• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New BD mommy help

JudesdragonK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got my BD 4 days ago. He’s 2 months. In terms of night lighting what do you all do? I’ve been turning off the basking light (20watt 5.0 uvb sun glow coil lantern) and using an infrared heat bulb at night. Is that the correct proceedure? Also having a lot of trouble with him eating anything other than bugs. He won’t touch vegetables or fruits. I’ve tried collard /dandelion greens, bok Choy. how often did you take your bd out to hold in the beginning? Should I not be doing that too much? Sorry for so many q

Attachments

• 941D2041-BD2C-4166-8F54-BACA9D571579.jpeg
    941D2041-BD2C-4166-8F54-BACA9D571579.jpeg
    714.5 KB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just got my BD 4 days ago. He’s 2 months. In terms of night lighting what do you all do? I’ve been turning off the basking light (20watt 5.0 uvb sun glow coil lantern) and using an infrared heat bulb at night. Is that the correct proceedure? Also having a lot of trouble with him eating anything other than bugs. He won’t touch vegetables or fruits. I’ve tried collard /dandelion greens, bok Choy. how often did you take your bd out to hold in the beginning? Should I not be doing that too much? Sorry for so many q
Welcome to the forum-- please No lights on at nite dragons like it cool and dark - nite time temps should be 65-75 if you need extra heat at nite get a che ceramic heat emitter--- a stick on dial is ok for ambient basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate place probe on his basking spot for at least 10 minutes get temp they should be 105-110 No hotter-- basking bulb should be a bright white basking bulb - No off white or yellowish- next importantly is the UVB- NO Coils-- you need a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med sunblaster or Arcadia for a 40+ gallon tank--- a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--- if your using a 20 gallon tank a Zoo Med fixture comes w/ a 5.0 which would be perfect for your 20 gallon the T 5 bulb would go into your bigger bulb--- I can help w/ feeding but you MUST have your basking temps and UVB up par- when you get your UVB please post back on here and I will help get it set up the two bulbs the 5.0 should you use that one and the 10.0 have certain placement and distance requirements-- he will quit eating all together if these things are not correct

JudesdragonK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum-- please No lights on at nite dragons like it cool and dark - nite time temps should be 65-75 if you need extra heat at nite get a che ceramic heat emitter--- a stick on dial is ok for ambient basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate place probe on his basking spot for at least 10 minutes get temp they should be 105-110 No hotter-- basking bulb should be a bright white basking bulb - No off white or yellowish- next importantly is the UVB- NO Coils-- you need a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med sunblaster or Arcadia for a 40+ gallon tank--- a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--- if your using a 20 gallon tank a Zoo Med fixture comes w/ a 5.0 which would be perfect for your 20 gallon the T 5 bulb would go into your bigger bulb--- I can help w/ feeding but you MUST have your basking temps and UVB up par- when you get your UVB please post back on here and I will help get it set up the two bulbs the 5.0 should you use that one and the 10.0 have certain placement and distance requirements-- he will quit eating all together if these things are not correct
Hey thanks for the quick reply. He’s in a 40 gallon tank. This is what I was told to get for him. It’s on a stand and is 16” from the basking spot.

Attachments

• DC9E5ADC-74E8-4C9C-B4F5-642CBED9AFF2.jpeg
    DC9E5ADC-74E8-4C9C-B4F5-642CBED9AFF2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey thanks for the quick reply. He’s in a 40 gallon tank. This is what I was told to get for him. It’s on a stand and is 16” from the basking spot.
Not familiar w/ this one at all but its only a 5.0 UVB and its a COIL - so I say ditch this and get this -- coils are NO good you need this for your baby -- at this point your dragon is getting NO UVB w/ it being that high up and I am at a loss for words on this one just please get rid of it
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood 24" fixture it comes w. a 5.0 bulb hang on to it -- it can be used as a back up BUT distance and placement is different from the one you need which is this a 22" bulb https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs
you need this for basking or something similar but it needs to be solid bright white basking bulb I would start w/ a 100 watt for the tank https://www.petmountain.com/product/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-lamp?variant=8233
Make sure your dome is a reflective dome that can handle the wattage -- you will also need a digital probe thermometer to get the correct basking temps like this https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums I would get two of these one for your basking side and one for the cool side -- you need 3 temps in the tank basking side 105-110 place the probe where the dragon sits for basking and then wait 10 minutes or so and get the temp ----- middle of the tank 90's you can use a regular house hold bulb like 60 watt NO LED's watch the temp place the dome in the center of the tank top of screen and cool side 80's -- ambient temps at nite NO lights 65-75 --- you can place a stickon the the back wall and it will read ambient temps --
The basking temps and the UVB are the two most IMPORTANT THINGS in the tank -- they control the over all health and behavior of your dragon --- please get this fixed ASAP -- your dragon will stop eating all together if he does not have this correct --- he will go thru relocation stress but he should keep eating something if even a little -- if he stops all together there is a problem -- you want him to keep eating so please get this stuff I posted for you --- when you get the UVB please let me know it needs to have proper placement and distance for it to be effective and beneficial to him

JudesdragonK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not familiar w/ this one at all but its only a 5.0 UVB and its a COIL - so I say ditch this and get this -- coils are NO good you need this for your baby -- at this point your dragon is getting NO UVB w/ it being that high up and I am at a loss for words on this one just please get rid of it
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood 24" fixture it comes w. a 5.0 bulb hang on to it -- it can be used as a back up BUT distance and placement is different from the one you need which is this a 22" bulb https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs
you need this for basking or something similar but it needs to be solid bright white basking bulb I would start w/ a 100 watt for the tank https://www.petmountain.com/product/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-lamp?variant=8233
Make sure your dome is a reflective dome that can handle the wattage -- you will also need a digital probe thermometer to get the correct basking temps like this https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums I would get two of these one for your basking side and one for the cool side -- you need 3 temps in the tank basking side 105-110 place the probe where the dragon sits for basking and then wait 10 minutes or so and get the temp ----- middle of the tank 90's you can use a regular house hold bulb like 60 watt NO LED's watch the temp place the dome in the center of the tank top of screen and cool side 80's -- ambient temps at nite NO lights 65-75 --- you can place a stickon the the back wall and it will read ambient temps --
The basking temps and the UVB are the two most IMPORTANT THINGS in the tank -- they control the over all health and behavior of your dragon --- please get this fixed ASAP -- your dragon will stop eating all together if he does not have this correct --- he will go thru relocation stress but he should keep eating something if even a little -- if he stops all together there is a problem -- you want him to keep eating so please get this stuff I posted for you --- when you get the UVB please let me know it needs to have proper placement and distance for it to be effective and beneficial to him
Great thank you sm. Ordering all of that now!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great thank you sm. Ordering all of that now!!!
Ok good when you get the UVB please let me know I will help you get it placed in the tank - what type of screen is on the tank -- a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
fine mesh
Ok so its going to need to go inside the tank --- I am going to post some things to hang it w/ when you get it
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties--fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers- or this stuff from Home Depot -- I use this in my tanks it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
You want the UVB approx 12-15 inches directly above a piece of basking decor - he needs to be able to sit directly under it -- if you have any more questions please ask

JudesdragonK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so its going to need to go inside the tank --- I am going to post some things to hang it w/ when you get it
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties--fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers- or this stuff from Home Depot -- I use this in my tanks it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
You want the UVB approx 12-15 inches directly above a piece of basking decor - he needs to be able to sit directly under it -- if you have any more questions please ask
OK thank you so much for all of your help as soon as I get everything shipped I will reach out!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I got the goods! Can you help set up for me?
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type-? This will depend on placement--- fine mesh it needs to go inside tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- on top it needs to be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor-- if you need things to hang w/ let me know I will post some

JudesdragonK

Bearded Dragon Egg
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type-? This will depend on placement--- fine mesh it needs to go inside tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- on top it needs to be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor-- if you need things to hang w/ let me know I will post some
Fine mesh. How do I hang inside?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fine mesh. How do I hang inside?
You can use these
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties--fishing line potted plant wire hangers or I use this stuff it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
It does not get hot --- let me know how it goes --- make sure you have your basking decor piece directly under it after you get the UVB hung --- replace the 10.0 bulb out in approx 1 year I do mine about a month before

JudesdragonK

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can use these
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties--fishing line potted plant wire hangers or I use this stuff it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
It does not get hot --- let me know how it goes --- make sure you have your basking decor piece directly under it after you get the UVB hung --- replace the 10.0 bulb out in approx 1 year I do mine about a month before
Thank you sm for your help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where did you put the wire so that you can still close the top
UVB wire you can either set the screen on it run it out the back or cut some of the screen w/.wire cutters snip a couple of the mesh holes enough to.get thru- wrap the hook and wire stuff I posted around the fixture if your using that stuff

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
UVB wire you can either set the screen on it run it out the back or cut some of the screen w/.wire cutters snip a couple of the mesh holes enough to.get thru- wrap the hook and wire stuff I posted around the fixture if your using that stuff
Can you post a picture so we can see what you mean?