him? He's in a very public space atm (my coffee table). Any other ideas? I fixed the uvb, also been taking him outside for a few minutes once or twice a day. Do babies sleep during the day? He has periods of high activity (tbh looks more like freakouts than playing..) but mostly he just lays around all day, dark, with his eyes closed
Also
Also, I have a background coming, what is the best way to apply it to the inside of the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also

Also, I have a background coming, what is the best way to apply it to the inside of the tank?
Outside of tank for background - you want your surface basking temps on par - are you using a analog hygrometer or a analog? Analogs are always inaccurate - please get a digital probe hygrometer - exo Terra makes them-- it should be placed in the middle of back center wall- 30% is good optimal 40-50% nothing under 20% over 70%
Also

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Outside of tank for background - you want your surface basking temps on par - are you using a analog hygrometer or a analog? Analogs are always inaccurate - please get a digital probe hygrometer - exo Terra makes them-- it should be placed in the middle of back center wall- 30% is good optimal 40-50% nothing under 20% over 70%
And yes other animals will stress him out - I would look at getting him a dresser or some sort of stand w/ shelves or drawers for his supplies - to put him on-