• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie coming soon, UV questions

Mushu321

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I am about to purchase my beardie in the next few weeks, will be my first one! I've done a ton of research, gathered everything I'll need for him and got the terrarium all set up. The only thing I seemed to have messed up on, is that I bought a Reptisun 10.0 UVB Compact. I knew I needed a reptisun 10.0 but I didn't realize the huge difference with the tubes vs. the compacts. So now I am obviously going to buy another, but I really want to save money where I can, without impacting his health of course. So the three things it seems most people recommend are the Reptisun 10.0 T5, T8, or the Mercury bulbs. IF the mercury bulbs are just as good, that seems like the cheapest option for me. So I guess my question is, which one do I get?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have no experience with the MVB bulbs. The tube bulbs span a greater area of the tank so they provide the most UVB coverage. The T5 can be put on the mesh top of the tank and still provide great coverage deep into the tank.

If you haven't already ordered the everything on Amazon, I would look around at other places that might still have cyber sales. Reptile Basics and Pet Mountain were having some good sales.