• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie not eating enough

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
I brought home my beardie on Saturday (this is my first beardie). He is about 8 inches long.

He didn't eat with me on Saturday (I brought him home around 4, I'm sure he ate at PetSmart earlier in the day), on Sunday (yesterday) I tried to feed him crickets multiple times, he ate maybe 3 total in the whole day. I got him some mealworms to see if he'd eat those and he ate 6-7 last night around 8. He also ate a few small pieces of squash. So total he ate yesterday: a few crickets, 6-7 mealworms, few tiny pieces of squash.

Today, I again kept trying to feed him. Total he ate today: 1 cricket and 2 mealworms.

He seems to have an appetite because sometimes he looks at the worms/crickets, even licks them if I put them in front of him with tweezers, but then doesn't care most of the time.

He is active and seems completely normal other than that. Last time he pooped was yesterday (it was normal). I know that he would take some time to adjust because of the new environment and home, but is it normal for them to not even want to eat that much during this adjustment period? I just know he should be eating WAY more than that, especially as a juvenile, and I'm worried.

Can someone tell me if this is normal for a new beardie who has only been in his home for a couple days?

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
Every beardie is different, some adapt right away, some can take a few weeks. As long as your basking temps are good and lighting (UVB) correct I would not worry about it yet.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The relocation stress varies from dragon to dragon but can last a couple of weeks. Just keep offering bugs and greens. Mealworms are very hard for them to digest as they contain alot of chitlin in their exoskeleton causing impaction. I would offer dubia, silkworms, BSFL, superworms (not as a staple:high in fat) butterworms and waxworms can be offered only as a treat item.

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
The relocation stress varies from dragon to dragon but can last a couple of weeks. Just keep offering bugs and greens. Mealworms are very hard for them to digest as they contain alot of chitlin in their exoskeleton causing impaction. I would offer dubia, silkworms, BSFL, superworms (not as a staple:high in fat) butterworms and waxworms can be offered only as a treat item.
Thank you! Today he ate 20 medium crickets in the morning and 10 large at night, and veggies in between. Where can I get dubia roaches and what size? And I saw superworms at PetSmart today - they look like mealworms but much bigger, is that what you're talking about?

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Every beardie is different, some adapt right away, some can take a few weeks. As long as your basking temps are good and lighting (UVB) correct I would not worry about it yet.
Thank you! Today he ate 20 medium crickets in the morning and 10 large at night, and veggies in between. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad he's eating for you! Yes super worms look like fatter versions of mealworms. Just don't feed to many because they are high in fat. As far as the dubia go, you could start with small ones and see how he does with those.