• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Mommy <3

emberlove

Bearded Dragon Egg
My boyfriend and I adopted a bearded dragon from a friend, and we are obsessed! We had been planning the adoption for a few weeks and are so excited to have her home! They told us that she was a girl and her name is Ember. I know you can't sex them until they are a bit older but she looks so little for being about 7 months from what they told us. Does anyone know about how old she looks? I can't wait to watch her grow! All of your pictures make me look forward to being a beardie mommy for life <3 :)

Attachments

• 527609_10150886378897950_150087683_n.jpg
    527609_10150886378897950_150087683_n.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 601166_10150886179837950_16578718_n.jpg
    601166_10150886179837950_16578718_n.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 41

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on your new beardie baby. She's so cute. There is a way for you to tell the sex of a dragon.
bearded-dragon-sexing.jpg

A male will have two bumps on the underside of his tail while a female will have a triangular shape at the underside- base of her tail. Welcome to the forum.

emberlove

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I've done a lot of research about sexing my dragon but most articles say that it is easier to tell when they are older. I don't think she is 7 months because she is so tiny! I'm going to love her whether she is a boy or girl ;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I got Allie, they told me she was a girl. Then researching so many sites and according the vet, they all said she was a male. Well, just recently, I sexed Allie as a girl. People who see her say she's big for her age. So far, she's 15 inches and still growing. I got her when she was thirteen inches and sick.

emberlove

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is a 10 gallon I believe. I don't have a lot in there, just a few pieces and a hiding spot. I was told to keep it simple. It is the same enclosure that our friends had her in!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A 10 Gal is too small, it does not allow for the proper heat gradient required. Are you providing a UVB bulb? Taking the temperature with those type of thermometers mounted on the back walls do not give you accurate temps or in the right places that they should be measured from.

There are many threads about 10 gal enclosures if you search, some with very unfortunate & sad endings because it wasn't corrected in time.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BDF! I hope Ember loves her new Mommy :). She is a beauty, do you know how long she is from tip of nose to tip of tail? That would give us a better idea of how to even "guess" at the age.
It is a 10 gallon I believe. I don't have a lot in there, just a few pieces and a hiding spot. I was told to keep it simple. It is the same enclosure that our friends had her in!
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you need a minimum of a 20 gallon Long tank for a BD baby, and will need a 40 breeder size as she grows, many find it easier just to start out with the larger size and not spend the money on the extra tank. You can't get the proper heat gradient in a 10 gallon that is required for proper growth, natural digestion, and simply if they get too hot they have no where to go to cool off. Please upgrade ASAP! Ember is so lovely, I'd hate to see her health deteriorate.

emberlove

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am planning on upgrading tonight, I understand that it isn't that big and she needs a better home. I will post a picture of her new aquarium soon! She is about 7 inches long from nose to tip of tail. Thanks for all the help!

emberlove

Bearded Dragon Egg
I mis-spoke! It is a 20 gallon tank! I am usually very close to her in the pictures, so that's why it looks so small. PHEW! I'm glad I cleared that up! Just got done speaking to the previous owner :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You haven't answered if you are providing, or it has previously been provided with a UVB bulb or not ...

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I am planning on upgrading tonight, I understand that it isn't that big and she needs a better home. I will post a picture of her new aquarium soon! She is about 7 inches long from nose to tip of tail. Thanks for all the help!
You're welcome! Sorry, we must have been typing at the same time, didn't mean to tag team you :).
Oh, goodness, she's tiny! I have a 2 month old that's 8", so I wouldn't know what to tell you. She definitely has not been growing like she should be. Can you let us know some things so we can help you figure out why? Maybe you won't have to make more than one trip to the pet store. Can you find out what the temp is on the basking spot? Put one of those thermometers directly under the heat lamp and leave it for about a half hour or so. Are you using a UVB bulb, or just UVA? You can look at the bulbs you have, they're probably ones your friend gave you, and find out what the wattage is, whether it's UVA or UVB, and if it's a 10.0 or 5.0 UVB bulb. What is the temp on the cool side? Is she getting weekly baths, and how much is she eating, greens and protein, and what type of protein? Anything else you can think of?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is the purple one correct? I have both lights. I will post everything that I have in a few minutes. At work right now :)
And thank you, by the way! I know you want to give Ember the best possible care, we just want to help you get there if everything is not where it should be, because she should be growing more... quite a bit more at this stage and it's important in this stage in their development that they are able to grow like babies should or they could be stunted for life.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A UVB bulb is of a Fluorescent type Bulb, either coil or tube & are white in colour. Sounds like it has never been provided with one :(. This has to be rectified asap.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard. Agreed regarding UVB bulb. You can get a cheap fixture at places like Home Depot and Lowes. The bulbs are at shops like Petco and Petsmart...