• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon with no appetite. Is my set up sufficient??

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, Im new to the site and kind of a novice when it comes to owning bearded dragons. I recently got a 2 1/2 month old dragon from morph market. It shipped from CA to WA state. He is 100% alert and healthy looking and drinks water when I offer it through a syringe or spray but I have had him now for about 5 days and he wont eat anything. I have been offereing him baby arugula for his greens and I have tried baby dubia roaches as well as baby crickets.

Im wondering if he is still getting acclimated to his new enclosure OR if the enclosure set up is incorrect. I have attached pics of the set-up along with the UVB bulb I am using.

I have a temp gun and a temp guage in the tank. His hot spot is 105 -110 and his cool area is around 78 - 82 during the day. At night the cool area drops to around 74 and the warm area stays around 80 (uth).

I may be over reacting but I just want to make sure that everything is good for this little guy and that im providing the best enclosure I can.

Is there any advice you guys can give me to get him eating? Or do I just have to wait a bit longer for him to get settled in?

Any info is appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20220926_205405898.jpg
    PXL_20220926_205405898.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20220926_205433518.jpg
    PXL_20220926_205433518.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 26

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, Im new to the site and kind of a novice when it comes to owning bearded dragons. I recently got a 2 1/2 month old dragon from morph market. It shipped from CA to WA state. He is 100% alert and healthy looking and drinks water when I offer it through a syringe or spray but I have had him now for about 5 days and he wont eat anything. I have been offereing him baby arugula for his greens and I have tried baby dubia roaches as well as baby crickets.

Im wondering if he is still getting acclimated to his new enclosure OR if the enclosure set up is incorrect. I have attached pics of the set-up along with the UVB bulb I am using.

I have a temp gun and a temp guage in the tank. His hot spot is 105 -110 and his cool area is around 78 - 82 during the day. At night the cool area drops to around 74 and the warm area stays around 80 (uth).

I may be over reacting but I just want to make sure that everything is good for this little guy and that im providing the best enclosure I can.

Is there any advice you guys can give me to get him eating? Or do I just have to wait a bit longer for him to get settled in?

Any info is appreciated!
Ok pretty much you have it going good but the 5.0 UVB needs to be changed to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 - I am assuming the fixture has a reflector in it? The screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole type - this will determine where the fixture needs to go --- as of this moment hes not getting any UVB the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and its on top of the screen which is blocking 30% of the rays- when you get it changed out and tell me the screen thats on the tank I can help you get it placed to where it should be -- the surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate -- temp guns are good but often cannot read or give false readings depending on the material of the basking decor -- please get 2 digital probe thermometers --- he will go thru relocation stress and his eating will be off but he should be eating something-- once you get the correct UVB and surface basking temps watch his behavior --- please let me know when you get this changed out for your UVB so I can help you
Also what kind of substrate is in the tank?

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok pretty much you have it going good but the 5.0 UVB needs to be changed to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 - I am assuming the fixture has a reflector in it? The screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole type - this will determine where the fixture needs to go --- as of this moment hes not getting any UVB the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and its on top of the screen which is blocking 30% of the rays- when you get it changed out and tell me the screen thats on the tank I can help you get it placed to where it should be -- the surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate -- temp guns are good but often cannot read or give false readings depending on the material of the basking decor -- please get 2 digital probe thermometers --- he will go thru relocation stress and his eating will be off but he should be eating something-- once you get the correct UVB and surface basking temps watch his behavior --- please let me know when you get this changed out for your UVB so I can help you
Also what kind of substrate is in the tank?
Ok so should I buy a whole new light fixture and bulb or just replace the bulb in this fixture? I have moved the fixture to the inside of his cage temporarily just so he can soak up a bit more uvb for the next day until I get the new light.

As far as the digital probe thermometer goes I already have one in the tank on the hot spot. I can get another when I grab the light tomorrow for the cooler side. currently my digital probe directly in the hot spot of the tank reads 111F.

I have included pics of the mesh lid and the "bioactive substrate".

Thank you so much for the help!

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_002342429.jpg
    PXL_20220927_002342429.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220927_001014768.jpg
    PXL_20220927_001014768.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 19

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so should I buy a whole new light fixture and bulb or just replace the bulb in this fixture? I have moved the fixture to the inside of his cage temporarily just so he can soak up a bit more uvb for the next day until I get the new light.

As far as the digital probe thermometer goes I already have one in the tank on the hot spot. I can get another when I grab the light tomorrow for the cooler side. currently my digital probe directly in the hot spot of the tank reads 111F.

I have included pics of the mesh lid and the "bioactive substrate".

Thank you so much for the help!
Does the uvb fixture have a reflector? The uvb will be able to sit on top w/ the reptisun 10.0 T 5 - the substrate is loose and can cause impaction- do you feed him in the tank?

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does the uvb fixture have a reflector? The uvb will be able to sit on top w/ the reptisun 10.0 T 5 - the substrate is loose and can cause impaction- do you feed him in the tank?
Yes the fixture does have a reflector (its a cheap piece of silver/reflective paper...but its a reflector lol)

I have 2 small glass dishes that I have been trying to feed him on. One for bugs and one for greens.

I have tried feeding him outside the cage at least once a day every day since ive had him with no luck though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes the fixture does have a reflector (its a cheap piece of silver/reflective paper...but its a reflector lol)

I have 2 small glass dishes that I have been trying to feed him on. One for bugs and one for greens.

I have tried feeding him outside the cage at least once a day every day since ive had him with no luck though.
You might want to invest in a better UVB fixture / hood--- A Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- try looking at Pet Smart for the Arcadia they have been carrying them - the Zoo Med you can find at petmountain.com -- I would really watch him on that loose substrate for feeding --- babies are really careless and lick everything - I would not want him to get impacted w/ the substrate --- we often dont recommend any type of loose substrate when babies-- I would get a piece of tile place those food dishes on the tile -- what are you feeding for insects? hes going to chase them and possible ingest some of that loose stuff - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for the tank --- insects cant get underneath and its easy to clean -- loose stuff harbors bacteria as well --- its up to you but those are just a suggestion

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
You might want to invest in a better UVB fixture / hood--- A Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- try looking at Pet Smart for the Arcadia they have been carrying them - the Zoo Med you can find at petmountain.com -- I would really watch him on that loose substrate for feeding --- babies are really careless and lick everything - I would not want him to get impacted w/ the substrate --- we often dont recommend any type of loose substrate when babies-- I would get a piece of tile place those food dishes on the tile -- what are you feeding for insects? hes going to chase them and possible ingest some of that loose stuff - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for the tank --- insects cant get underneath and its easy to clean -- loose stuff harbors bacteria as well --- its up to you but those are just a suggestion
Ok, so if I completely redo his enclosure right now and take that substrate out it wont stress him out more? If you think its a good idea ill redo the whole thing today. I gotta get this guy eating...
Im headed to the pet shop to see what i can get as far as new lighting. I have 3 pets stores within 15 min of me so ims ure one of them will have what im looking for.

Im feeding baby dubia roaches and baby crickets. Just tried feeding him again (outside the cage) with no luck. So Im gonna grab some meal worms when im picking up the light.

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
So none of the 3 pet stores in my area have that light (total bummer). So Im gonna have to order it online.

Until that light gets here im gonna rig the light i currently have to the inside of the enclosre...just so he gets as much uvb as possible.

Until the new light arrives do you have any other suggestions to get him to eat? Or do you think the light is the reason why he isnt eating?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, so if I completely redo his enclosure right now and take that substrate out it wont stress him out more? If you think its a good idea ill redo the whole thing today. I gotta get this guy eating...
Im headed to the pet shop to see what i can get as far as new lighting. I have 3 pets stores within 15 min of me so ims ure one of them will have what im looking for.

Im feeding baby dubia roaches and baby crickets. Just tried feeding him again (outside the cage) with no luck. So Im gonna grab some meal worms when im picking up the light.
NO meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs---- get some BSFL/ phoenix worms/ calci worms/ or nutri grubs all the same thing --- use those as lures to the salad bowl add them to the tops of his salads in front of him first feeding of the day ---- do not dust those --- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder -- you will need a bowl similar to this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
But first in for most we need to get the lighting corrected and surface basking temps on par for him to start eating --- you can take him outside in a plastic tote - 15-30 minutes outside will give him the UVB he needs --- DO NOT leave him -- if its real hot where you are watch him you do not want to burn him up ---- NO GLASS containers please --

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I ordered the arcadia light u suggested. I have been mixing baby dubia roaches in with baby arugula in this dish (pic attached).

How long can a baby bearded dragon go without eating? I cant help but think this guy has to be starving at this point and he just stares at the dubias, crickets, and greens and doesnt seem interested at all.

I also have some baby horn worms on order from dubia.com they should be here in the next day or 2. I did not get the meal worms per your suggestion.

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_173251127.jpg
    PXL_20220927_173251127.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I ordered the arcadia light u suggested. I have been mixing baby dubia roaches in with baby arugula in this dish (pic attached).

How long can a baby bearded dragon go without eating? I cant help but think this guy has to be starving at this point and he just stares at the dubias, crickets, and greens and doesnt seem interested at all.

I also have some baby horn worms on order from dubia.com they should be here in the next day or 2. I did not get the meal worms per your suggestion.
Please keep him hydrated -- take your greens and some dubia roaches - turn them into a slurry -- make it soupy w/ water -- add a pinch of calcium / a drop of honey- see if he will lick off the spoon first if not feed him thru the syringe --- GO SLOW- let him swallow what you put in - we need him w/ some food in him --- getting him outside like I suggested -- thats going to help him and maybe entice him to eat -- he needs that UVB --- new surroundings new tank etc will effect the appetite but he should be eating something -- even a little so w/ out the proper UVB this is probably a good reason hes not eating --- so the outside direct sunlight is going to help w/ that --

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please keep him hydrated -- take your greens and some dubia roaches - turn them into a slurry -- make it soupy w/ water -- add a pinch of calcium / a drop of honey- see if he will lick off the spoon first if not feed him thru the syringe --- GO SLOW- let him swallow what you put in - we need him w/ some food in him --- getting him outside like I suggested -- thats going to help him and maybe entice him to eat -- he needs that UVB --- new surroundings new tank etc will effect the appetite but he should be eating something -- even a little so w/ out the proper UVB this is probably a good reason hes not eating --- so the outside direct sunlight is going to help w/ that --
Ok so I just hung out with him outside for 30+ min. in direct sunlight. Im in WA state and its like 75F. He seemed totally comfortable the entire time.

I have been lightly misting him in the face and giving him water through a little syringe since I got him and he is visibly drinking every day. So I know he is hydrated.

I did see that dandelion greens are really good for them too and I know for a fact the dandelions in my backyard havent had pesticides or weed killer sprayed on them in at least 4 years. Should I try offering him some dandelions?

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also...I appreciate all your help. Im sure Jasper (what we named him :) ) is just being a stubborn lil brat. I will get him eating if its the last thing I do!

Seriously tho...thank you for taking the time to help myself and so many other people out on this site. You are awesome.

Stigma

Bearded Dragon Egg
So a couple other things I wanted to mention...

This is the light fixture I currently have:

I read the reviews on it and people are saying that the clear plastic cover over the bulb on the fixture blocks the UVB rays. So I removed that plastic cover and mounted the fixture to the inside of his enclosure. Im hoping that this will atleast provide him with a bit better uvb until that new light arrives. It definitely shines WAY more light into the enclosure than it did before and I notice him actually positioning himself underneath it, whereas he did not do that before. (pic attached...hard to get a pic trhat shows it clearly.. but i hope u get the idea)

I am also noticing that a lot of bearded dragon enclosures I am seeing online are much more simple than what I have set up here. Is it possible that i have too much stuff going on in the enclosure? Should I remove some of the sticks and plants? or is it fine to have a lot going on in there?

I will also be replacing the substrate. I was thinking I should wait until he gets more settled though so i dont stress him out too much.

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_190920393.jpg
    PXL_20220927_190920393.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 20

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So a couple other things I wanted to mention...

This is the light fixture I currently have:

I read the reviews on it and people are saying that the clear plastic cover over the bulb on the fixture blocks the UVB rays. So I removed that plastic cover and mounted the fixture to the inside of his enclosure. Im hoping that this will atleast provide him with a bit better uvb until that new light arrives. It definitely shines WAY more light into the enclosure than it did before and I notice him actually positioning himself underneath it, whereas he did not do that before. (pic attached...hard to get a pic trhat shows it clearly.. but i hope u get the idea)

I am also noticing that a lot of bearded dragon enclosures I am seeing online are much more simple than what I have set up here. Is it possible that i have too much stuff going on in the enclosure? Should I remove some of the sticks and plants? or is it fine to have a lot going on in there?

I will also be replacing the substrate. I was thinking I should wait until he gets more settled though so i dont stress him out too much.
I would get rid of the huge water bowl - most dragons do not drink from bowls- they get most of their hydration from the salads - rinse the greens before serving- and yes its good for them to have floor space - and I didnt realize there was a plastic cover over your UVB bulb and its good you took it off -- w/ it being unobstructed and the cover off he will be fine till the new one comes in --- behavior change already :) now lets watch the appetite ---

Latest posts