• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I apologize in advance if I'm not posting this correctly & For the length it's gonna be!
Looking to avoid problems...
Adopted baby 3 1/2 weeks ago

BASICS: 40 gal breeder tank,
reptisun t5 reptile 10 bulb over 70% of tank
8.5 dome with 150 watt (basking),
8.5 dome 100 watt ceramic emitter (night)
Lights on/off 8am/8 pm
Just received vivarium electronics thermometer/hygrometer
QUESTION: how do I use this?

Eating small dusted (multi/calcium combo) crickets 2x day (30 total)
strawberries, red pepper, carrots, spinach leaf all misted w/spring water (eats a few bites if I hand feed mid day) & Phoenix worms (small/med)
eating 25 or so @ 7pm

FOOD QUESTION: is that enough food & what is the best way to get fresh food small enough? Can he choke if they are not small enough? How many times a day should I dust insects using the combo? Is it better to have separate calcium & multivitamin?

Spring water mist 1x daily & water with dropper on nose a few times a day.
Think he likes the mist-licks the air or shuts eyes & squirms alot so he gets it all over?
He will drink drops on nose but rarely
(I worry about dehydration)

WATER QUESTION: is that too much or not enough? Cannot get him interested in dish
QUESTION: should dish be in tank (day) or no?

His decor: desert mat, towel behind back (he didn't seem to like the mirror behind his tank) rock/cave 9" partially below bask bulb with uvb behind that, mopani thing 9/10" below bask bulb &
24" long drift wood 11" Below uvb.
4/5" of this driftwood receives no uvb

LIGHTING QUESTIONS: the basking dome takes up space to just past middle of screen so the uvb sits just behind along the back. He isn't directly under uvb except mopani 9" & a part of driftwood which 11" below it. Light from uvb touches most perches.
SCREEN came with Thrive bearded dragon kit from PetSmart. Holes aren't super fine like screen but little circles that don't seem tiny nor large & has a plastic edging which reduces overall Width & length. Do I need a regular screen top?

UVB QUESTION: Would install inside as you have mentioned but afraid it would be too close in the 40 gal breeder? Is it better to lay the uvb sideways to have dragon directly under it for 2 perches & not along the back where he gets just "rays"?

QUESTIONS I NEED ANSWERS FOR TOO:
I see other's handling their babies but I'm afraid & have read that it's better to have them get used to you which may take months & will eventually on their own terms climb on your hand? If forced it will have negative effects erasing any trust I have built. Is this true? He was very skittish but now is chill when I'm in there, takes food from my fingers, comes running to me when I approach & is allowing me to touch his tail. Just touched his foot & he moved away. Is he not ready?

If I was to hold him-how do I pick him up?
I have many places that a small & FAST lizard could run & get lost so wondering if I should go in from top of tank instead of doors in case he jumps out of my hand but read that I shouldn't ever pick up from above. I'm so scared! If he did get away, how does one get him back in tank if he keeps running away?

BATHING: Once I can handle him, How many baths weekly? Spring water? Electrolytes in water? Do I towel dry? Morning or before bed time?

I just purchased the reptisun hood & 10 bulb along w/ mopani & driftwood perches. He was always perched under the same 150 reptisun bask bulb & domed uvb but
Since I changed-he now perches in various spots, rarely on the original perch & mostly he is choosing the cooler end of driftwood which has no uvb & no basking bulb. Does he prefer this perch? Why doesn't he use the original perch under the basking light anymore? He is eating & acting the same, he just moves from perch to perch since I added the reptisun & new perches. Should I move his new favorite under the basking & uvb or leave him be?

How can I be certain he is getting enough water since I can't bathe? I read that putting Apple juice in water would make him drink from a dish?
He turds (large) twice a day & it's dark with a side of White & appears normal.
He just had an all over shed.

I'm open to any/all info as I'm totally new to reptiles & want a happy/healthy family member. Do they like toys or anything? Was interested in a hammock but heard babies have been found hanging by the neck because the holes are too large until they get older so anybody reading-please remove the brown hammocks if your beardie head could fit through.
Another question: meal worms-are they safe for juveniles? When is a beardie considered a juvenile? Adult?
When shedding should I mist more? Should I lightly try to remove large loose skin or leave it to fall off on its own? I read that if left alone, it's possible that beardie could lose toes & tail because it cuts off circulation to those areas?

Harness & leash- are they good?
Should they be used early or will a beardie allow them at any age?

I'm sorry this is long!
I have so many questions!

What is glass surfing? Mine sometimes goes to the glass & scratches? he doesn't do this much is at all anymore but he did when I first got him. He now comes to the glass & stares at me. Does he want something like water?

Needing info on insects too but can make sperate post of this is all too much

What substrate for Phoenix worms/do I feed them?
Dubai roaches-size? How do I keep them alive? Should I breed or buy as needed? How would I pick out the size I need if breeding?

Thanks in advance to all that can help!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Woah thats alot of questions, im in no way tryin to be mean or disrespectful, but alot of this information you should have known before you got a lizard just sayin, but we’re here now so I’ll answer what i can for ya, first off the thermo and hydro , you should move ur thermometer between his basking area the middle of the tank then the cool side to get proper temperature readings, some people leave them in the tank (i dont cause I check my temps daily with a probe) i HIGHLY recommend having backup bulbs, ur beardy can go a couple days without heat, he can NOT go a couple days without Uvb, the hydrometer really isnt a critical thing unless you battle with high humidity (if u live in Florida id be concerned) otherwise humidity should be no more than 30% in the tank, handling is perfectly okay , start doing it inside the tank give him the option to run away, if hes already coming to you that’s really good, if you can take him out sit down on a carpet and offer some feeders outside the tank(id vacuum before u get him out just to be safe) if ur picking him up do ur best to not do the “claw hand” come from infront of him stick ur finger under his chest always support your bearded dragons from their chest to tail, baths: id be giving him them now only once a week or if hes dirty and u want to hold him, tap water can dry out a beardies skin be aware and id do it in the evening so he can dry before bed, i dont know anything about putting water additives so maybe someone else can give advice on that, he “should” be getting water from his bugs and salad, i offer water from a spray bottle every morning for my girl(dont spray in nose) shedding is important to moniter, i only help with eyes nose tail tip and toes, they do a good job of getting it off themselves, be very very very careful when removing shed from eyes beadies shake their heads alot when ur around their eye, just soak him in a tub of warm water not hot , warm , use a toothbrush to scrub(go with their scales and side to side) they’re like cats they dont like being rubbed the opposite way lol, and bugs , if you have the funds id breed them, id get a large tote put a couple inches of dirt on the bottom and have egg crates for the roaches if u offer them food make shure its in BOwl so mold doesn’t get introduced, mist the roach bin lightly, roaches need warmpth humidity and protein to breed, sorry if I didn’t answer all ur questions , if you can post a pic of your lil guy and his setup? Dont take anything ive said as law everyone does stuff differently , if u have any more questions please do ask

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, a lot of these questions can be answered by Googling and reading from reputable reptile sites. I did reply on your other post regarding the dusting, but granted I didn’t reply in depth. But you should not be dusting anything twice a day.

In regards to how many bugs, as a baby it’s recommended you feed them as many bugs as they will eat in a 15 minute window. Always allow them a couple of hours from when lights are on before feeding in the morning so their body has a chance to warm up. Same applies in the evening, once fed make sure the lights remain on for a few hours after so they have a chance to digest.

You can use Reptisafe in their water and baths, it is a water conditioner that removes chlorine etc so that the water is safer for them to drink. Please note most beardies don’t drink directly from their water dish, they will be hydrated from their food, dropping on the nose, misting or from drinking the bath water. If you do bath your beardie please read info before you do so and make sure you’ve got the correct temps, the water is not too deep and they do not aspirate.

You can chop/slice fruit and veg small or you can grate it (depending on what it is). Do not feed your beardie spinach, and limit the amount of fruit. There are websites with lists of safe greens/fruits/veggies you can refer to. I don’t have a link currently as I’m out walking whilst typing this! But please, no spinach.

Hopefully others will chime in with further info but please take time to research and ensure you’re not making too many mistakes or your beardie will not thrive. UVB and UVA set up is the most important part of care, ensure that’s set up correctly ASAP :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I apologize in advance if I'm not posting this correctly & For the length it's gonna be!

Lights on/off 8am/8 pm

strawberries, red pepper, carrots, spinach leaf all misted w/spring water (eats a few bites if I hand feed mid day) & Phoenix worms (small/med)
eating 25 or so @ 7pm

FOOD QUESTION: is that enough food & what is the best way to get fresh food small enough? Can he choke if they are not small enough? How many times a day should I dust insects using the combo? Is it better to have separate calcium & multivitamin?

Think he likes the mist-licks the air or shuts eyes & squirms alot so he gets it all over?

WATER QUESTION: is that too much or not enough? Cannot get him interested in dish

His decor: desert mat, towel behind back (he didn't seem to like the mirror behind his tank) rock/cave 9" partially below bask bulb with uvb behind that, mopani thing 9/10" below bask bulb &

LIGHTING QUESTIONS: the basking dome takes up space to just past middle of screen so the uvb sits just behind along the back. He isn't directly under uvb except mopani 9" & a part of driftwood which 11" below it. Light from uvb touches most perches.
SCREEN came with Thrive bearded dragon kit from PetSmart. Holes aren't super fine like screen but little circles that don't seem tiny nor large & has a plastic edging which reduces overall Width & length. Do I need a regular screen top?

UVB QUESTION: Would install inside as you have mentioned but afraid it would be too close in the 40 gal breeder? Is it better to lay the uvb sideways to have dragon directly under it for 2 perches & not along the back where he gets just "rays"?

I see other's handling their babies but I'm afraid & have read that it's better to have them get used to you which may take months & will eventually on their own terms climb on your hand? If forced it will have negative effects erasing any trust I have built. Is this true? He was very skittish but now is chill when I'm in there, takes food from my fingers, comes running to me when I approach & is allowing me to touch his tail. Just touched his foot & he moved away. Is he not ready?

I have many places that a small & FAST lizard could run & get lost so wondering if I should go in from top of tank instead of doors in case he jumps out of my hand but read that I shouldn't ever pick up from above. I'm so scared! If he did get away, how does one get him back in tank if he keeps running away?

BATHING: Once I can handle him, How many baths weekly? Spring water? Electrolytes in water? Do I towel dry? Morning or before bed time?

I just purchased the reptisun hood & 10 bulb along w/ mopani & driftwood perches. He was always perched under the same 150 reptisun bask bulb & domed uvb but
Since I changed-he now perches in various spots, rarely on the original perch & mostly he is choosing the cooler end of driftwood which has no uvb & no basking bulb. Does he prefer this perch? Why doesn't he use the original perch under the basking light anymore? He is eating & acting the same, he just moves from perch to perch since I added the reptisun & new perches. Should I move his new favorite under the basking & uvb or leave him be?

How can I be certain he is getting enough water since I can't bathe? I read that putting Apple juice in water would make him drink from a dish?

I'm open to any/all info as I'm totally new to reptiles & want a happy/healthy family member. Do they like toys or anything? Was interested in a hammock but heard babies have been found hanging by the neck because the holes are too large until they get older so anybody reading-please remove the brown hammocks if your beardie head could fit through.
Another question: meal worms-are they safe for juveniles? When is a beardie considered a juvenile? Adult?
When shedding should I mist more? Should I lightly try to remove large loose skin or leave it to fall off on its own? I read that if left alone, it's possible that beardie could lose toes & tail because it cuts off circulation to those areas?

I'm sorry this is long!

What is glass surfing? Mine sometimes goes to the glass & scratches? he doesn't do this much is at all anymore but he did when I first got him. He now comes to the glass & stares at me. Does he want something like water?

Dubai roaches-size? How do I keep them alive? Should I breed or buy as needed? How would I pick out the size I need if breeding?

Lots of questions. lol I think most were answered for you. I acquired my first beardie, Seymore, from a women who had taken him in a few weeks prior from a relative. She gave him to me as she really didn't have time for him, but didn't want him neglected. I took him in without knowing anything about beardies. Sadly we were only together a few weeks as it was discovered he had a tumor and his health declined rapidly. But I was hooked.

Shortly after I got Dexter as a small, little baby. As I wanted the absolute best for him I got online and discovered this forum. I asked tons of questions and received a lot of help on everything from lighting, substrate, feeding and shedding from a bunch of peeps. Don't feel bad about not knowing everything. And, don't hesitate to ask the questions. That's what the forum is for. I think we'd rather you asked tons of questions to ensure a happy, healthy beardie than not.

Let us know if any of the questions asked are still a mystery. :) We'll do our best to help out.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member

Lights on/off 8am/8 pm

eating 25 or so @ 7pm

I'm sorry this is long!

Be careful when harnessing a baby beardie. Don't pull on the leash, and keep walks indoors for babies. They can wear harnesses as long as they fit appropriately, have a stretchy leash, and are not made with a material that get get caught in their scales. Gradually introduce the beardie to wearing a harness, starting with just a few minutes of wearing it and working up to a longer period of time.

Glass surfing is when beardies appear to be running at the glass, trying to escape the tank. Sometimes they do this because the tank is too small or something inside is bothering them, and some will do it when somebody walks by and they want to be fed or handled.

If your worms came in a cup of dirt/coconut fiber, you can keep them in the cup. You don't need to feed them, but feeding makes them bigger and healthier. https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/growing-phoenix-worms/

Beardies can have mealworms as treats when they are 6 months or older. Beardies are considered adults around 18 months and they are juveniles when they are 6-12 months.

For dubia roaches, you'll need to order the size closest to the distance between his eyes or smaller. You can keep them in an aquarium or plastic tub with air holes and egg flats in the bottom. Breeding is cheaper, especially if you have a baby dragon, but it can take a while to get a colony started because they take so long to mature. For breeding, choose the adult/large size. You can also buy colony starter kits that come with the ideal male:female ratio.

You can put apple juice in his water dish, but only a little bit. Use organic juice that doesn't have any ingredients (homemade is best). A better way to hydrate is to offer him hornworms and other high-water content food once or twice a week. If he can get most of his water from diet and misting, you won't need to give him a water dish.

Misting more can help him shed. Avoid pulling off the skin. You can help with the process by scrubbing gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush right after misting.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Woah thats alot of questions, im in no way tryin to be mean or disrespectful, but alot of this information you should have known before you got a lizard just sayin, but we’re here now so I’ll answer what i can for ya, first off the thermo and hydro , you should move ur thermometer between his basking area the middle of the tank then the cool side to get proper temperature readings, some people leave them in the tank (i dont cause I check my temps daily with a probe) i HIGHLY recommend having backup bulbs, ur beardy can go a couple days without heat, he can NOT go a couple days without Uvb, the hydrometer really isnt a critical thing unless you battle with high humidity (if u live in Florida id be concerned) otherwise humidity should be no more than 30% in the tank, handling is perfectly okay , start doing it inside the tank give him the option to run away, if hes already coming to you that’s really good, if you can take him out sit down on a carpet and offer some feeders outside the tank(id vacuum before u get him out just to be safe) if ur picking him up do ur best to not do the “claw hand” come from infront of him stick ur finger under his chest always support your bearded dragons from their chest to tail, baths: id be giving him them now only once a week or if hes dirty and u want to hold him, tap water can dry out a beardies skin be aware and id do it in the evening so he can dry before bed, i dont know anything about putting water additives so maybe someone else can give advice on that, he “should” be getting water from his bugs and salad, i offer water from a spray bottle every morning for my girl(dont spray in nose) shedding is important to moniter, i only help with eyes nose tail tip and toes, they do a good job of getting it off themselves, be very very very careful when removing shed from eyes beadies shake their heads alot when ur around their eye, just soak him in a tub of warm water not hot , warm , use a toothbrush to scrub(go with their scales and side to side) they’re like cats they dont like being rubbed the opposite way lol, and bugs , if you have the funds id breed them, id get a large tote put a couple inches of dirt on the bottom and have egg crates for the roaches if u offer them food make shure its in BOwl so mold doesn’t get introduced, mist the roach bin lightly, roaches need warmpth humidity and protein to breed, sorry if I didn’t answer all ur questions , if you can post a pic of your lil guy and his setup? Dont take anything ive said as law everyone does stuff differently , if u have any more questions please do ask
Thank you for your response! I made the mistake of purchasing after questioning store workers then came home & went online which is when I saw conflicting statements. I won't make excuses but say that you are correct-I should have done the research before bringing a dragon home. Thanks again!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your response! I made the mistake of purchasing after questioning store workers then came home & went online which is when I saw conflicting statements. I won't make excuses but say that you are correct-I should have done the research before bringing a dragon home. Thanks again!
Its all good like i said i mean no disrespect, we care about your lil guy and want the best for him :)

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, a lot of these questions can be answered by Googling and reading from reputable reptile sites. I did reply on your other post regarding the dusting, but granted I didn’t reply in depth. But you should not be dusting anything twice a day.

In regards to how many bugs, as a baby it’s recommended you feed them as many bugs as they will eat in a 15 minute window. Always allow them a couple of hours from when lights are on before feeding in the morning so their body has a chance to warm up. Same applies in the evening, once fed make sure the lights remain on for a few hours after so they have a chance to digest.

You can use Reptisafe in their water and baths, it is a water conditioner that removes chlorine etc so that the water is safer for them to drink. Please note most beardies don’t drink directly from their water dish, they will be hydrated from their food, dropping on the nose, misting or from drinking the bath water. If you do bath your beardie please read info before you do so and make sure you’ve got the correct temps, the water is not too deep and they do not aspirate.

You can chop/slice fruit and veg small or you can grate it (depending on what it is). Do not feed your beardie spinach, and limit the amount of fruit. There are websites with lists of safe greens/fruits/veggies you can refer to. I don’t have a link currently as I’m out walking whilst typing this! But please, no spinach.

Hopefully others will chime in with further info but please take time to research and ensure you’re not making too many mistakes or your beardie will not thrive. UVB and UVA set up is the most important part of care, ensure that’s set up correctly ASAP :)
I found this forum as I was online doing research bcuz different pet stores along with online all had conflicting statements so I was hoping that by talking w/those that have bearded dragons that I would get actual truth before I ran into any health issues. I apologize that it was sooo long.
I really appreciate you & everyone else that took the time to read & respond!
I now know not to feed spinach & not to dust all insects nor use the combo calcium/multivitamin.
I'm really pissed that stores give completely wrong info & these sweet babies suffer because of it. If punching them in the face would correct this problem, I would go do that today...
Thanks so much for your time & the great advice!

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon

Please disregard the temp gauges as I have learned they are not good. Let me know what I need to change/correct please..ty!
Lots of questions. lol I think most were answered for you. I acquired my first beardie, Seymore, from a women who had taken him in a few weeks prior from a relative. She gave him to me as she really didn't have time for him, but didn't want him neglected. I took him in without knowing anything about beardies. Sadly we were only together a few weeks as it was discovered he had a tumor and his health declined rapidly. But I was hooked.

Shortly after I got Dexter as a small, little baby. As I wanted the absolute best for him I got online and discovered this forum. I asked tons of questions and received a lot of help on everything from lighting, substrate, feeding and shedding from a bunch of peeps. Don't feel bad about not knowing everything. And, don't hesitate to ask the questions. That's what the forum is for. I think we'd rather you asked tons of questions to ensure a happy, healthy beardie than not.

Let us know if any of the questions asked are still a mystery. :) We'll do our best to help out.
Thank you so much!
I'm sorry about seymore. That is so sad!
It's the worst part about having & loving pets. I always say that I can't do it anymore, say no more pets but then I feel like a part of me is missing & eventually adopt another.
Just lost my 15 yr old Chihuahua (September) & just got weepy as I wrote that. Now I'm crying-
new pets help as you have something to do taking care of them but there is still always a void that can never be filled..
Thank you for taking the time to read & comment.

Attachments

• F15EE18B-95C7-4B12-847F-C785FF9AADE4.jpeg
    F15EE18B-95C7-4B12-847F-C785FF9AADE4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • BFD063F4-4E94-4896-81E5-2BF83063293F.jpeg
    BFD063F4-4E94-4896-81E5-2BF83063293F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • A3F2E70B-538D-427F-9378-AC5830B5FD5B.jpeg
    A3F2E70B-538D-427F-9378-AC5830B5FD5B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • D6612BE7-F6F6-4816-8155-720ED57EF82B.jpeg
    D6612BE7-F6F6-4816-8155-720ED57EF82B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 95036B9A-D223-4FFC-A955-EF456040F111.jpeg
    95036B9A-D223-4FFC-A955-EF456040F111.jpeg
    970.4 KB · Views: 12

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Be careful when harnessing a baby beardie. Don't pull on the leash, and keep walks indoors for babies. They can wear harnesses as long as they fit appropriately, have a stretchy leash, and are not made with a material that get get caught in their scales. Gradually introduce the beardie to wearing a harness, starting with just a few minutes of wearing it and working up to a longer period of time.

Glass surfing is when beardies appear to be running at the glass, trying to escape the tank. Sometimes they do this because the tank is too small or something inside is bothering them, and some will do it when somebody walks by and they want to be fed or handled.

If your worms came in a cup of dirt/coconut fiber, you can keep them in the cup. You don't need to feed them, but feeding makes them bigger and healthier. https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/growing-phoenix-worms/

Beardies can have mealworms as treats when they are 6 months or older. Beardies are considered adults around 18 months and they are juveniles when they are 6-12 months.

For dubia roaches, you'll need to order the size closest to the distance between his eyes or smaller. You can keep them in an aquarium or plastic tub with air holes and egg flats in the bottom. Breeding is cheaper, especially if you have a baby dragon, but it can take a while to get a colony started because they take so long to mature. For breeding, choose the adult/large size. You can also buy colony starter kits that come with the ideal male:female ratio.

You can put apple juice in his water dish, but only a little bit. Use organic juice that doesn't have any ingredients (homemade is best). A better way to hydrate is to offer him hornworms and other high-water content food once or twice a week. If he can get most of his water from diet and misting, you won't need to give him a water dish.

Misting more can help him shed. Avoid pulling off the skin. You can help with the process by scrubbing gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush right after misting.
Wow-that was so informative & the link is awesome!!
You answered alot of my questions & I truly appreciate it.
Thank you so so much!!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, don't question them.
They'll tell ya to hang your dragon if they were having a bad day...

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Please disregard the temp gauges as I have learned they are not good. Let me know what I need to change/correct please..ty!

Thank you so much!
I'm sorry about seymore. That is so sad!
It's the worst part about having & loving pets. I always say that I can't do it anymore, say no more pets but then I feel like a part of me is missing & eventually adopt another.
Just lost my 15 yr old Chihuahua (September) & just got weepy as I wrote that. Now I'm crying-
new pets help as you have something to do taking care of them but there is still always a void that can never be filled..
Thank you for taking the time to read & comment.
Yes, I still think about Seymore. My daughter and I still get teary eyed when we see the few pics we have of him. I'm with you on the sad part. A few years ago I lost my dog to old age. He was 15 too and my best bud. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Chihuahua. :( It's not easy.

Dex is filling the void somewhat and is such a joy! I think I'd cuddle him constantly if he'd let me. But he's more the independent let me down so I can explore type. hahaha

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You need to rearrange his basking spot so hes under the uvb and his heat lamp move it back a couple inches , How many hides does your tank have? Also bearded dragons love soft things (i know it’s weird) Get a wash cloth and rub it on your clean body this will get him to be more situated with you, put it in his hide for bedtime, Stress is something you want to avoid while hes so little , if you can get some newspapers and line the back wall this will help , bearded dragons dont like seeing their reflections, there’s multiple things you can buy as backgrounds to make your tank more natural if you dont want newspapers, i lined all three back walls in my tank , he’s already looking fat and happy though.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Didn’t mean to just post that _-_ The sand matt isn’t perfect the rocks do fall off and if you get one u need to make shure hes not eating the rocks(some beardies will literally eat anything while others are chill) , it can offer benefits of climbing and it will wear his sharp claws down(you dont want him to grow long nails) Anyway, there’s also. Corkbark tile background that are very cool i just bought one for my tokay gecko recently , I understand these things can be expensive and they get wear and tear but they’re ment to be used afterall

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
You need to rearrange his basking spot so hes under the uvb and his heat lamp move it back a couple inches , How many hides does your tank have? Also bearded dragons love soft things (i know it’s weird) Get a wash cloth and rub it on your clean body this will get him to be more situated with you, put it in his hide for bedtime, Stress is something you want to avoid while hes so little , if you can get some newspapers and line the back wall this will help , bearded dragons dont like seeing their reflections, there’s multiple things you can buy as backgrounds to make your tank more natural if you dont want newspapers, i lined all three back walls in my tank , he’s already looking fat and happy though.
I'm kinda waiting on a black background to come back in stock. I've heard people say they covered the sides but mine is always watching me through the sides, otherwise all her is going to see is ferrets in a tall cage across the room that sleep all the time & wouldn't be a very interesting view.
He has one hide but never used it. I have a fleece blanket on the end of the driftwood that he does sleep on. It's just kinda hidden along w/water dish in the pics.
I didn't plan on purchasing another hide since he has never even looked in it & he is going to outgrow but if you think he needs another?

Is 9" below the reptisun 10 bulb ok?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
9” is good, if he doesn’t use a hide thats fine, do have a dark area he can go to if he wants to take nap , I understand you want to see your beardy if you can atleast cover the backside ,!from the inside of the tank that should be okay :)

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I really hate to bother you with more questions but if I put one of his perches under the heat then it's not directly under the uvb. He has started going back to the original perch but that is under the uvb & not under the heat. Installed the probe & getting 10% humidity with 99 warmth in the original perch, 107 directly under the heat lamp & 82 on cooler end.
The nite temp was 89 with the ceramic emitter (150 watt) should I reduce wattage or just move it to one end of tank?
"I say perch (I have parrots) & not sure what it's called for a reptile?"

He is moving his arm & it's as if he is over there waving (he spies a cricket)-he is so stinking cute...

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Have you considered a 2in1 bulb? Uvb and heat in 1 bulb, i buy one thats like 30$ and it offers uvb and uva, i cant remember the brand and i dont have the packaging i bought it off amazon I believe , almost 90 at night is a little warm if you can bring it down to 75 that be perfect, my house gets down to 65 , you dont want his tank colder than that, try 100 watt, i dont offer a che(i live in Florida and its only cold for like 2 months and cold as in 40degrees lol nothing right?)

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I am definitely gonna look for the dual bulb Tonite! Haven't heard of that one!
I paid $35 for the emitter at the store then saw them cheaper (waaay cheaper) on Amazon so will look for that too.
Went on biodude site. He isn't shipping in the colder months either but I'm doing research on the roach colony. Probably go with your idea (bucket) now-do you have any "tricks" for getting the size you want out of the bucket. I'm not to keen on having any crawl on me.
I mean-I will for beardie baby & I said the same thing about reptiworms & now Im touching those. Crickets are nice because you don't touch-just tap container & they fall into a bag..lol
Do you/could you post a pic of inside your bucket-i kinda do better with pics. If you can, please post on dex's mom's site bcuz she is interested & has questions also.
Thank you if you do & Thank you for everything Else if you can't...