• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie owner from Atlanta!

Tyler Long

Bearded Dragon Egg
New beardie owner here from Atlanta! I have a few week old beardie named Reptar :D He/she (don't know the gender yet) is in a 40 gallon tank. I'm being a little parnoid of a parent so just have a few questions. He doesn't have to much of an appetite right now, maybe 3-4 crickets a day, and a very small thing of veggies. Is that normal? He is molting right now though so I've heard that could be the explanation.

Another thing, he does a weird twitching thing from time to time, I'll try to put a video of him doing it, just wondering if that's normal.

As far as tank set up goes, Basking spot temps are 95-110, warm spot is around 85/90 and the cool side is around 75. Humidity is a little high, ranging from 45-50 during the day and about 60 at night. Can't seem to get it to go down. I don't keep a water bowl in his tank either.

Any feedback would be awesome, excitied to dive into this new community!

Attachments

• 20171110_125544.jpg
    20171110_125544.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16

Tyler Long

Bearded Dragon Egg
New beardie owner here from Atlanta! I have a few week old beardie named Reptar :D He/she (don't know the gender yet) is in a 40 gallon tank. I'm being a little parnoid of a parent so just have a few questions. He doesn't have to much of an appetite right now, maybe 3-4 crickets a day, and a very small thing of veggies. Is that normal? He is molting right now though so I've heard that could be the explanation.

Another thing, he does a weird twitching thing from time to time, I'll try to put a video of him doing it, just wondering if that's normal.

As far as tank set up goes, Basking spot temps are 95-110, warm spot is around 85/90 and the cool side is around 75. Humidity is a little high, ranging from 45-50 during the day and about 60 at night. Can't seem to get it to go down. I don't keep a water bowl in his tank either.

Any feedback would be awesome, excitied to dive into this new community!
"Update" he's eating a lot more, I think it might of been the stress of moving into a new tank. And I think he's just freaked out from his reflection a bit haha XD

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Your temps and humidity sound fine. They do go through some relocation stress and not eat for a few days to a few weeks while they settle in.

I couldn't tell about the twitching, looked just a little jumpy which babies are. If there is twitching, you want to make sure you are using your calcium supplements properly and you should have a vet check done to rule out any other illnesses.

Arm waving is a sign of submission. One of my girls used to do it to her own reflection, now she does it when she sees the boy. Just their way of letting the other dragon know she knows who the boss is!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think thats just arm waving rather than twitching, its just him saying "I see you, and you are bigger than me, I submit"
If it was twitching, it would possibly be something to worry about as it can be a sign of impaction as the blockage puts pressure on the spine. My dragons havent waved at me in the longest time, they obviously no longer see me as a threat. Hes a cute dragon btw