• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby! How to get them used to you!

K.E.W.T.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! This is Elliot! She is a bit of a nervous beardie! How do I get her used to me! Every time I approach her home she puffs out her beard at me and turns black! She will take greens out of my hand and sometimes she will let me hold her but you can tell she’s extremely uneasy so I usually just don’t touch her! What else can I do to help her learn that I’m not going to kill her! Lol I want her to like me!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! This is Elliot! She is a bit of a nervous beardie! How do I get her used to me! Every time I approach her home she puffs out her beard at me and turns black! She will take greens out of my hand and sometimes she will let me hold her but you can tell she’s extremely uneasy so I usually just don’t touch her! What else can I do to help her learn that I’m not going to kill her! Lol I want her to like me!
Time and patience ---- place a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the hide something w/ your smell on it - she will get used to your scent- next approach from the side never over head they have a 3rd eye on top of her head for predators -- hand feed some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com add them to the tops of the salads they make good salad lures order the size NO bigger than the space between her eyes DO NOT dust them feed as many as you want they are another good staple feeder and a good way to hand tame them -- pet her in the tank getting her used to you the flaring up is normal she is scared and she is going to haft to learn to trust you thats where the time and patience comes in -- she needs time to acclimate to her tank and surroundings ---- here is a bowl you can order or get one similar for feeding and keeping the BSFL in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Make sure your UVB is a long tube fixture NO coils
Your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate place the probe on the spot where she sits for basking for 10 min or so get temp it should be 105-110 for a baby you want surface temps NOT air or ambient temps -- w/ all this in order things will go smoothly for her --- if any of this is off she will quit eating all together ---- right now shes going thru relocation stress so just work w/ her -- if you need help w/ the lighting UVB please ask I can post websites for UVB etc -- make sure your using a CLEAR bright white basking bulb too NO off white or yellowish bulb that clear bright white is going to give off UV which she needs -- an example of a what I am talking about is Exo Terra Intense basking bulb NO Infrared bulbs NO daytime bulbs please they have a coating on them that is not good fro the eyes

K.E.W.T.

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have been feeding her mainly kale… this is okay? What other good greens can I feed her, aside from collard as they are hard to find where I am from

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have been feeding her mainly kale… this is okay? What other good greens can I feed her, aside from collard as they are hard to find where I am from
I sent a website for nutrition kale is great look on the website I posted link for

K.E.W.T.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also I read that baby bearded will shed once a week almost… she hasn’t even shown signs of starting to shed, is it just because she is stressed?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also I read that baby bearded will shed once a week almost… she hasn’t even shown signs of starting to shed, is it just because she is stressed?
Could be -- dragons grow at different rates and at different times -- what you want to do is make sure your basking temps and UVB are correct ---- if you want to go over them w/ me I can help you if there is something off --

Joigannon

Bearded Dragon Egg
When they're babies, they need far more protein than fruits/veggies. Their diet will invert as they get older. How old is she? I have a 4 month and he eats about 20-30 crickets or 5-8 dubias a day. He's not very interested in greens yet, so I hand feed them when I can, teasing him so he goes after it. No mealworms, and only live insects. I've had a lot of luck with crickets and dubias. You can gut-load the dubias, too, to make sure their packed of nutrition. I put mustard greens, butternut squash, bell peppers, etc in the keeper with them and they feed on that, and baby beardie will feed on them. Also, make sure to dust with calcium and other vitamins. I got mine as a hatchling and he's only shed once, and seems like he's about to shed again. How's her poop? Her sleep/wake schedule? Does she seem active or nervous when she's awake? I've come to learn they're pretty fragile as babies and nutrition is super important! Just like any other baby :)

Joigannon

Bearded Dragon Egg
When they're babies, they need far more protein than fruits/veggies. Their diet will invert as they get older. How old is she? I have a 4 month and he eats about 20-30 crickets or 5-8 dubias a day. He's not very interested in greens yet, so I hand feed them when I can, teasing him so he goes after it. No mealworms, and only live insects. I've had a lot of luck with crickets and dubias. You can gut-load the dubias, too, to make sure their packed of nutrition. I put mustard greens, butternut squash, bell peppers, etc in the keeper with them and they feed on that, and baby beardie will feed on them. Also, make sure to dust with calcium and other vitamins. I got mine as a hatchling and he's only shed once, and seems like he's about to shed again. How's her poop? Her sleep/wake schedule? Does she seem active or nervous when she's awake? I've come to learn they're pretty fragile as babies and nutrition is super important! Just like any other baby :)
Also, no food larger than between their eyes. Small dubias and 1/2 inch crickets are what Archie eats right now