• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New baby, not eating much

Ailliekat55

Bearded Dragon Egg
Got a new baby a week ago (last sun), breeder said was eating great, bugs and salad, etc.

Set up in a 40 gallon breeder. Substrate is slate tile. Screen lid, arcadia UVB 12% with 100watt intense Basking bulb. Probe temp is 104-106 (waiting on temp gun).

First day, she ate several bugs. It's gone down hill from there. Now she isn't eating salad, and maybe 2-3 bugs a day. She won't touch horn worm, calcium worm, barely dubia or supers.

At this point trying to contact breeder. Not really sure what to do, I haven't been getting her out or anything since she's not eating much of anything.

Suggestions? Should I deworm her to be on the safe side? I really have no idea what to do at this point.
She is pooping.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got a new baby a week ago (last sun), breeder said was eating great, bugs and salad, etc.

Set up in a 40 gallon breeder. Substrate is slate tile. Screen lid, arcadia UVB 12% with 100watt intense Basking bulb. Probe temp is 104-106 (waiting on temp gun).

First day, she ate several bugs. It's gone down hill from there. Now she isn't eating salad, and maybe 2-3 bugs a day. She won't touch horn worm, calcium worm, barely dubia or supers.

At this point trying to contact breeder. Not really sure what to do, I haven't been getting her out or anything since she's not eating much of anything.

Suggestions? Should I deworm her to be on the safe side? I really have no idea what to do at this point.
She is pooping.
No deworming unless a parasite test is done--- you dont want to medicate her unless you haft to -- what is going on is relocation stress -- your breeder should have mentioned that - let her acclimate to her tank and surroundings and her appetite will pick up - where is the UVB? top of screen or inside the tank -the screen will determine where the UVB needs to go as far as distance and placement--- the husbandry sounds really good - keep her hydrated w/ a eye dropper less bathing will keep the stress down - offer her water off her nose let her drink till she stops - you can also rinse the salads before serving and she will get hydration thru them as well --

Ailliekat55

Bearded Dragon Egg
No deworming unless a parasite test is done--- you dont want to medicate her unless you haft to -- what is going on is relocation stress -- your breeder should have mentioned that - let her acclimate to her tank and surroundings and her appetite will pick up - where is the UVB? top of screen or inside the tank -the screen will determine where the UVB needs to go as far as distance and placement--- the husbandry sounds really good - keep her hydrated w/ a eye dropper less bathing will keep the stress down - offer her water off her nose let her drink till she stops - you can also rinse the salads before serving and she will get hydration thru them as well --
Top of the screen until we can mount inside, she isn't eating salad at this point. And I don't remember relocation stress lasting this long when I had beardies many years ago. I'm using the arcadia pro T5 UVB kit 12%. And we're worried about the basking bulb melting the reflector. So it's at 2/3 of the tank (starting at basking site) with her heat lamp in front on top of screen.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Top of the screen until we can mount inside, she isn't eating salad at this point. And I don't remember relocation stress lasting this long when I had beardies many years ago. I'm using the arcadia pro T5 UVB kit 12%. And we're worried about the basking bulb melting the reflector. So it's at 2/3 of the tank (starting at basking site) with her heat lamp in front on top of screen.
The two dont need to be next to each other --- w/ it being on top of your screen it will block 30% of the rays -- but the screen needs to be a wide hole type --- if its not it does need to go inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- for a wide hole 8-10 inches ---- relocation stress is very common now days - please get your UVB adjusted as needed it will make the acclimation to his tank a lot faster --- please go slow w/ him and let him adjust - hes a little guy in a big world ---
3 M command fasteners --- fishing line -- long plastic zip ties -- picture hanging wire all good to hand inside the tank