• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie owner

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my son wanted a bearded dragon and yesterday he got one. I am fully aware that I will be the one caring for him so I want to make sure he is doing ok. He has a UVB light and he has a basking light and a thermostat to keep it all in check. He has multiple hides and water and greens and mealworms/superworms. He has no problem eating his greens and veggies but he hasn’t eaten a mealworm or superworm yet. I don’t know how to entice him. Should I put the worms on his greens in the morning? I know as a baby he will need the protein. Any help is appreciated

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my son wanted a bearded dragon and yesterday he got one. I am fully aware that I will be the one caring for him so I want to make sure he is doing ok. He has a UVB light and he has a basking light and a thermostat to keep it all in check. He has multiple hides and water and greens and mealworms/superworms. He has no problem eating his greens and veggies but he hasn’t eaten a mealworm or superworm yet. I don’t know how to entice him. Should I put the worms on his greens in the morning? I know as a baby he will need the protein. Any help is appreciated
Welcome and yes you will be doing alot of the caring for the dragon -- so lets go over your lighting in the tank ---- if you have a coil UVB get rid of it- they are a health hazzard to the dragon --- next the basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons please they are inaccurate temps should be 105-110 on his basking spot -- please NO meal worms -- they are not a good worm for a baby now - the chitlin on the worm is to hard for them to digest - super worms should only be fed like 1-3 on top of salads 2 or 3 times per week --- and they need to small - no medium or large - they will cause impaction in a baby like the meal worms - please get your baby some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com - order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise --- I recommend dubia roaches for another staple - the BSFL are a good staple for babies and good salad topper feed as many as you want and DO NOT DUST - a good compliment to the BSFL are dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com you will need to dust them 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding lightly coated vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lighting coated - again order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise --- to keep him eating and healthy you need the correct basking temps and UVB those two things I just mentioned are the life line to that dragon ---- please ask for help if you need more info on the UVB --- they require certain distances and placement for certain bulbs ---- what size tank do you have ?

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
So he has a 40 gal right now. I’m not sure how old he is because I got him from petco but I know he is a baby. He has a reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb for his UVB and I am going to get some 3M strips to mount it to the inside of the cage tomorrow since currently it is just sitting on top. I do have a probe thermometer/thermostat thing on his basking area. I can run to the store and get some roaches tomorrow to try out and see if he will eat them. I can also get some of the BSFL.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So he has a 40 gal right now. I’m not sure how old he is because I got him from petco but I know he is a baby. He has a reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb for his UVB and I am going to get some 3M strips to mount it to the inside of the cage tomorrow since currently it is just sitting on top. I do have a probe thermometer/thermostat thing on his basking area. I can run to the store and get some roaches tomorrow to try out and see if he will eat them. I can also get some of the BSFL.
Ok your off to a good start -- when mounting the UVB in the tank place a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches ---- I would look at getting your roaches and other worms on line - its going to be cheaper in the long run than buying from the pet stores plus they seem to not be able to keep up w/ the demand as well ---

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes my plan is to buy them online but since he hasn’t had any bugs in over 48 hours because he won’t touch the supers or mealworms I just wanted to get him started on a protein. I spent like $500 setting him up and getting him a good start and I really don’t want him to die. I’m sure he will be fine until the ones I ordered come in but I don’t like to think any animal is suffering because I’m not doing something right

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
EDD5B3C8-47A9-457F-AB88-5BBB6E141F11.jpeg
I never did get a picture up of his tank. The little gauges on the back are basically decor because I have the probe on his basking log. Just making sure all looks good

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 28665I never did get a picture up of his tank. The little gauges on the back are basically decor because I have the probe on his basking log. Just making sure all looks good
I see he's under the uvb-- looks good-- the stick ons are good for ambient temps - which is what you want for nite time temps- get a air temp of where he's sitting in the picture

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s the only supplement I have and I was going to buy another vitamin because I keep hearing that he needs calcium and vitamin d and then a separate multivit with beta carotene but I’m wondering if just this product is sufficient for both

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s the only supplement I have and I was going to buy another vitamin because I keep hearing that he needs calcium and vitamin d and then a separate multivit with beta carotene but I’m wondering if just this product is sufficient for both
He needs calcium D3 does it have D3 or just D ?

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s the only supplement I have and I was going to buy another vitamin because I keep hearing that he needs calcium and vitamin d and then a separate multivit with beta carotene but I’m wondering if just this product is sufficient for

Pawsfoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
The person at the store told me dust the insects every other day with those vitamins. Do you think that is sufficient? Or should I be doing it daily?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The person at the store told me dust the insects every other day with those vitamins. Do you think that is sufficient? Or should I be doing it daily?
I asked a vet tech about the Repashy you have and this is what she recommended

It depends on the type of light for UVB that they have. I normally don't
recommend using D3 more than a few times per week. Especially if they
are using a T5 tube bulb or a stronger UVB like a mercury vapor, etc.
Also, if the dragon is younger than a year, he will need extra calcium but
not necessarily D3.
So I would get a regular calcium w/ NO D3 and NO phosphorus and give that the alternate days - 2 days a week - and the Repashy 2-3 times per week - does the Repashy have beta carotene?