• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby Beardie!

cheesethedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
i just got my baby beardie 2days ago. he’s just over a month old. He seems to be pretty shy right now, and only eating one or two crickets each time I offer to him. I’m thinking he’s just trying to get adjusted to his new surroundings. How long does it usually take for baby Beardies to adjust to their new home? I’m a little nervous that he’s not eating enough.

Thunderstorm0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. We got our bearded dragon a week ago. We were told by one of the employees at the store to put the crickets into a smaller tote and then add dragon. It's easier for him to see them/catch them.our tank at home is much larger than the little holding pen he shared and it might've been too big for him to find the crickets (since they hide). Just a thought.

cheesethedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is some info on the UVB ---- basically they are getting NO UVB at all
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--

Best UVB Bulb #1: Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB (Fluorescent Light)

This is without a doubt, one of the most trusted if not THEE most trusted UVB bulb on the market right now for bearded dragons. This fluorescent light will provide an adequate amount of UVB for most enclosures and will last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average.
2214184-center-1
Thank you for the insight and information! I will be getting the the fluorescent fixture tomorrow!

cheesethedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Eventually your baby will stop eating become lethargic --- all signs of the UVB --- it is crucial that the correct lighting be in the tank --- I have seen or heard of more dragons dying because of the coils that are being used --- people are not properly being advised when buying this reptiles and these coils are horrid --- that also goes for correct basking temps--- NO colored lights --- they are harmful to the dragons eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- proper basking light like a bright white bulb that keeps temps to 105-110 for a baby------ UVB also provides calcium to the dragon w/ out it he will become not able to walk and long term can cause seizures ------- he needs the UVB for proper digestion as it helps absorb the nutrients in the food
Thanks! His basking temps are good! I just need to get the fluorescent UVB bulb fixture & will be getting that tomorrow!!

cheesethedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good deal -- you will be avoiding health issues-- just make sure you dont get the length of the tank --- 2/3 of tank size is recommended------ and distances for the T 8 and T 5 are also different so ask if you have anymore questions ----- they need to be able to get away from the UVB if they want to w/ out hiding from it
Thanks. And I’m glad that you mentioned about the length. My enclosures dimensions are 36x18x18. I was going to go with the 30”, but from what you’re suggesting, I should instead go with the 24”?

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
hi i'm new and i have a 10 month old bearded dragon he is well fed and kinda fat but he is not tame because he treats my fingers like food every time i stick them in the tank i feed him 3 large crickets a day and a natural zoo med pellet diet everyday along with fruits and greens once every week when i get him over the thought my fingers are food he will stay on my arm for a little but if i try to touch him he darts or he hisses please help

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Change what your feeding him --- hes not being fed enough for a 10 month old beardie he needs to eat as many live insects like crickets or dubia roaches in a 10-15 minute time span dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and 2 x per week w/ vitamins ------------ you are starving your dragon this he wants to eat your fingers-- he needs to be fresh greens EVERY DAY --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
please start feeding your dragon more than 3 crickets per day is not enough ---- w/ that info please tell me what your using for lighting ---- UVB brand and bulb please ? coil or tube???? what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ???? infrared heat gun ? digital probe? or stick ons????? This is the most crucial thing to keep your dragon healthy----------------- he will eventually quit trying to eat your fingers ----
starting today i will feed him more crickets do they have to be large or small or medium also pet smart told me to feed him that much since i got him and also that the zoo med natural juvenile bearded dragon food with added vitamins and minerals was safe and i should feed my bearded dragon that but ill run to the store today and get some kale i got him a carrot can i feed him carrot raw or cooked cause i cook it til its soft then i feed it to him his basking spot is around 110 degrees the warm side of the tank is 85 to 90 degrees it depends on where your taking about and then the cool side of the tank is around 70 to 75 degrees the humidity is around 20% to 50 % it depends where in the cage and i'm using a stick on thermometer and humidity gauge

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
@dillmonster---- basking temps should be taken w/ a infrared heat gun and or a digital probe I recommend both --- digital can be bought at petsmart or petco for around $5- the infrared heat gun from Home Depot or Lowes- for a around $10-12 - temps on cool side should be 80ish during the day and not below 65 at night--- basking temps for a baby should be 105-110 - you need a bright white basking bulb for that --
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PET STORE PEOPLE ------ they have not a clue as to what they are talking about
the cool side is 66 degrees at night and this is the light i use i use a 50 watt for the Repti-basking spot lamp should i continue feeding him the diet i have him on or just feed him kale and cooked yellow squash and carrots and blueberries

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Carrots do not need to be cooked please check out the website for nutrition- I gave you a link --- if your feeding the crickets carrots do not feed the dragon carrots --- too much vitamin A - food should be cut up or shredded like butternut squash is one----- other squash should be cut small like zuchinni or yellow---- feed him vegies in the morning first w/ like 1-2 small super worms on top to get him to the bowl --- that will get him eating vegies first and you wont have issues later on w/ trying to get him to eat vegies --- right now his diet should be 80% live insects for protein and 20 % vegies that will flip at around a year or so ---- after an hour of the vegies take and put your bugs well crickets wont work but I put my dubieas in the vegies bowl so he does get more vegies when eating his dubias and I put around 10 in the bowl at a time -- sometimes he eats them all sometimes he doesnt--- I will offer them again in the afternoon but most times he wont eat cuz hes still full from breakfast---- forgot to say humidity is fine you dont want it higher than 70
i feed the crickets the bearded dragon diet also because the pet sore told me i could

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
sorry forgot the ubv pic here it is also what should i feed the crickets cause don't they last longer when they are fed

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
this dragon food is not good!!!!! you need fresh--- I sent you a website for nutrition --- please look at it I feed mine mixture of collard turnip and mustard greens more so the collard and turnip -- kale is good - so are carrots as long as your NOT feeding your live insects --- he needs live insects NOT freeze dried -- no nutritional value---- he also need hydration ---- I posted all kinds of info for you ---- the basking light is good you did not say anything about a UVB----THAT IS CRUCIAL --- YOU MUST HAVE UVB-- AND NOT A COIL ONE
BASKING TEMPS AS WELL ---- HE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO DIGEST HIS FOOD AND THIS IS NOT CORRECT YOU WILL HAVE A SICK BEARDIE ON YOUR HANDS ---
i would be feeding him dubia roaches if my foster parents would let me keep them but they said no other bugs and i have a four year old green anole who only eats crickets and i know dubias are better for both of them but im not allowed to have them cause my foster parents also dont want roaches in their house

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
GET RID Of THIS-- ITS GONNA KILL YOUR DRAGON---- I have posted info on UVB
go to the first page of this post ---- there is info I sent cheeseburger about UVB go read it and post questions on that info I have posted --- please let me know if you read that info and ASK questions
ok i'll throw it away and get the tube i was going to do that anyway after i read that ubv post