• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bearded Dragon Won't Eat or Drink

Nejthebrde

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got my bearded dragon and he wont eat or drink. I have food provided but he doesn't see interested. i I offer him crickets but he just lets them walk all over him. Is this a normal thing?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
They do take some time to adjust to their new surroundings. Make sure the crickets are no longer than the space between the beardie's eyes, and that they're not left in with him overnight.

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is not normal --- relocation stress is normal but to not eat entirely is not- how old is the dragon? Need to know basking temps and how your taking them --- what kind of UVB your using brand and bulb please? Lighting and temps are key to your dragon eating digestion and the health of your dragon--- please post a pic of tank and lighting
I’m also having a similar problem So I just rescued a bearded dragon a few days ago I brought him home and the rest of that night I let him chill in his new enclosure just to get used to it and feel safe. So the next day I get up and he’s still in the same spot I figured maybe he’s just nervous so I turn on his basking bulb and continue about my day he has a salad in the cage he didn’t eat however he ate about 4 medium crickets and was done. Went back to basking in the same spot and he sleeps a lot I’ve handled him quite a few times now he actually kinda likes it he cuddles up in your hand and goes to sleep. But the last two days he hasn’t eaten any salad or crickets someone had asked me what my basking spot was so I measured it it was at 90 even though this is my first bearded dragon I knew that was too low so I took back that bulb they recommended and bought a better one, the basking spot is about 100-105 now. I’m using a exo terra intense basking spot 100w heat bulb and a reptisun 10.0 uvb. What do I do to help this guy we also do not have any vets remotely close to me that will see a reptile so I really dont know what to do I don’t want him to die in my care and I don’t want to just take him back and let him die alone and miserable. Any help and advice is appreciated

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok thank you I will go and replace his uvb bulb and fixture in a few hours when I get off work. As far as how old he is I’m not sure I’ve only had him about 4 days I’m assuming he’s about 1 maybe 2 months old. I am still offering crickets and veggies everyday he had eaten some of the crickets on the second day I had him, but stopped after that and he never ate any of the salad. I also do know that crickets aren’t the best so I’m looking at ordering Dubia Roaches online because no one in my area sales dubias. I do also make sure to give calcium+D3 every time I feed even gut load his crickets with things high in calcium along with the powder I put on them

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get rid of it ---- its not good --- you want this for your dragon ---
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please replace ASAP--- get that fixed and you will notice a difference in behavior -- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Please let me know what you switch the UVB out to -- the bulb -- as you notice there are different distances for those bulbs to be in tank --- if you go w/ the strong bulb the T 5 it can sit on top of screen -- that is why I I said about bulbs-- get your lighting fixed -- and the basking temps as well they play a huge roll in digestion - right now hes probably going thru relocation stress so the eating is going to be off for a few days maybe a week -- just keep offering vegies every day and crickets or dubia roaches --- you didnt say how old the dragon is --------------- if its still young like a juvenile he need bugs every day --- if he is older than a year 2-3 times per week - dusted w/ calcium D3 and give vitamins 2 x per week --- if hes a good eater w/ a variety of vegies he wont need the vitamins so much but that calcium I would give especially if hes come from improper care ------------------
Ok thank you I will go and replace his uvb bulb and fixture in a few hours when I get off work. As far as how old he is I’m not sure I’ve only had him about 4 days I’m assuming he’s about 1 maybe 2 months old. I am still offering crickets and veggies everyday he had eaten some of the crickets on the second day I had him, but stopped after that and he never ate any of the salad. I also do know that crickets aren’t the best so I’m looking at ordering Dubia Roaches online because no one in my area sales dubias. I do also make sure to give calcium+D3 every time I feed even gut load his crickets with things high in calcium along with the powder I put on them

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so here is some tips on getting him to eat vegies--- get a glass bowl one he will be able to get into - Feed vegies FIRST - get some small super worms if you can find them and you will haft to order these on line BSFL -- here is a website offers free shipping www.abdragons.com or you can order from here
www.https://symtonbsf.com/ take 6-8 of those BSFl and the small super worms put on top of salad do this in front of him so he sees the movement- BSFL are full of calcium and are often used as a staple feeder- let him eat those up and he will get vegies too - after about 45 minute or so feed him his insects- you can order those on line too from the abdragons place or www.dubiaroaches.com they charge shipping - they are fast and good tho - there are other places too like amazon for suppliers - hes gonna go thru relocation stress so hes eating is not gonna be as good - when he gets over that hes gonna start to eat alot- crickets will be fine till you switch him over to the dubias - I would plan on getting a 10 gallon tank for those dubias - right now I am keeping the small dubias in the original container they came in cuz they are the small like 5/8 inch I think I have the larger dubias for my older dragon in the 10 gallon tank--- - and my baby is around 9 weeks old and eating like 24 / day- I am feeding him breakfast and lunch around 2-3 o clock -- dusting them every feeding w/ the D3 and vitamins 2 x per week - I use the Reptivite it has beta carotene and not a synthetic Vit A--- I do not feed my dragons carrots as I feed the roaches carrots for hydration and dubia food - so they are getting the vit a thru the feeder -- basking temps for the baby should be around 105-110--- they like it warmer--- make sure your getting actual basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer or a infrared heat gun --- both of which I recommend -- the heat gun you can get at Home Depot or Lowes for around $10-12 and the probe for around $5 at Pet Smart or Petco-- nutrition website
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I am measuring the temps with a infrared laser temp gun I also just replaced his uvb with a reptisun T8 20 inch hood and have a reptisun 10.0 uvb TUBE light I took back the coil one.

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good where in the tank is the T 8? did you mount it inside w/ cover off the bulb needs to exposed for better UVB and is it 6-8 inches from basking spot---?
I have it about 6 inches from the basking spot but it is on the outside of the screen both the light fixture and bulb box said that a bigger mesh won’t affect it but the smaller mesh will I looked it up and most seem to agree that as long as it’s a bigger mesh it will be fine. Is it not?

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good where in the tank is the T 8? did you mount it inside w/ cover off the bulb needs to exposed for better UVB and is it 6-8 inches from basking spot---?
So I offered him some more food today and for the last three days anytime he’s offered food he just closes his eyes and let’s it crawl on him starting to get pretty worried

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to get that inside the tank --- what size tank do you have ? Is he getting weak ? Dont leave crickets in the tank --------------- are they small crickets -- they need to be no bigger than between the eyes for size --- it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking ---- and his basking temps 105-110--- the T 8 is not a strong enough bulb to sit on top --- here are some ideas to get it inside the tank if its a 40 gallon or bigger
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-C...:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297-- here is a example of how someone hung theirs --- let me know how hes doing after you make these changes --- keep offering him food but do not leave crickets in the tank --- they bite and can cause infection
Ok I’m going to have to get a bigger tank sooner than I thought then I only have a 20 rn:/

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
You will need a clamp for the basking light to clamp on side of tank--- make sure you have a digital probe or infrared heat gun to get a actual basking temp-- those small tanks heat up quick so watch the temp you don't want to burn him up
Oh ok I didn’t really think about that I kinda thought they might jump or something

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
He can just don't put decor high enough or you can set screen part way over tank leaving only the UVB and basking light area open
Ok I’ve moved the screen over and placed the uvb along the top with no screen. Yes he’s on two chairs as a stand right now getting an actual stand built tho.

Attachments

• 98DB4858-C1A4-4F75-8151-F2E57F594E16.jpeg
    98DB4858-C1A4-4F75-8151-F2E57F594E16.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 30

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so watch his behavior and hopefully he will start to eat-- what is basking temp? And how are you taking it?
Well right now it’s only at 95 but I just turned the light back on from where I was moving all the stuff around but it has normally stayed about 105 I’m measuring it using a infrared laser thermometer I’ll measure again in a few minutes to get a more accurate reading sense the light just got turned back on

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok keep an eye on it-- we don't want him to burn up-
It’s been a few sense I turned the light back on temps are at about 104. I’m not for certain but I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that he’s doing better he seems to be watching me more and moving his head a little more and keeping his eyes open more gonna keep my fingers crossed that everything is helping!!

Babyduck100

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good relocation stress will hinder his eating but as he gets used to you and tank he should start to eat more- I would offer him some bfsl on his salad to entice him to bowl-- if you can get small super worms add like 3 on top of salad- let him see you do this feed salad first to get him started on vegies
Just wanted to give an update he’s been eating pretty good still trying to get him to eat veggies were getting there tho. He also went into shed which I was pretty excited to see. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Daniel Zhang

Bearded Dragon Egg
he's probably just stressed. when they get into a new environment they get stressed and won't eat or drink for a few days. he'll get better though.

Jahmez

Bearded Dragon Egg
In my experience this is normal. When I first got my baby dragon and he did the same thing, not eating, closed his eyes, etc. for almost six days I was going crazy. I’ve seen some people online say theirs did not eat for almost two weeks when they first got them. Keep offering, make sure your tank setup is ok, and don’t freak out yet.