• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby Bearded NEEDS HELP!!

bdisilvestro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello I just got my first bearded dragon from someone for free! Hes a cute little guy with alot of spunk but after i picked him up i noticed that his front right paw/claw w/e is dislocated or broken!! No skin is punctured and hes running fine on it and moving good chasing crickets and what not!! But Im wondering what can be done will it heal on its own or what should i do!! Heres a picture!!

Picture.jpg

Thank you so much

Brandon

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
im not sure what to do personally but it dont look clever :eek: have you got reputable herp vet take him down there to have a good look at him poor little lad does he seem stressed or anythin or just gettin on with things cos lookin at the pics he just dont seem bothered by it but still could be causing him undue stress i think herp vet is best option
paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you know anything about his past? Was he injured or could it be a birth defect. It's a good sign that he's functioning fine on it. But I have to agree with Paul. I'd take him to a vet to have it checked out.

Here's a link if you need to find on in your area:
Herp Vet Directory

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, good catch, Janie. Didn't see that. Too busy focusing on the leg.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Had to get out my mag glass to be sure of what i thought i was seeing...
Janie

bdisilvestro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That string is a crickets antenna :). And idk if it's a birth defect or not I got him for free and the person told me he was healthy and what not but it was dark outside when I got him from the guys house and I didn't notice till I got home! He moves good and climbs still just has the messed up hand!! Do you think I still can use a tile or slate for his ground? Or should I stick with the sand I have in there now?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I meant by his head... saw the cricket in the back...
To be honest... this doesn't look good. How old is this "baby" supposed to be?
Also, a call back to the person you got him from might be in order...
Take out the sand... use paper towels, as substrate...
Try to keep everything on one level... That might mean bringing down the UVB and heat lower too...
Where are you located ? I'll help find a herp vet with you.
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You should layer some papertowels or newspaper. Something to give the tank some cushion. Also, in my opinion it is either a sever wound to the leg or a possible sign of a calcium defficiency. He needs to have a high grade fine powder calcium and a very good uv light. Personally, if your tank is big enough (40gallon breeder or larger), I suggest getting a strong MVB such as the Trex. The output from that bulb is very superior to a Reptisun 10.0(best tube). If you can afford to take him to a qualified Herp vet than that would be a plus as well. Mainly keep a close eye on him.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As everyone points out, I'd remove the sand too.

Do you know anything about his previous setup? Did they have UV? What substrate was he on?

Honestly, I'd take him to a herp vet to have his leg looked at.

bdisilvestro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I emailed the guy ingot him from and he said he got it like that a month ago and he never showed stress or what not! He said he ran on it fine (which I've observed also). He kept him in a 10 gallon with reptile carpet and 1 uv bulb and a heat lamp! I'm getting him a 36g this week and I'll have tile or slate in his new tank!! It really doesn't seem to bother him he's also shedding right now so should I give him a bath today? And if so what's the best way of doing this!! Also I live in chicago!! What does an average vet bill cost I don't wanna spend a ridiculous amount!! Thanks again

Brandon

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sure, go ahead and bath him...
water chest high, baby warm, use your hand as support, for at least ten minutes...
Note how he uses those linbs * as I can see both front legs have issues*, in the water... Let me know or get a video if you can..
Janie
Depends on the vet, what is charged... I feel that you might want to explore having him seen though...
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's a break it appears. just above the wrist. Note the tissue receeding.

Everybody else covered the points you should follow........but...............

Can you tell me about his appetite at this time?

bdisilvestro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As far as eating yesterday was the first day I had him that I fed he ate about 20 crickets and today before work I put some romaine lettuce and carrot shreddings in his tank! I'll feed him more crickets when I get home!!! Ugh this is my first beardie and idk if I will be able to handle everything right ughhh I'll try and get a video today

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok........Janie will help you with a greens salad for a baby. he won't eat much of it, but he will try some from time to time.

yesterday was the first day I had him that I fed he ate about 20 crickets
good start.
now feed him that no less than 2 times a day.

what kind of UVB light do you have? And what kind of calcium do you use?

he'll be fine. His injury may be proportional to his size, but his appetite tells me he's in no pain. this is good and easy to work with.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, so you'll want the collards/turnip/mustard greens as your base for the salad.
Since there is no pain evident, you can add shredded squashes, the brighter the color, the better.
This is your base salad... Now you can add as treats 1-2 times a week, a couple of tiny pieces of green/yellow/red pepper, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberry, grape, or any of the black items on that list I referenced you to, above.

Janie

bdisilvestro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a 18inch zilla 10 UVB I believe then I have a 100 watt basking bulb!! Should I get tile or slate?? And I hope he eats the greens the guy who had him b4 me said he never fed him greens!! I have reptical calcium and herpative vitamins! I've only have given him the calcium with the crickets so far!! I would love to keep him if he will be alright but idk formy first beardie if I should be learning with a special needs one :/ so I hope all goes well!!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
your lighting doesn't bad. Zilla isn't the best brand, watch him for continuously closed eyes and decreased appetite over the next 2 weeks. if this occurs, you'll take the bulb back. Next time order repti sun 10. You'll want to change the zilla at about the 5 month mark I believe (someone with more up to date info can clue you in better)

your vits and calcium are good. You'll want to offer a portion of crix per day with calcium on 5 days and 2 days with multi vitamins.

To be honest, in another month, you won't know he's special needs. He'll make his own way in this world, and probably be stronger for it if you start him out right. it sounds like you've already got good heads up on that, so i don't see a problem. Currently, unless there is an open wound on that leg, I don't see a horrible issue at this time.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got some Vets in your area... Which are you closer to...

Byron de la Navarre, DVM
Animal House of Chicago
2752 West Lawrence Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
Tel: (773) 878-8002

Dr. Ronald Bray
Crest Hill Animal Hospital
1807 Plainfield Rd.
Crest Hill, IL 60435
Tel: (815) 729-1155
Fax: (815) 729-4785

Katie Gaudette, DVM